Dodgy car dealers

Page 1 / 2
jonrich, Feb 17, 7:09pm
Bought a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder recently from a dealer. We test drove the car taking it for a good drive. Noticed a few small things like the map light lens was missing on one side, the radio didn't work (but CD player did) and the dealer told us it had had a new battery as there was something draining the battery. We negotiated a good discount ($1,750) on the basis that we would fix these issues at our own cost. Hubby is a sparky and keen amatuer mechanic so thought he could resolve.

We ordered a new lens ($114 from nissan!) and hubby set about resolving the electrical issues. 12 hours + and 10 days later, he finally finds the problem with the radio. The aerial plug had been disconnected under the centre console. Fair enough. But what was alarming was that the map light lens was also under the centre console, in perfect working order.

Anyone else smell a rat!

cpnnz, Feb 17, 7:18pm
I don't know what makes the dealer dodgy reading your post.

eagles9999, Feb 17, 7:28pm
+1Seems the dealer gave you exactly what you wanted.

dunedin_moto, Feb 17, 7:28pm
Sounds like you still have some change from your discounted price and that the dealer was pretty honest.

NZTools, Feb 17, 9:31pm
It took your husband 12 hours chasing a radio fauld to find the aerial was dissconnected! And he's a sparky!.

jmma, Feb 17, 9:34pm
Anyone else smell a rat!

jonrich (52 )8:09 am, Mon 18 Feb #1

Better look under the rear seat, that rat might be hiding under there (o:

daryl14, Feb 17, 10:06pm
The only Rats in this story are the ones at the Nissan dealership. Do not ever go back there. Ever. Spoken from a Nissan owner.E V E R.

cpnnz, Feb 17, 10:10pm
I'm sure any dealer would discount $1750 on any car he knew only needed an aerial plugged in properly and a plastic lens fished out from under some trim.sounds like you got a pretty good deal!

fordkiwi27, Feb 17, 11:24pm
haha wtf .

daryl14, Feb 17, 11:27pm
It's possible that when the dealer got this car, it had a good stereo in it and they did a fairly hasty swap out, and the current one was installed without the aerial plugged in. Some dealers I've seen seem to almost have a sideline business in CD players going on.

However nothing you can do about it as you bought the car with "That" stereo in it. If the centre console has been apart, your map lense could have easily fallen out and gone down the back or through a gap in the trim. No big deal.

carstauranga001, Feb 18, 12:47am
Exactly my thought. CD worked so unit had power. Isn't it now elimentary thatit's an aerial (reception) problem!

edangus, Feb 18, 1:25am
More likely the prior owner slapped it in prior to trade. I have been guilty of that.

mrfxit, Feb 18, 1:25am
The only dodgy thing I can see is how much discount the buyer suckered out of the seller for a disconnected aerial

sw20, Feb 18, 2:23am
Why don't you go back and take the food out of his children's mouths too!

shorebee, Feb 18, 3:32am
that sounds likehalf the price of the pathfinder

meathead_timaru, Feb 18, 3:39am
I agree.

matarautrader, Feb 18, 4:01am
Had to check to see where OP came from as it sound like something the local Nissan dealer would do ( except you wouldn't get that size discount from him!)

phillip.weston, Feb 18, 4:32am
so you bought a car at a severely reduced discount because it has problems, and now you find that it actually does have (relatively minor) problems. Would you have rather the dealer spent $200-400 fixing the issues himself and charging you the full price instead! Can't have your cake and eat it too!

shaun16, Feb 18, 4:51am
i would agree with this. if they had a $1000 head unit they aint gona leave it in the car. sounds like you got a good deal with the money off for what it needed done to it. its not our fault or the dealers fault that youre husband took so long to diagnose the fault

ksam, Feb 18, 4:51am
Perhaps you could let us know who the dealer is, he might get a bit of business come his way.

secca2, Feb 18, 6:16am
sounds like you owe him $1500

kazbanz, Feb 18, 6:20am
Under the BSC act you are required to refund the difference between your price and the correct price. Also Id suggest Hubbe resit his trade certs as it doesnt take 10 hours to see a radio arial aint working.--Even if you have to run a whole new cable

gunhand, Feb 18, 6:42am
Sorry, I dont get it either!Appart from you now have a spare lense I don't see any issue at all. All I can read into this is the dealer disconected the ariel and took lense off and tossed it somewhere hoping someone would come along find these issues and ask for a $1750 discount so he could move the unit.Im confused.If I was the dealer I woulda said NOPE, Ill get you a new stereo. $100 one would do. And order a $114 lense. And he keeps most of the discount. AND hes up a stereo when he found the problem while removeng it LOL. Id be more worried about the battery drain problem.

dr.doolittle, Feb 18, 8:11am
Nope, I'd be more worried about this.
Hubby is a sparky and keen amatuer mechanic .

jonrich (52 )8:09 am, Mon 18 Feb #1

carstauranga001, Feb 18, 8:16am
Hubbies been at work working late on the car. Yeah Right!