Vehicle Registration

phptek, Mar 23, 9:29am
Hi folks,

Say I see a nice motor at a car yard, I'm keen to buy but it isn't registered yet (no plates). What's the procedure here! As-in, if it's got no plates it can't be licensed either, so how do dealers expect purchasers to be able to legally drive the thing off the yard and home!

Thanks a lot

curlcrown, Mar 23, 9:31am
Because upon paying a deposit the dealer will register the car to your name and afix the plates.

sandypheet, Mar 23, 6:01pm
Some take the plates off,stop theives pinching them,or maybe the car hasnt hada compliance check yet,(if recently imported).

gilco2, Mar 23, 7:21pm
I bought one 6 months back.Not registered on the car lot.Went for a drive in itm checked it over and went back and said I will buy it.As we were filling in the paperwork. the car dealer owner was getting new wof and registration on it.All done by time paperwork was completed.

casper35, Mar 23, 7:27pm
Normal way they do it so the car doesnt have to be regoed in the yards name it just goes straight into the new owners name.

franc123, Mar 23, 8:47pm
Yep bugger all point in having registered and licensed vehicles sitting about the place unused, just a waste of money.

pebbles61, Mar 23, 10:47pm
Yep, this is why they 'trade' plate is it not!