WOF sheet meaning of "Alternator belt u/s"

ilottl, Aug 12, 2:52am
So car came back from WOF. Passed but on the sheet was "Alternator belt u/s" "Left CV boot u/s". What does u/s mean?

skull, Aug 12, 3:00am
Unserviceable. it means replace them.

kazbanz, Aug 12, 3:35am
It also means you are likely to end up with no PS soon

muzz67, Aug 12, 4:15am
I prefer 'utterly stuffed'

bjmh, Aug 12, 4:53am
u/s is a polite way of saying its fornicated

lookoutas, Aug 12, 5:41am
And it probably means you shouldn't turn up there for the next WOF without them fixed.

marte, Aug 12, 12:58pm
"Un Safe'?

ianab, Aug 13, 11:27am
They aren't "fail the WOF" problems, They are "Going to break down on the side of the road soon problems". The testing guys just noted them down as a favour to you.

If the belt breaks, you soon stop. If you keep driving with a split CV boot, the CV joint gets worn out, and you eventually stop.

"And it probably means you shouldn't turn up there for the next WOF without them fixed."

Or, if you don't fix them, you wont GET to your next WOF check.

sr2, Aug 13, 11:40am
I wasn't aware that the condition of your alternator belt was a WOF issue.
Could you please post a link to the relevant regulations/legislation?

a.woodrow, Aug 13, 12:06pm
A belt that drives the power steering pump can be failed. It might be drawing a long bow to fail a belt that doesn't run the power steering although an inspector might on the basis that the broken belt could then foul the p/s belt.

4. The power steering:

c) has a hose, pump drive, drive belt or pump mounting that is insecure, damaged or has significantly deteriorated

arnold4, Aug 14, 4:35am
It means unserviceable. Common term used in aviation. Means its buggered

gsimpson, Aug 14, 5:10am
Bit harsh on the poster. Did you not read "Or, if you don't fix them, you wont GET to your next WOF check. "

lugee, Aug 14, 5:31am
That's a very distant eventually. I know many people who have driven on CV joints that sound like jackhammers for years and years.

lookoutas, Aug 14, 7:02am
You guys are digressing. Most of us know that a car can run for miles on a clacky CV, or that an alternator belt is not a WOF issue. But if your mechanic points out a problem with your car that would be of benefit for you to fix, and you turn up 6 months later with it not fixed, they might not want to help you any more.

Now if you decipher what you read correctly - I suggested that you "should" fix it, and ianab suggested that "you wont make it"
Nothing is mentioned about regulations, just some good advise on taking heed, as I myself have done on many occasions.

franc123, Aug 14, 7:18am
Lol, not hard to tell most of you aren't AVI's, alternator belts are a WoF issue, if the vehicle in question is diesel and has an alternator driven vacuum pump. If this isn't the case be thankful the inspector mentioned it given there was no obligation to do so, its clear a good inspection got done.

sr2, Aug 14, 8:50am
As far as braking assistance is concerned the failure of an alternator belt on a diesel vehicle would produce the same result as a stalled motor in a petrol powered car. Considering the modern vacuum suspended mastervac is capable of at least 2 to 3 applications with no vacuum supply it's hard to understand the point you're trying to make?

mk3zephyr, Aug 14, 9:34am
Had a bloke come into work because he had blown a P/Steer hose and had a hydraulic hose company who run around in yellow vans make him a new one. Comes in crying because they failed him at VTNZ because you could see where they had brazed the fittings into new lifesaver hose tails (which is pretty standard, Ive made hundreds of them), had this issue before. Easy fix, take the hose out, give the outside a squirt of brakeclean, Mask off the ferrule and give the offending area a squirt of black zinc spraypaint, Remove said masking tape and refit hose, VTNZ now happy, Apparantly they will fail a hose if they can see the brazing but a lick of paint to cover it is ok. All my fittings are painted before i assemble the hose and a lot cheaper than yellow van man.

franc123, Aug 14, 10:04am

sr2, Aug 14, 10:35am
I rest my case, now how long have you been with VTNZ?

franc123, Aug 14, 10:53am
What case? I don't make the rules, I was merely pointing out to the non believers that an alternator belt considered to be not fit for further service where a vacuum pump is involved is a valid RfR. You've just seen it for yourself, as you requested earlier, if you don't agree with it complain to NZTA, not me. And I'm still at least 20 years too young and enjoying life too much to be considering a career with VTNZ. Thankyou.

sr2, Aug 14, 11:00am
LOL; I'm just winding you up mate.
Got-ya hook line and sinker!

franc123, Aug 14, 11:08am
Pleased to be of amusement to you. Now go and make sure your belts are up to standard.

sr2, Oct 8, 1:20am
LOL; you forgot to inquire about the state of "me bracers".