1991 Toyota Hilux help please!

rylan11, Sep 20, 10:32pm
Hi team. I've found a nice 1991 hilux single cab 4x4 that has a 1998cc 4cyl petrol done 196,000 kms that I know nothing about. All my other hilux's had the 2.8 diesel. Does anyone have any advice for me on these engines please. Are they ok? What should I look out for?

Thanks heaps

muzz67, Sep 20, 11:17pm
Keep an eye open for petrol stations. They'll become your friends.

tweake, Sep 21, 12:55am
sounds like 3y engine. gutless and thirsty but very reliable.
on the plus side it should be possible to convert to EFI as surfs came with the efi version.

mrfxit, Sep 21, 4:44am
Agreed, Toyota "Y" engines are generally very reliable but because they are often put in heavy bodys, they get pretty thirsty. when loaded.

mugenb20b, Sep 21, 4:56am
Yes, bulletproof but make sure there's no rusty water in the radiator. Very easy to work on too.

rylan11, Sep 21, 5:13am
Hey thanks guys. Its just had a new radiator put so that's good.

rylan11, Sep 21, 5:50am
Does anyone know if they have cam belts or chains please?

tony9, Sep 21, 5:58am
Yes, someone will know. And google will find them easily.

jmma, Sep 21, 6:22am

ema1, Sep 21, 7:25am
Chain driven camshaft and they are Over Head Valve (OHV) design.

intrade, Sep 22, 4:17am
any toyota petrol with 4 cilinder is bulletproof of the 80s to late 90s

bwg11, Sep 22, 6:15am
No. 18R's were not that durable. I had two from new, both were burning oil and had timing chain noise and low oil pressure before 150k when sold. Both were worked hard, lots of cold starts, but regularly serviced.

franc123, Sep 22, 7:13am
Some of those E and 2E used in Starlets and Corollas turned into oil burning corrosion prone (as in cooling system corrosion) smoky head gasket blowers too, even reasonably well maintained ones. The Y family are pretty tough but the magic badge doesn't guarantee reliability of anything, you need to still be getting a PPI to check for signs of Toyota Slob Syndrome. That engine would have worked hard pushing a 4x4 Hilux along.

mack77, Sep 22, 11:24am
The Toyota 3Y petrol motor is an excellent motor with a very long life. It's a low reving high torque motor used in utes and vans. They don't have a timing belt or chain as they don't have an overhead camshaft; they use pushrods to operate the valves.
It's a strong motor as indicated by the manufacturers label on my Hiace van which specified that it was rated to operate with a GCM of 4.050 tonne, provided that the trailer was braked.

jmma, Sep 22, 9:05pm
Wonders what moves the pushrods and how that is connected to crankshaft, Umm will have to put some thought into this. (o:

wayned, Sep 22, 9:33pm
wonder what the double row 62 chain is for them?

poppy62, Sep 22, 9:38pm
jmma wrote:
Wonders what moves the pushrods and how that is connected to crankshaft, Umm will have to put some thought into this. (o:[/quote

Hi mate! hope all's good. It's a hydro-innoculated gizmo that is connected to the ulterior -inferior latex band mechanism that is run off the opposed sequential crankshaft throw that emulates the pistonal movement thus cuasing the elevating of the pushrod. Really basic Toyota technology. Albeit very confusing and unreliable for most operations.

mrfxit, Sep 22, 10:20pm
LMAO . DING ;-)

jmma, Sep 23, 12:27am
All good hear mate, hope all well with you.
Understood your explanation very well, just having a problem working out what a "cuasing" is :oP

poppy62, Sep 23, 12:36am
Cuasing? hell! that's the Ryukyuan (dialect) Technical jargon used by the Toymo techies for illustrating why their engines were originally copies of BMW.

jmma, Sep 23, 12:39am
PMSL, Good on yah (o:

gusthe1, May 17, 10:26am
At last. Something on this board that the layman can understand