Got a quote from 3 Ford dealers in Auckland

Page 2 / 2
m16d, Oct 3, 8:13pm
Only sensible post here.

carclan, Oct 3, 9:07pm
The Government will be onto trade me before to long too. I was quoted six week delivery on a Haynes workshop manual, I purchased from Australia albeit more expensive than here and received it in three days

tamarillo, Oct 3, 10:43pm
10% for same thing? I've bought heaps overseas and often se cheap Chinese copies very cheap. But identical parts are usually within 50-70 %.

pebbles61, Oct 3, 10:49pm
Pays to shop around aye. I asked for a price to get a timing belt done, 2 workshops said $600-800 and a stealership said $3100 lol.

ralphdog1, Oct 4, 1:00am
Rear wheel hub for my Honda, x Honda NZ $337 + GST and not in stock in NZ so quoted 8 days delivery.
Ordered from Amazon, $80 including freight, on my work bench in 6 days.
I can relate to wanting to support NZ retailers, but at 300% mark up I don't think so.

countrypete, Oct 4, 2:19am
Here's a question for you. Given the difference in price, who do you think it is, that is making the big margin?

dr.doolittle, Oct 4, 2:21am
John Key?

mimik3, Oct 4, 2:52am
The none OEM suppliers are making the big margin. Their overheads are a lot less.

carclan, Oct 4, 4:47am
OEM is not quite what you think, the car manufactures may only accept 80% of what they are supplied by the subcontractors, the rest ends up sold outside of this market.

mimik3, Oct 4, 10:44am
For any new part an OEM supplier cannot supply to the aftermarket unless the car company has approved it. The car company owns the design and has paid for the development. Normally the car company will hold the rights for 1 to 3 years and then release the part for OEM to supply the public. A non OEM manufacturer will just make a copy as soon as a new item is available and has no R & D costs so can generally supply the unit for a cheaper price and has a better margin.
When you consider that VW made a profit of less than 2.5% on the value of its assets in 2014 that is not a big margin at all.
And somehow this year I think they will not be making any profit.

craigsmith, Oct 6, 2:18am
For all those asking. It was genuine. From Californian based "Sunrise Ford". Has Ford logo on it and came in Motorcraft box. No issues. I actually bought the "expensive" option, the alternative was a generic part - e.g. I looked at a compatible PCV valve from ACDelco (GM) for $6.50, which probably also would have been fine, but I really wanted to compare like for like.

All in the car now and working fine.

Recently I bought a new gearbox/engine roll restrictor mount for my Mondeo, comparing quote from dealers here I ended up purchasing the same part intended for Jag X-Type from a Jaguar dealer in the UK for about 1/3 less including UK VAT :) now that should say something.

mm12345, Oct 6, 2:40am
The PCV is a plastic tube with a spring inside and a valve, somewhat less complicated than a $0.50 ball point pen. Tooling costs need to be recovered - but that also applies to third-party makers.
The only "R&D" was probably by the petrochemical company who developed the plastic used who are probably recovering costs at the rate of a few cents per item for the plastic.
If the maker had actually done something new, like invent a new type of PCV, then sure - but they'd have also been able to patent it. As it is, all they probably did was "design" it so that the right sized hose fit in one end, and it plugged in to the right sized grommet on the other end.
If they'd done some proper R&D, then the OP wouldn't be replacing it.

mimik3, Mar 18, 8:06am
But then if it was made bullet proof, you wouldn't be able a buy a new car as the cost would be prohibitive.
Remember there has to be a balance between cost and saleability. We can make anything that will not break down, but would the general public pay for it?