Police on private property inspecting a vehicle

Page 1 / 2
bumfacingdown, Jan 13, 6:21pm
What is the relevance of that question to the situation brought up in the OP, were the cops snooping around looking thru the windows at night, thought not.

exwesty, Jan 13, 10:35pm
Nope I have good neighbours, the Police were here and were spotted and they let my sons know what was happening.
Neighbourhood watch even if it's not who you're expecting.

esky-tastic, Jan 13, 10:42pm
I don't recall saying it was.

smac, Jan 13, 10:43pm
So, who's 'they'? You mean the Police let your sons know, or your neighbours did?

What have the Police said about why they were there?

bumfacingdown, Jan 13, 10:47pm
If there is no one at home, as was this case, who exactly are they explaining to?

esky-tastic, Jan 13, 10:47pm
Ignore them, they can't help it.

(Their mum was probably frightened by a police dog or something)

smac, Jan 13, 10:54pm
The OP has said their son(s) were home.

klrider, Jan 14, 12:49am
Yea, nah. Not even close. No wonder people are running scared if they are all as uninformed as yourself I can see why.

klrider, Jan 14, 12:51am
What on earth has that got to do with anything here? Nothing like a bit of emotional exaggeration to back up the bias aye.

klrider, Jan 14, 12:55am
Giggle, no, they don't. Unless they have actually committed an offence while there, you wont get charged just for being drunk and mistakenly wandering on someones property. They might take you away for your own safety, thats all. Unless, of course you decide to start peeking and peering, or stealing, or have tools to commit a burglary etc.

elect70, Jan 14, 2:55am
Anyone is allowed to walk on to your property , but cant go into buildings . If car is parked outside cops can check it for whatever reason . They can require you to take a breath test if they believe you were DUI . But others have more powers , like Electrical Saftey authority can enter your house & inspect it if they believe it has illegal wiring , refusal is punishable by prison & or $10 000 fine

bumfacingdown, Jan 14, 5:58am
In the header and opening post?
" No one home, no search warrant etc

Are they allowed to do this?
Neighbours saw Police inspecting my wife's car, parked on our property today and writing down details?"
Musta missed something in that post.

tony9, Jan 14, 6:05am
Hey this is TradeMe, you have to read between the lines. And what appears in a post frequently has only a fleeting relationship with reality.

bumfacingdown, Jan 14, 6:06am
And others fill in the gaps between the lines.

smac, Jan 14, 7:42am
Indeed, the story is changing.

If I came home and neighbour told me Police had been on my property I would be picking up the phone for a quick chat. Not jumping on a message board.

SO the options are: neighbour embellished the truth, OP embellished the story, or OP forgot to mention all of the history there is to this story, including why the Police might be there, and why he would be reluctant to call them.

emmerson1, Jan 14, 8:33am
If I am in my house getting beaten to death, I would rather not have the cops standing out on the footpath waiting to see if my place is on the list of objectors before coming in. There could be plenty of reasons for them to be checking a car. Maybe it resembles one stolen or involed in a chase (you know the chaes half of us want them to abandon and find the car later). Maybe someone has been interfering with it, and they are actually doing you a faviour by checking.

billyfieldman, Jan 15, 1:37am
Police is already understaffed and have better things to do than randomly inspect a random car in a random neighbourhood. They must have had a good reason to spend time there.

esky-tastic, Jan 15, 2:16am
When it comes to the law and tnzw it appears that anybody that doesn't agree with his myoptic point of view is immediately labelled as a 'police sycophant'

therafter1, Jan 15, 2:28am
Get a bit upset when someone attributes a statement to you that you haven't made, odd, do you operate using two sets of rules all of the time or only on message boards!

therafter1, Jan 15, 2:30am
Hah, well done, I agree totally . ooooops, sorry, that's right, it was you that was the culprit lol

elect70, Jan 15, 2:38am
Council employees , automatically allowed on your property to check for storm water entering the sewer etc , why the big song & dance over plod , for all you anti plod lot know he may have come to talk to the residents ,may be about thefts in the area , does he need written permission first . . ?

bumfacingdown, Jan 15, 5:45am
Dick

craigs_workshop, Jan 15, 6:58am
yep

they are well known to not give a stuff for personal property when raiding peoples places

part of the trouble with respecting the police force is that its staffed by human beings - & they can be total c*nts when they want to be

esky-tastic, Jan 15, 8:19pm
Good!.

esky-tastic, Jan 15, 8:22pm
And you have a black belt on that subject sonny!