Ignition issue in '04 Legacy

_peas, Dec 28, 9:31pm
So picked the car up for airport parking (reputable company not cowboys) with the key stuck in the ignition. They drove it to the front of the yard approx 2 hours before I got there and turned it off but the key could not be removed and the ignition jammed. So ignition won't turn, key can't be removed. AA came and managed to free up ignition to allow me to start the car and turn it off but the key won't return fully to the position where I could remove it. Locksmith had a quick look and said likely auto trans lock issue. Fantastic that I can drive it but can't really leave it anywhere with the keys in relying on locked Subaru doors to keep thieves out. The alarm won't arm either using the spare key remote. Any ideas?

intrade, Dec 28, 9:36pm
yes well you cant arm the alarm if the key is in the ignition.
Try move it neutral park and try remove the key each time you went back to park .

intrade, Dec 28, 9:42pm
also check your brake lights work correctly on rear to see if the switch functions i googled that for you to read look at immages ignition lock inhibitor switch brake light switch and control box might be on your subaru
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/48609-neutral-safety-switch-location/

_peas, Dec 28, 9:44pm
Great stuff. cheers, will give those a run and see if there is any joy.

_peas, Dec 28, 10:16pm
Update: no joy, I can hear the auto lockout disengaging as I have removed the steering column cowling. Brake switch seems to be working as well. Seems odd that the barrel went from not budging to almost fully operational. I am no expert but it would seem to indicate that the problem would likely be internal barrel? A tumbler loosened by the AA and now in a position to stop the lock returning fully? I'm at a bit of a loss.

marmar1, Apr 20, 11:01am
Take your car to wingers Subaru they have a workshop on the shore.