Sump Plug Thread, Diamante V6.

volvolad, Nov 14, 7:51am
The above thread in the oil sump of the above has worn, thread on plug ok, replaced gasket washer on plug, fitted, but still have small amount of oil leaking from it, will it take much to have the hole in the sump re-threaded, your thoughts, thanks.

cabrio1, Nov 14, 8:00am
You could helicoil it, or degrease thoroughly and put a bit of heat resistant RTV around the plug.
One will cost about $10 and take half an hour, the other will be 10 x that.

aj.2., Nov 14, 8:00am
Run some thread tape onto it , then wind it in , that will do the job.
You will not need much , and only at the head end , so that none goes into the sump.

sr2, Nov 14, 8:05am
+1. Don't use RTV, it's not a good look for your oiling system.
If you want to use gunk use something designed to do the job properly like Threebond.

cabrio1, Nov 14, 8:15am
Juditious use of RTV will prevent it entering the oil system.
Slodge it all over however won't.

bwg11, Nov 14, 8:29am

aj.2., Nov 14, 9:14am
Just a small diameter O ring does the same trick , wind it up against the head then Just tighten .
So many people over tighten the sump bolts, thus causing a problem of stripped threads.
I mean they don't have to hold parts together, it only to fill the hole.
So long as the head is against the sump face , then a small tighten
Then thats enough.

planespotterhvn, Nov 14, 11:09am
Check that the seal washer or O-ring is in good condition and not sitting on some old seal residue. Scrape the surfaces under the sump bolt head and the mating face smooth but don't damage the seal faces. The seal is made by the flat face under the bolt head and the sump hole face, not the thread. Don't overtighten or you will strip the threads.

wellyguynz, Nov 16, 8:12am
i would like to know how a thread wears out

a.woodrow, Nov 16, 8:25am
Overtightening

aj.2., Nov 16, 8:51am
The finer the thread the easier it is to strip as the depth of cut is not much.
Yes more threads to grip , but shallow.
Now take a Head bolt , it is a course thread and so you can put the pounds onto it and it will take it.
Sad to say , So many over-tighten sump plugs in fear off them coming undone, but in fact so long as they are done up till they shoulder, then just a slight tighten pressure, thats all they need.
I have seen a few that have been done up so tight that I have had to use a Long Handle bar , and feet braced to move them .
No need for it .

steelman3, Nov 16, 9:01am
you can get an oversized sump plug some that tap there own tread talk to this outfit

http://www.kerzan.co.nz/

phillip.weston, Nov 21, 6:14am
what year Diamante and what engine exactly? I would just be inclined to go to Pick a part and get a replacement sump. On the 95+ shape most of them have a split alloy/tin sump which makes replacing the lower tin section very easy.

ceebee2, Nov 22, 1:28am
When I was working for Mitsi we used to re-tap and fit an oversized plug.

volvolad, Sep 19, 2:10am
Hi Guys, thanks for all your thoughts, sump easy to remove, which we did, re-taped, now all good, thanks.