A police car

Page 1 / 2
serf407, Aug 3, 6:41am
Not such a good day when a Commodore can't keep up with a ute on a gravel road.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/70750597/police-car-rolls-after-third-car-chase-of-the-night-in-northland

mojo49, Aug 3, 6:45am
A speed trap visible/detectable from the greatest distance is the most effective speed control strategy for drivers whose brain and right foot are not connected to each other. If the Police were committed to road safety rather than tax collection they would adopt that strategy. Their orientation to semi-concealed radars in cars, vans and fixed locations only confirms they are revenue rather than safety focused.

cagivachick1, Aug 3, 7:17am
china still does that

esky-tastic, Aug 3, 8:05am
You make too much sense, you'll never get accepted by the 'it's only revenue gathering' crowd!

tintop, Aug 3, 10:10am
I had a guy sit in an unmarked car, with a clipboard, parked about 50m back from a compulsory stop ticking off cars that turned left or right and if they stopped at the stop or not.

I could not believe the rate of observance of the stop control, over 80%

So - the next day he sat in a bus shelter across the road from the stop and this time he had a jacket on with a double sheep counter in each hand.

This time was more realistic, about 80% failed to stop, :)

tamarillo, Aug 3, 10:14am
Oh come on people be fair, it's working so suck it up. Didn't you read yesterday's paper - the road toll is up again!
Eh?

elect70, Aug 4, 2:26am
Provided he isnt parked to eat his donut & coffee tar past at 160 k & see if he follows . But its every good citizens duty to flash their lights to warn of the " road hazard " ahead ie hazardous to your wallet .

cammey, Aug 4, 7:47am
Ring ring. Ring ring.

Hey Bluey, its Muzza. I borrowed ya truck. I've hit a pig and its stuck in the roo bar. Its squirming and squealing and I can't get it out.

No worries cobber, there a knife under the seat. Just stick the pig, and it will come right out when it stops wriggling. Let me know how ya get on.

Ring ring. Ring ring.

Hey Bluey, its Muzza. I stuck the pig like ya said. I got it out allright, but I still need help.

Whats the problem Muzza ?

Its the pigs motorbike. Its stuck under the engine.

wizid, Jan 6, 8:07pm
sitting on the side of the road controls speed .more than any other method .

robotnik, Jan 6, 8:14pm
I remember in some country, possibly England, they were using card board cut outs of police cars for this purpose, which at a distance fooled motorists and made them slow down.

This would defeat the true purpose of speeding fines which is revenue gathering, however.

jason_247, Jan 6, 8:14pm
here i was thinking my throttle and braking controlled speed.

jason_247, Jan 6, 8:15pm
they did it in aussie and drunk ute drivers in the outback consistently ran them down. except they weren't all cardboard and it killed some cops.

pauldw, Jan 6, 9:27pm
Well the camera vans on the Porirua motorway will be safe. They're hidden so far to the left of the road many drivers probably never notice them.

towelynz, Jan 6, 9:43pm
Agree, it doesn't even need a cop in it!

whqqsh, Jan 6, 9:48pm
constant flow is better IMO. I've seen many people touch the brakes when they see a cop car even if they are doing under the limit. Then there was the nose to tail I saw when the car in front braked when seeing the camera van while the car behind was looking at the van but didnt brake. oops

thejazzpianoma, Jan 6, 11:22pm
You should see the dangerous mess when they park the speed camera semi obscured in the middle of the passing lane here. and likewise when they put a cop car at the end of the expressway where the lanes merge.

Clearly you have to be incredibly stupid to not realise that you are creating far more of a hazard than you are supposedly preventing. but it's not about safety.

elect70, Jan 7, 2:56am
Save $$ make blow up replica police cars & put them at end of all passing lanes that will slow them down & bunch traffic into 1 lane .

eddie14, Jan 7, 5:46pm
what a splendid idea , why stop there why don't we have blow up dollies that look like cops and put one on every street corner

3tomany, Jan 7, 7:35pm
that might fill there revenue gap

serf407, Jan 7, 8:02pm
If the Aussies had put a large concrete block behind the cardboard silhouette police cars they might have averted later problems.

elect70, Jan 8, 3:21am
Use drones equiped with automatic speed detection gear & make every car have a unique transponder , data down loaded every day & notices automatically sent to owners . dont need cars or cops . But they are probably already working on that .

jmma, Jan 8, 3:47am
Ssshhhh!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 8, 4:27am
We actually had a trial of cardboard police cars here, in the latish 90's if I remember right. I assume they went by the wayside as there was no money to be made out of them.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 8, 4:29am
Why stop there, why not have compulsory camera's in everyone's houses to make sure no one is smoking illegal substances or beating their wives?

. if some of those that fought and lost their lives for our freedom could see the stupidity of those actively giving our freedom away they would be turning in their graves.

jmma, Jan 8, 4:44am
Over the top!