Buying a car from dealer.

Page 1 / 2
jason_247, Mar 25, 3:13am
so just spent 12k on a subaru outback 3.0.
black with black leather very nice.

had to buy sight unseen as i was travelling alot.

dealer was very helpful. $500 deposit. fully refunadable if i dont like the car when i get there.

got an AA check which said a license plate bulb blown and air filter needed doing.

they did that with plenty of time.

now the couple of gripes i had,
1. the listing said all cars are serviced before selling
this was done but noone can tell me what grade or quality of oil was used so im suspicious its mineral shit and id rather redo it with full synthetic.

2. listing said all cars and fully groomed before sale.
clean inside but the outside has heaps of little scuffs which are easy to polish out and has heaps of wax residue areound the trims which is very obvious on a black car.

the AA check guy managed to miss that the interior lights dont work, the steering wheel has badly worn leather with bits missing and didnt notice that the central locking doesnt work or that the remote unlock from the key doesnt work.

finally. drove the car out and it was coughing 1km later when we got to the first petrol station as the tank was almost bone dry.

all issues i can solve but kinda frustrating that i have to.

Is the motor dealer industry getting so competitive that they cant fill a fuel tank when selling a $12,000 car. or are people just to lazy to give good customer service

tony9, Mar 25, 4:12am
My understanding is that these days you have to buy a new car to get a full tank of fuel.

gunhand, Mar 25, 4:22am
Nope, I brought a car a month ago, 2 new tires, new tow bar (put on myself) and a very full tank of gas, and wasn't a 12k either, bit under that. Oh, and a bottle of JD.

tgray, Mar 25, 4:34am
A full tank of gas could cost $120 and times that by 200 and I could be out $24,000 at years end. No, I don't sell with a full tank unless asked to.
In 12 years I have only had 2 people say they will buy if I fill up the tank for them first. (both women) which I gladly did.

jason_247, Mar 25, 5:11am
i was disturbed by how many lots i went to and the cars were ready to go with snow tyres on them.

one even lied to my face and said they were normal tyres and disputed when i told him they were far from it.

I wasnt expecting a full tank, i know some dealers leave little fuel in so any thefts cant get far without going through a well recorded forecourt but then again i expected a range more than 1km.

$12000 x 200 would be $2,400,000

tamarillo, Mar 25, 5:43am
Did you ask dealer to fix faults, especially central locking? Disappointing it's given to you like that, but a good dealer would do best to fix things surely.
Snow tyres. This should be stopped. Young chap at work few years back now bought dealer car with them on, he had no spare cash, all financed, and was shocked to learn they were snow tyres.
Maybe the info card should have a tick box for it just like it does for nz radio? Actually that's a good idea.

franc123, Mar 25, 6:09am
It isn't illegal to sell vehicles with snow tyres on, as long as they meet the requirements that are specific to them. Most dealers wouldn't have a clue what the overall condition of the non cosmetic aspects of what they are selling is in, they get sold to you as is and then they only fix the bits that you moan about. You'd be lucky if its ever been on an extended test drive.

tgray, Mar 25, 6:16am
WRONG!
$120 X 200 = $24,000

a.woodrow, Mar 25, 6:33am
I think he was suggesting that 24k is not much to pay for 2.4 mill of turnover

kazbanz, Mar 25, 10:33pm
Ok well 1) I don't understand,SOMEONE had to know what oil was put in the car.Unless you specified a brand /type of oil you can assume the cheapest option that would do the job was used.Does it not say on the service sticker?
2) BLACK cars are a nightmare to get right. they show every mark etc.
3) not operating central locking.-change the batteries in the keys and separate the keys. -I had a similar issue with another Subaru. -If that doesn't work then contact the dealer.
4) out of fuel-sorry but YOU should have insisted that at the least theres enough fuel to turn the fuel light off.
5)Worn out stuff--I'd be having wiords with the AA guy.
I must though ask --where in the price pile of cars did this one sit?
So was it about the middle or right down the bottom

woodypc, Mar 26, 8:05am
I (male) asked for a full tank of gas when I brought one of may cars.

kazbanz, Mar 26, 8:34am
and that was factored into the deal.

jason_247, Mar 26, 9:07am
1) service sticker says valvoline and milage, nothing else. heard back today that its a 10w30 semi synthetic. not quite the ideal grade for the ez30.
2) a friend is a car groomer so will give her a proper wax etc, had a light polish but the excess polish left around trim ruins it. for the record i told the mrs not to get a black car as ive already sworn off them.
3) yea new battery sorted it, only has one key which i knew about in advance but isnt the greatest considering their cost if lost or damaged but she hasnt lost her keys yet so hopefully wont start now
4) Im sure i could have specified but as i say theres a difference between a little fuel and no fuel, especially seeing as the pumps dont like running dry, whats the cost of a fuel pump under warranty vs $10 of fuel.
5) had a chat to the guy who looked at it and he just said that those items arent on their list of things to check. which i thought was abit odd.

overall very happy with the car and service. 2006 outback 3.0r black leather, safety and luxury packages ticked, 105kms $10500. plus another $1K for ORC and two years mechanical warranty.

My to do list includes, installing a towbar, trans service, external trans cooler in parallel. and if theres a way cheaper than the dealer track down a second key. plus sort out some of the japanese voices in the car and look into both a external ipod adapter and reversing camera if it can be integrated

sw20, Mar 26, 9:12am
Only if you are a shit negotiator. Got a full tank with my RX-8. I had to ask though.

woodypc, Mar 26, 11:12am
Well that was part of my offer, as I wanted everything I could get with the car. My last two cars I got for such good prices that I did not worry.

jason_247, Mar 27, 1:34am
It seems the only voice that is speaking is the toll card reader saying no card inserted, i can disconnect that easy enough which will shut it up.

Mine has the 7 inch navigation screen with japanese writing on it. not much to be done with that from what i can see online.
Can work out the main guages and consumption that are shown. ony thing that i cant use is the nav which we dont care about and subaru set the time via gps so im stuck with the clock running 3.5 hours slow.

kazbanz, Mar 27, 7:49am
is there anything of any importance going through the head unit?
If not _id toss it and fit a kiw I one

_peas, Mar 28, 11:29pm
I just got a 3.0R Legacy 4 weeks back. One of my check list was for it not to have the Jap GPS option. I would have thought that $12k was about mid range for prices assuming car has 80-100km on it. Mine had a flat battery 2 weeks in, they asked me to get the car back to them for them to replace it. Not so easy. In the end they came out with a replacement battery, I would not use the word NEW to describe it, I can see through a fresh silicon spray. The WOF that it came with missed the tall light out as well. Issued by the attached workshop to the yard. I took it to VTNZ to get an impartial one after totally losing trust in the yard after that. I have to say out of 14 cars I have owned only 2 have been from dealers and I won't be going back to one if I can avoid it. It just so happened in this case that private sales were asking as much as one covered by the CGA!

kazbanz, Mar 29, 3:15am
peas-Doesn't sound like good customer service from that one yard.
For me alarm bells would be ringing when they do their own WOF's

toysky, Mar 29, 3:16am
Dealers are there too get rich - for little work and effort. full stop.

321mat, Mar 29, 10:20am
I'd be on the AA for them to fix these problems.
It is their J.O.B. to spot this stuff - that's what you pay them for when doing a pre-purchase check, and they're always bleating on in that waste of paper they call their Directions magazine that they're the best.

Make them honour their commitment to you, and if they don't, get Fair Go involved.

It's about time they realised they are here as servants to us, the motorist.

curlcrown, Mar 29, 6:55pm
If only it worked like that. Then every Tom, Dick, and Harry would be doing it. Maybe they do but few make it through the first decade.

tgray, Mar 29, 7:15pm
I believe that to be successful is this business, it's more important to like people than it is to like cars. If you like both, then you know your in the right profession.

curlcrown, Mar 30, 5:06am
That's true tgray, I've been known to take lower than what I wanted because I liked the buyer. On occasion I've refused to sell a car at full price because I didn't like the person.

kazbanz, Mar 30, 7:19am
I tell you what-YOU come here and work the hours I do and see if you are still spouting that rubbish. check the time-on a sunday and YES Im at work working.