Which Toyota Surfs / Nissan Terranos are best?

Page 2 / 2
cattleshed, Feb 14, 8:48am
I see. So when (year) did the problem get sorted out and was it completely sorted out?

cattleshed, Feb 14, 8:53am
Nissan 3.2 and 2.7 yes that keeps coming through. But if it's true about the manual and auto being weak that's a shame. Hard to win! By later do you mean the Neo DI?

cattleshed, Feb 14, 8:55am
Is it mainly the syncos in the Nissans and Toyotas or bearings and gears too?

Maybe Isuzu is better?

What other options are there?

shakespeare6, Feb 14, 8:56am
Went from a td27 Nissan to a 1kzte powered surf couple years back. In 9 years I did a water pump, glow plugs, alternator on the Nissan.In 2 years on the surf did a head, starter,alternator and a turbo rebuild and a pile of other stuff on the wagon it self. Shocking ride the surf sipped diesel like crazy I do a heap of km yearly so maybe that was the issue- got rid of that thing. My Nissan had done 330k km and the surf 260k km.
I would buy a td27 powered Nissan again any day. Think I spent more on the surf than what I payed for it

bigmacca, Feb 14, 6:45pm
on the nissans its a bearing issue. same with the surfs/hiluxs ive seen broken but honestly most of them have done lots of kms and rarely serviced. I try to treat my terranos gbox nice as its done just under 400000kms but its like any car if you abuse it then generally they crap out faster.however the Nissan gbox can be rebuilt with heavyduty bearings and they seem to last well.

a.woodrow, Feb 14, 8:10pm
They didn't sort it out by any year, any of the 3L V6 petrols are a potential problem. if you go petrol go for the later 3.4 (don't bother with the 2.7 they are pretty gutless)

mugenb20b, Feb 14, 8:45pm
I think some Surfs or should I say 4 Runners had 3L and 22R motors as well, but that damn V6 is just a piece of junk alright, didn't even go any better than the 3Y-E powered Surf.

skully13, Jun 17, 1:51pm
Just sold 92 v6 surf, after 8 years of ownership it never let me down. Sure it was a bit gutless and a pain to work on the motor. Cam cover gaskets were an arse to replace, cam belt though wasn't much of a drama. Sold it before rust starting to become a problem. Never once over heated or blew a head gasket. Was pretty shit on petrol and pretty boring to drive. It did the job and I never expected much from it. I wouldn't buy another one though, too old, too many little things like back window failing, oil leaks, rust, air con not working, too noisy at 100km/h, used a lot of petrol around town, but mainly don't have a need for one anymore.