Which Toyota Surfs / Nissan Terranos are best?

Page 1 / 2
cattleshed, Feb 14, 3:20am
I have read horror stories about 1990's Surfs with a 3L engine corroding the inside of the engine and destroying themselves. Surely this is due only to a lack of maintenance or is there actually something wrong with them? What 90's models are best? Manual / auto? Petrol / Diesel? Thanks in anticipation.

grangies, Feb 14, 3:28am
Rust is now beginning to rear it's ugly head in a lot of the 90's Surfs and Terrano's.

I'd be having any 90's 4x4 thoroughly inspected for body and chassis corrosion.

Remember. An engine can always be replaced. But severe rust will cost mega bucks to fix.

tamarillo, Feb 14, 3:39am
Comes down to use. Petrol is better for short trips, where gas isn't such as issue. Diesels are best for longer trips and don't like short stop start trips. Diesel cost more to maintain but for distance save money in gas.
Got to ask, Do you need one? These are heavy crude off roaders not family city cars.

cattleshed, Feb 14, 4:08am
Sorry, it wasn't so much understanding petrol v diesel but more to do with what surfs year and model, engine and trans and what terranos year, model, engine and trans are the pick of the bunch, petrol and or diesel. Thanks.

cattleshed, Feb 14, 4:12am
Is the 5LE 3L Diesel fitted to any of the Surfs or only Prados and are these engines any good design-wise and longevity?

tamarillo, Feb 14, 4:29am
Google is your friend. Quickly gave a wiki page within all your answers
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux_Surf

monaro17, Feb 14, 4:32am
I wasn't aware there was another 3.0L diesel Toyota engine of the day.
All I have ever seen in NZ (to my knowledge) is the 1KZ 3.0L diesel

andy61, Feb 14, 4:54am
The surf engine with corrosion issues was the 3 litre V6 petrol, early Surfs with the Turbo diesel 2.4 are bad for cracking heads, as are the 1 KZ 3 litre diesel.

tsjcf, Feb 14, 4:56am
Rubbish none of the petrol 4wds of that era were good on short trips for fuel.
stuff all difference in maintenance costs until your petrol 4wd needs plugs and leads. Not exactly heavy or crude to drive ether.
We have had a good run out of the Nissan 2.7td motor both manual and auto. The last of the Isuzu 3.1 bighorns(up to 97) could be another option normally cheaper then the Toyota but not as good offroad.

mugenb20b, Feb 14, 5:21am
I've never seen a Surf or Prado with a 5L motor but I have seen them with 3L's.

mugenb20b, Feb 14, 5:24am
In a nutshell, avoid all petrol ones, Toyotas have better gearboxes / transmissions, ground clearance and off road ability. Nissans have far superior diesel engines (just avoid the later ZD30) but both models are getting old and will likely give you ongoing problems.

cattleshed, Feb 14, 6:28am
Apparently the 3.2 Terrano is a good one as a long lasting engine is that true for the manuals and autos that they hook up behind them?

cattleshed, Feb 14, 6:31am
According to wiki they are fitted to some of them. just wondering what they are like?

The 5L-E is a 3.0 L (2986 cc) EFI version of the 5L engine. It is the latest member of the L family. It has a bore of 99.5 mm and stroke of 96.0 mm, with a compression ratio of 22.2:1. Output (as fitted to the Hilux) is 78 kW (106 PS; 105 hp) gross at 4200 rpm with 197 N·m (145 ft·lb) gross of torque at 2200 rpm.[7] Power output varies according to fitment. The engine number is found on the top face of the block at the front of the engine.

Applications: Toyota Hilux, Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (J90-series)
Toyota Hiace (fifth generation, H200-series)

cattleshed, Feb 14, 6:33am
Might look into the 2.7TD. What happened after 97 for the Bighorns?

cattleshed, Feb 14, 6:35am
But with the 3L V6 petrol engine, was that due to poor maintenance? How could they corrode otherwise?

cattleshed, Feb 14, 6:41am
Interesting thanks. some useful info but not really pointing out essential problems to watch for. Thanks though.

cattleshed, Feb 14, 6:44am
I know in Australia the dual cab Hilux of around 2002 uses the 5LE so wondered if it is in use here in other applications.

tsjcf, Feb 14, 6:54am
TD27 probably the pick of the older motors. After 97 Isuzu dropped the 3.1(4jg2) for the 3.0(4jx1) a high tech motor they developed with Cat Turned out to be very unreliable.Guy at work still has one spent a fortune to keep it going. Marks adapters in OZ do a kit to throw a commodore V6 in them best way to keep them going.

a.woodrow, Feb 14, 8:15am
Not poor maintenance, just a flaw in the design allowing headgaskets to fail prematurely. Combustion gasses then caused erosion of the blocks. Back in the day toyota recalled them, many trucks got new blocks. Early v6 camry/windoms with the same engine suffer headgasket issues also

mugenb20b, Feb 14, 8:27am
I've seen 5L motors in Hiluxes and Hiaces but never Surfs and Prados so must be quite rare.

franc123, Feb 14, 8:35am
Yes, I don't think they were ever fitted to Surfs, they were as you no doubt know already were mainly 2L-T and 1KZ-TE, 3VZ petrol and early 90's ones also had a rare 3Y-E option too which was of course the ancient pushrod 2 litre motor. That 3VZ V6 is an awful thing, it was detuned for fitment into the Surf and not the nicest thing to work on either.

mrfxit, Feb 14, 8:42am
Yep 90's Nissan TD27 great engines but the manual & auto gearbox's are rubbish

Toyota 2.4T /2.8T great engines but prone to crack heads when abused or neglected cooling systems.
Manual gearbox's are generally good (not sure about the auto's)

Not as gutless as a lot of ppl think they are, you just need to know HOW to apply the right rev's & gear for the job/hill etc.
But thats normal for most older diesels of any brand

bigmacca, Feb 14, 8:43am
I run a 1990 2.7td terrano, manual box. its had some suspension work done and runs some 90% worn muds. its my back up fencing 4x4 but it still manages to go some nasty places and back out. gboxs are a bit weak but the Toyota gbox aint a lot better. the rust tho is becoming a issue in a lot of them as they are a bloody old vehicle now. the engines if serviced and cooling system looked after will do 400000km plus .

horses7, Feb 14, 8:46am
Nissan 3.2 & 2.7 both great engines,avoid later 3.0 as they were a grenade,my son worked for an engine reconditioner that made a living out of Toyota diesels,i wouldn't touch one

xs1100, Feb 14, 8:48am
was gunna say nothing wrong with my old z24 manual pathfinder done a few ks but still goes mint