Air conditioning repair - compressor broken

rats123, Jan 19, 6:26am
The air conditioning in my 2001 opel astra is not working. I took it in for servicing and the mechanic said the air con compressor was broken and needed replacing. Quoted me around $400 for the job.

Is this a fair price or can I get it done cheaper? Thanks

tony9, Jan 19, 6:33am
If that is the full price, including cleaning system out, evacuation and regassing for a genuine new or rebuilt unit then it is a good price, maybe even too cheap.

Do you trust the service organization?

Is the quote in writing?

rats123, Jan 19, 6:37am
Wow, hadn't realised. :-( The car only cost me $1700 so I'm not sure if its worth paying $400.

rovercitroen, Jan 19, 6:41am
Similar job a few years ago with a new compressor cost me over $1500 all up at Coolcar.

mugenb20b, Jan 19, 7:06am
I just bought a new compressor for my Hyundai, $550. I have all the a/c gear so evac and regas didn't cost me anything. Still $400 is a good deal, but find out if that includes a new or used compressor and warranty.

thunderbolt, Jan 19, 8:20am
Cost about $800 to do our 200 Astra about 3 yrs ago, so $400 sounds too cheap. That was Cool car also.
Edit: It was actually the compressor clutch that had died, not the compressor unit itself.

msigg, Jan 19, 9:22am
Forget about it , give it 6 weeks and you won't need air conditioning, wind your windows down, the car is probably worth $1200 buy now so not worth it. Run it into the ground.

pandai, Jan 19, 2:14pm
Similar bill here - rebuilt compressor for the BMW was $700 plus another $700 of fixing hoses and labour etc.

treachug, Jan 19, 6:32pm
Is the clutch not kicking in?
Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALeIoUd3f-Y
Spending $3.00 on a metre of house hold electrical wire at mitre 10 (minimum length sold) may fix it. (plus labour to remove & refit & regas of course)
I have just fixed our one. I googled it & there is a little fuse in the clutch part that blows & clutch stops working. Simply replace with a solid copper wire & the clutch works again. I bench tested an unknown spare Astra compressor I had from years ago & found no clutch so then pulled the clutch off -- removed & disassembled the clutch (easy as, two circlips) & replaced fuse with 0.70mm copper wire. Bench tested & clutch worked. Have now just done the one in the car last weekend.
And spending $3.00 on a metre of house hold electrical wire at mitre 10 would have fixed it. I have just fixed our one. I googled it & there is a little fuse in the clutch part that blows & clutch stops working. Simply replace with a solid copper wire & the clutch works again. I bench tested an unknown spare Astra compressor I had from years ago & found no clutch so then pulled the clutch off -- removed & disassembled the clutch (easy as) & replaced fuse with 0.70mm copper wire. Bench tested & clutch worked.
Have now just done the one in the car last weekend.

mugenb20b, Jan 19, 7:03pm
Depends on how hot you want to be this summer or if you like having fogged up windows other times.

budgel, Jan 19, 8:00pm
Strange stutter you have there treachug!

rats123, Jan 19, 8:46pm
I wish I had your auto smarts mate. Sounds bloody complicated! :-(

treachug, Jan 20, 5:40am
umm yeah. thats what happens when you are rushing to leave for work. lol

treachug, Jan 20, 5:48am
Complicated? Nope was easy as. Removed compressor & on bench used torx bit to undo screw (carefully) in centre & then remove 2 circlips with circlip pliers. No mess.
Trust me I'm no mechanic (I only sell car parts) so if I could do it any mechanic could.
I actually have 2 more clutches I'm going to do. May just be the thing to help fix your car?

tony9, Jan 20, 7:18am
There will be a reason the fuse blew. Replacing it with something of a higher capacity may allow the original problem to escalate and cause a fire. Hope you have adequate public liability cover.

treachug, Jan 20, 7:55am
Fully agree with what you wrote .
As per the video as long as long as all other parts in compressor & system (pressure switch etc) are determined to be ok (mine all were) this is a fix. Delphi compressors fitted to Astras were prone for failure. the thermal fuse used is very light compared to other manufacturers thermal fuses. I pulled a Commodore one apart & it certainly has a heavier thermal fuse. I have only done it to my own car - have not done any more apart from intention to do the spare ones I have as I have family with these cars as well etc so public liability isn't an issue.
Plus would rather try this than getting the regular ear bashing of 'when are you fixing the a/c in my car?' or 'why do you have a/c in your car & I don't?'

steve-007, Jan 20, 9:36am
How did you remove the compressor without degassing the system. ? or did you use the rag technique?

treachug, Jan 20, 6:18pm
Car was finally in getting regassed. Was cheaper for me to take home (gasless & comp unplugged & a/c fuse pulled 'just in case') & fix there. The only gas left was like opening a soft drink bottle.

I guess the rag technique is what I think it is? If so, then ahhh no I didn't