Car dealers

Page 2 / 2
catwoman1974, Sep 14, 7:49am
Been there, done that - car dealers and dodgy warrants

tgray, Sep 14, 8:05am
I have seen car's with new WOF's (AA and VTNZ) and one brake light is out, water swishing around in a headlight, spare tyre not secure, a seat belt missing (yes!), shot wiper blades and near to no front brake pads.
I would never trust a new WOF as a sign of a safe car.

rovercitroen, Sep 14, 9:31am
Is that a black 2006 one in Hamilton?

rpvr, Sep 14, 9:39am
The point is taken that the dealer selling the car must be given the opportunity to fix a fault before the buyer gets work done elsewhere, but to what lengths does the buyer have to go to, before having the right to get it fixed elsewhere and expect the seller to pay? Because often when a buyer goes back to the dealer, some will have a cursory look and say they can't find anything wrong, in an attempt to fob the buyer off. In my view, the buyer has given the dealer the opportunity to fix, especially if they leave the car with the dealer for a period ( a day or more). If the dealer then says there is nothing to fix, then the buyer shouldn't have to return repeatedly to try to get something done, they are then free to get the repairs done elsewhere at the dealer's expense. Am I interpreting the CGA incorrectly?

kazbanz, Sep 14, 11:00pm
Rpvr-short version. It depends.
In THIS specific case the OP has NOT come back to us with a vital piece of information. That being what was on the VOSA regarding the noise.
But allowing nothing on the VOSA then There is no question the OP should have returned the car to the dealer for repair.
Where it gets tricky is if the failure was of a major nature.--THAT is a whole different kettle of fish.
How many times should a car be returned to the dealer?
That comes down to "what is fair and reasonable?"
This case seems to be pretty clear and easy shoulda been fixed by the dealer
But Intermittant faults are the stuff of nightmares for dealers.
The customer that does the "ohh I took it back 3 times with the same noise" for example. They leave out the fact that the noise was gone every time they took the car away and for perhaps weeks afterwards it was fine.
I

rpvr, Sep 15, 12:28am
Agreed it needs to be a two way street. I would be happy to go back several times to a dealer who was obviously trying his best to fix things. But those who say they can't find anything wrong after a very cursory look in my view don't deserve a second go.
Last car I bought several year ago (a Nissan) was fine until one day a couple of months after purchase I tried to open the passenger door with the key and it didn't fit (I was lubricating the locks). Phoned the dealer and he said he knew about it, the car had been broken into and he had put a Toyota barrel into it, thinking nobody would ever use the key as the remote would open all the doors. To his credit he was embarrassed about it and said bring the car back, but it would probably take a couple of days to organise a barrel and re-keying, etc. It was a hassle to get back and get home etc, so I said what if I get a barrel and get it re-keyed and send you the bill for reimbursement, which he agreed to and gave me a figure. Came in a bit cheaper as I put the barrel in myself after the locksmith had done his bit, so we were both happy.

kazbanz, Sep 15, 12:42am
Rpvr- There are though THREE sides to every story. The buyers story. The sellers story and the truth.
Sometimes its one or the other often it lies somewhere in between.
keep in mind too that dealers are reliant on tradies to examine and give honest appraisals.

mainlander05, Sep 16, 12:43am
Mate all this long winded BS.
Simple.go to first garage that issued warrant.show them what happened and if they don't front up that you will go talk to the people who approve them to issue warrents.I'm sure you will get results.
Oh,and always be prepared to back up a threat.ask them if this is the association that you call when showing them the wolf peoples number.
Cheers dennis.
By the way.worked magic for me in the past.

franc123, Sep 16, 12:49am
There needs to be an actual reason to fail a faulty suspension part, noise in itself is NOT a reason for rejection. I'm not going to say it again in this thread.

kazbanz, Sep 16, 4:38am
Simpler-on the basis of the OP's description you would be invited to get involved in sex and travel.
You can't fail a car a wof on the basis of a noise.

tgray, Sep 16, 6:02am
Personally, I like sex and travel.

rpvr, Sep 16, 10:00am
Oh no, one of those kiwis that eats roots and leaves.

jmma, Sep 16, 10:09am
Probably piston broke as well (o:

cheeky52, Sep 19, 8:17pm
thanks for all the info guys and advice but a lesson hard learnt the dealer told me tough luck and have a nice life

kazbanz, Sep 19, 8:47pm
Pretty much what I expected them to say.
So again--what exactly does it say on the VOSA regarding the noise?
WORD FOR WORD please.

kazbanz, Sep 19, 9:08pm
I genuinely do not understand the point you are making there.
The sooner after purchase of a car you advertise it the sooner its out there for people to see it and show interest in it.
That's just plain common sense.
lets say it takes a week to get then grooming,servicing etc required to bring the car up to the standard a pooch buyer expects. That is a whole week then it isn't advertised.
I know a dealer that advertises cars the day he buys them in Japan. Then updates the advert when they arrive in NZ.
They still aren't ready for sale even when they arrive.

rpvr, Jun 1, 11:27am
I have found results are achieved in direct proportion to your assertiveness.