Importing vehicle from Japan

Page 2 / 2
a.woodrow, Sep 15, 5:43am
Oh so THAT'S why all the car dealers I know are so wealthy! If they are making so much money why don't they just retire.

timbo69, Sep 15, 4:58pm
Why? ,when you get the call that they are ready to collect from port/compliance just get them delivered straight to customer.

timbo69, Sep 15, 4:59pm
This is nothing to do with the current business model of selling cars.

curlcrown, Sep 15, 5:21pm
$4000 to $5000 cheaper than normal retail? What sort of car is it?

tgray, Sep 15, 7:45pm
Providing you have a customer who wants to buy it without even seeing it.

kazbanz, Sep 15, 8:53pm
Timbo--theres a fair few guys have tried and failed doing just that.
Feel free to give it a go though.
Just one logistical hurdle for you. Ships don't roll in one every day. You could go two weeks with no ships then have 3 arrive in 2 days.
So working with your model you have 21 cars you have to get complied and road ready for the by then 3 weeks worth of customer orders.
21 cars need to go somewhere.

tamarillo, Sep 15, 9:44pm
Obviously it is possible to save going direct. But at your risk.
Same arguement as buying privately. You CAN save money (but don't always) but you take risk of not having cga and dealers reputation to back the car up.
With import you have those same risks AND total risk as to car. You don't even know it can be complied and get warrant.
Then, as others say, you don't save a huge amount as you'll pay more for shipping etc. though using google a broker dealer helps with that.
It's a gamble. If you win you save, if you don't you lose.
So maybe like high risk investments you need to be able to lose the money. If you can easily afford the money and can replace it, might be worth it. But if it's all you've got to get you a car, and you'll be stuffed if it goes bad. Don't.

tamarillo, Sep 15, 9:46pm
Great business plan. 4/10.

timbo69, Sep 16, 7:57am
Exactly.

tgray, Sep 16, 8:11am
I have a business model of $500 margins (gross) and manage to sell approx 200 p/year from non commercial premises with limited overheads and very limited space.
Let me tell you, it is a lot of work!
For me it is a lifestyle choice but to do this and make it work, you have to price your stock at below private retail prices and try to sell within a week of listing. That's hard to do unless you have the right contacts and I feel fortunate to have made it work for the last 11 years.

kazbanz, Sep 16, 8:45pm
Why not pay the rent on a small yard then you could be selling closer to 300 a year ?

tgray, Sep 16, 9:15pm
Because another 100 cars sold at $500 gross margins ($300 nett) wouldn't cover the costs of a small yard. My only costs right now are dealer annual fees and I get to claim storage costs from my home against my taxes. I think the deregulated industry with no requirement for commercial premises is just great for me.
Also, I would be tied down to being there throughout standard working hours, rather than at home (or having to pay someone else to be there).
No, this suits me just fine, cheers.

kazbanz, Jun 20, 11:38am
LOL--onya mate. I was thinking of that devcars yard up the road from ya.
Only holds 20 cars at most. But yea needs to be open at least 6 days a week to work