Hiace radio removal

toyboy3, Apr 20, 3:23am
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/377311848.jpg
How to remove without butchering thanks

morrisjvan, Apr 20, 3:58am
unclip end caps on dash fascia, then unclip the fascia itself. (no tools needed from memory) and then unscrew the radio brackets.

johotech, Apr 20, 3:59am

kazbanz, Apr 20, 4:07am
Toyboy--You have bigger problems than just the radio Im sorry.
If that's whats in the hole I doubt you have any speakers and may not have speaker wires.
To do the job you asked about you need to remove that whole front section of the dashboard. That's a pretty easy job.
Open BOTH gloveboxes.
Reach inside the top of the bottom glovebox and you'll feel a fairly solid feeling lip. Use controlled force and pull outwards.
The whole front face will pop off of the dash from doorhole across to a lip on the drivers side-Youll see its held by a few clips.
That will show you the radio and filler panel revealed.
Youll see for screws or bolts holding the radio into the dash.
Undoo those and bingo the radio just needs unplugging at the back
but as I said I'd be surprised if you don't need to fit speakers in the doors

kazbanz, Apr 20, 4:44am
Sorry --start removal by popping the left hand end cap off the dash it pops out sideways on clips clips at the left side of the dash--you'll see a join about 25mm from the side of the dash.Then the front trim pops off

stevo2, Apr 20, 5:02am
What Kaz says is correct (again). My Hiace had the same radio and it only had one speaker. It was attached to the radio and the noise went through perforations in the dash.
I replaced it with a good headunit and ran new wires, 4" in the dash (or doors, cant remember) and a pair of 6x9's in the back.
It was a good system and installation was quite easy.

toyboy3, Apr 20, 5:10am
The owner only wants a band expander fitted . I know it's only the poverty pack version with speaker in the radio itself

johotech, Apr 20, 5:43am
Lucky you. Charge double!

kazbanz, Apr 20, 6:04am
does the owner know theres no speakers in the doors and the reception with be c#%$#$

poppajn, Apr 20, 6:19am
Yep, the pick up band's in the radio aren't strong and a band expander will make little difference. I found this out the expensive way, $90 and little difference. $130 later and a decent radio made all the difference

azenith, Apr 21, 1:26am
No wonder replacement radio didn't seem to work when using plug conversions if no speakers in doors ,
( original radio only having its own little sqeaky speaker ! )
thansk for advising ,
Azenith

richardmayes, Apr 21, 2:00am
I can't believe Toyota didn't do more market research before deciding on this factory radio set-up!

Most Hiace courier vans around Wellington have two MASSIVE speaker units mounted on the safety frame behind the front seats, bigger than what many people have in their living room, and you can hear them coming when they are still a block away.

kazbanz, Apr 21, 3:18am
Richard--Wellington is a pimple on the backside of a country that's a pimple of the backside of the world.

stevo2, Mar 2, 11:03pm
NZ new models have a proper stereo.