Alternator question

red97, Feb 9, 5:43am
Hi guru's
Ive got a diesel engine with an alternator on it but its not hooked up to the battery. There are five terminals on the back of the alternator, two of them are pole type and marked E and B and the other three are obviously designed to except a plug they are marked F, N and E. My question is what is the simplest way to connect the alternator to my battery in such a way that it charges my battery bearing in mind that I am semi to three quarters retarded and require really simple instructions.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated

intrade, Feb 9, 6:17am
how about you take some pictures and upload them to iforce.co.nz so we dont have to guess things i know the B will be likely battery + positive but i dont like guessing things .
http://www.iforce.co.nz/

snoopy221, Feb 9, 6:24am
on it but its not hooked up

Jaaa voo even moi underbestumble dat-lol

snoopy221, Feb 9, 6:29am
My question is what is the simplest way to connect the alternator to my battery in such a way that it charges my battery bearing in mind that I am semi to three quarters retarded and require really simple instructions.

Pictures. lol. as intrade suggests-also reading between the lines suggests the diesel engine is in an application like a wood splitter or something so what is the application and the engine and how much wiring is there?

fast4motion, Feb 9, 6:32am
B goes to battery positive, E to earth (often not required), and the other 3 go to an external voltage regulator.

mechnificent, Feb 9, 6:46am
Yup. and the F terminal is the one the regulator needs to feed power into to make it charge. the small E will be an earth, either to the regulators earth or to any earth. The N will either feed the tacho, or go to the regulator depending on the regulator.

mack77, Feb 9, 6:50am
Just to make it really clear for the OP; 'F' stands for "fields" i.e. the alternator fields.

bigfatmat1, Feb 9, 8:15am
battery and earth. The others got to a regulator earth, field and neutral.

differentthings, Feb 9, 8:01pm

red97, Jun 26, 2:09am
thank you all for that.
very helpful