Hiace sliding door

holdensorfords, Jul 31, 3:52am
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows who I would see in regards to making my sliding door open outwards more. I think the top & bottom sliders stay the same but the middle one would need to be made longer, if you understand my meaning. I want to flare the wheel arch. any ideas?

skull, Jul 31, 4:40am
I don't see how you can make the door go out in the middle more than at the top or bottom. If you make any of the guides longer where does that extra length go when you shut the door?

grangies, Jul 31, 5:59am
As skull said. If you simply put longer sliding hinges on the door it will not be able to close.

It would need folding hinges made up, and would not be cheap.

An engineering company that does things like custom fit outs on super yachts and high end custom built motorhomes etc, would be able to build you something. But I reckon the bill could be in the thousands LOL.

kazbanz, Jul 31, 6:35am
everything would have to be reengineered to suit> it would honestly be a nightmare.
Before going down that track I'd suggest first of all measuring the existing clearance between door and arch. You may find its plenty.
If its a close call Id be tempted to thin the inner panel of the door down so it clears. --it looks like theres an easy 25 mm to be gained there.

snoopy221, Jul 31, 7:14am
Yip limit the opening on the sucker and every time ya want it to open more remember ya flared the wheel arch-lol

grangies, Jul 31, 7:21am
Give it to these guys as a learning project.

http://mechatronics.massey.ac.nz

lookoutas, Jul 31, 7:29am
If you can't do it yourself, it's gunna cost heaps.

What Kaz sez is a good idea. Would have to skim down bloody near the whole bottom of the door. Could make it say 15mm thick, and don't tell anyone!
I'm guessing those doors would be around 100mm thick - so if ya cut it down to even 20, that would gain 80mm.
Would cut down the crash resistance, but could also build in an extra intrusion bar too.

Lengthening the rear slider would necessitate having to lengthen the channel inwards at the rear pillar.

The piece of sting doesn't mention how much of a flare is intended.

grangies, Jul 31, 7:35am
If you skim the door interior down. Where is the door lock supposed to go? LOL

snoopy221, Jul 31, 7:41am
Yeah- Nah- L O L
Juss fang a bolt in dere and limit it and put zee sign on=
No Fat Chicks- L O L
nEK mINUT.
L M A O.

snoopy221, Jul 31, 7:42am
nEK mINUT.

Arrrong cums A C D C-
bACK dOOR.

l o l

lookoutas, Jul 31, 8:29am
That is the limitation grang'e. Can only go as high as the lock.

Worked on so many I should know, but the lock is just below or above the runner.
It could be done, but would be at least 3 days work.

kazbanz, Jul 31, 11:22pm
I wuz gonna diss you bigtime fer a bitta fun.
Then I had another look and see your point.
I wasn't thinking the whole door I was thinking the bit that would touch the wheel arch.
Trouble is that none of us know how big the OP wants the flares to be
I can see an easy 25mm clearance doing nothing. Then if it JUST touches on the lower bit of flare then thinning the door edge about 20mm for the bottom 300mm might create enough clearance.
Going back to the original idea. The issue is that everything is set up angled etc to work as it is. But I wonder if the back slider.--The one in the groove in the body could have some sort of slide built in that would open up as the door opens. the door would sit at an angle but would just pivot around the two front sliders.

holdensorfords, Dec 3, 5:09pm
Yea, I think the middle slider will need adjusting. Maybe using a gas strut (smallest possible) & when it closes will fold into the door, covered with a rubber boot so as to not look too hori. Rear end is modified & rather than shorten the diff, I'd rather try this option. There is 18mm between tyre & door. Tyre is a 205/60r16. I want to go 235/45/17.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/400970315.jpg