Police car colours.

Page 2 / 2
richardmayes, Nov 26, 5:33am
It's the ones that flick on their disco lights for just long enough to run an orange/red light that get to me.

(That and the unmarked ones that drive at 115 on the motorway, weaving in and out of the lanes without indicating, thinking nobody will notice them and/or report them.)

I am very pro-police in general, but here in Wellington the behaviour of some of the cop car drivers is testing my resolve, big time.

dr.doolittle, Nov 26, 5:44am
Couldnt agree more.
I'd also like to see them lock people up for spitting & swearing at them.

3tomany, Nov 26, 6:36am
That is the real reason i saw the commisioner comment on the news about a year ago saying just this. Old commies in white just look like x police cars so worthless, might backfire when every colour commodore looks like an x cop car they will all simply become worthless.

sr2, Nov 26, 7:25am
No, surely you jest!

saxman99, Nov 26, 9:52am
The problem with the visibility claim is not that they aren't visible, the problem is that they are now the same colour as every other commodore. In a line of traffic coming towards you they are impossible to distinguish. The white ones are dead easy to see from miles out. I played a spot the commodore driving game with my 9 year old nephew where the object was to spot a white commodore that wasn't a police car. After about 30 minutes on highway 2 we had spotted about 60 civilian Commodores, 3 of them were white. All the rest were red, orange or black. The cop cars blended right in.

elect70, Nov 27, 1:01am
They are all now leased from a private company AFAIK

richardmayes, Nov 27, 1:08am
I once drove a rental olive green VZ Acclaim wagon for a weekend.

On the second day I wore a blue shirt, and it was ASTONISHING how much room people gave me on the motorway!

socram, Nov 27, 1:22am
Which reminds me of the lady cop we met at a party some years who openly bragged about wearing a bright pink jacket whilst driving an undercover car, trying to egg guys along to 'race', then pulling them over and quickly discarding the pink jacket.

skiff1, Nov 27, 2:14am
they are not. No reason except the cops on the ground resisted. probably because the damage they do would be accounted fro more carefully

topzone, Nov 27, 3:51am
And then there's this oxymoron from a recent police strategy bulletin.

"And part of that strategy is ensuring we maintain a highly visible presence on Waikato roads using both marked, unmarked patrol cars and speed camera vans as we work to prevent road trauma.
What, with the new harder to distinguish colours, unmarked cars, and plain vans by the road side ?

gunhand, Nov 27, 3:56am
Yes, funny how everyone suddenly knows all the rules and can keep to the speed limits when they identify a cop on the road.

ema1, Nov 27, 5:24am
That's what I reckon too gun, those that do get caught by Police in different coloured cars just squeal "It's unfair." when in actual fact they were caught fair and square and serves them right.
They shouldn't have been transgressing in the first place whatever it was they were pulled for.
It is NOT OK to think folks have "Carte Blanche" on our roads when there is a low to no likelihood of Police being in a certain area at any given time. period.
I get the distinct impression from some on here that road laws are there to be broken and persist in doing so rather than being there to be OBEYED !
It's a sad indictment on some folks that squeal about different colours of police cars etc and not being able to recognize them, I say if they weren't so hell bent on bending/breaking laws them it won't be an issue.
But. then to some folks anything out of the norm with policing or anything else for that matter they'll squeal & complain because they think their rights have been offended, those folks IMO need some form of re education, but there again some are beyond that. pity!
AIR HEADS are what they are and all to common at that.

ema1, Nov 27, 5:37am
If the police pull you over . there is in a big % of cases a legitimate reason as to why, pity some folks can't get their heads around that, some never will unfortunately?
They are the ones that think laws etc don't apply to them. deluded fools ?
Some of the lame excuses and B.S. certainly proves that, own the transgression and get on with life in a more lawful way is prudent IMO.

gunhand, Nov 27, 5:53am
Ive had my fair share of pulling overs in the past and every one was deserved and I knew why I was pulled over. One should have seen me jailed but I'm sure attitude saved me on that one.
Seems it's always someone else is at fault and not the driver in NZ.
Ya lucky you have any bloody tolerance at all really. And the cops don't have quota's, they can pull over as many people breaking the rules as they like.
And if you want to drive at 200kph piss off to the much pointed out autobahns.
Could you imagine the bloody chaos if NZders were allowed to drive that fast. Most can't handle stopping at bloody stop sign.

ema1, Nov 27, 6:06am
Too true gun and if I wanted to always drive at break neck speed, which I don't, I prefer to fly in an aircraft that is capable of such speeds over long distances and their pilots are generally more composed and more highly trained/clued up than your run of the mill everyday drivers.
Driving to the conditions that present themselves at any given time is paramount when driving any potentially "lethal weapon."
When you are in charge of any vehicle you MUST OWN any transgressions you wittingly or not that you may commit, simple as that, pity is that there are far to many "buck passers" in this country.
Acceptance of blame seems to be all very lacking and too common place.

clatty, Sep 4, 1:11am
Sense at last, ema1 and gunhand