Stop - Oil Pressure light

tc47, Jun 9, 7:44pm
This light and buzzer came on briefly last night while driving home. It stopped after 10 seconds, and I continued to drive home. (it as dark, cold and I was on the express way, probably drove about 4kms to home).

The fuel consumption numbers were all over the place too!

It's a 99 vw golf.

Anyway, what's my best plan of attack this morning? Drive to mechanics? Drive to work and hope for the best? Call a tow truck?

intrade, Jun 9, 8:23pm
well pull the oil dipstick what is it look like and what is the rreading.
Also oil does not have a buzzer but i am not 100% sure about it i would need to know your engine vw usually have a buzzer for overheating since the mark2 , so dont know if that was linked to the oil also.
Reasons for no oil pressure light comes on when the sensor reads not enough pressure , depending on how it reads the sensor like unplugged on older cars would read no pressure . other reason could be dirty blocked pickup in oil sump or sevearly blocked oil filter.
but could be just corrosion on sensor or even electrics from a leaking windscreen install . as one more reason

intrade, Jun 9, 8:26pm
now if you dont have oil pressure you would hear the valvtrain hydrolifter clackering as they need oil to dampen and adjust ,its why i wanted to know the engine number and discription like diesel normal 1,6 usually found in 99 golfs. etc

kazbanz, Jun 9, 8:33pm
call towtruck-cost to you $100 ish
Drive to mechanic -potential cost to you $6000
Drive to work -potential cost to you $6000
The tone of your enquiry suggests you are unlikely to be able to self diagnose an issue so safest option is not to drive the car,
if the mechanic says-Ohh look your battery is dudd you might feel silly
If he says -woow that oil feed is busted you'll feel pretty clever.
To me its a no brainer.

tc47, Jun 9, 9:03pm
I called the local vw service centre, described the problem and he said I could drive it in, providing light remains off and I don't thrash it. Is booked in tomorrow morning. It's a 2 litre petrol. Am at work now so can't check anything else. Nothing else sound weird, but I'm a shocker at remembering to top up the oil, and I imagine it's due for a service!

intrade, Jun 9, 9:09pm
here is what my cristal ball tells me from your discription.
its probably corrosion on a ground wire somewhere or corrosion in a circuit for your dash.

henderson_guy, Jun 9, 9:13pm
Electrical gremlins have finally nested, only a matter of time before they infest most European vehicles. The only guaranteed solution is to kill them with fire. Lots and lots of fire!

tc47, Jul 8, 10:04am
oh that sounds fun. Car is infested with a foul and mysterious odour too, maybe that's a sign.