N15 pulsar loosing idle.

Page 1 / 2
kazbanz, Sep 21, 3:55am
Hey guys A quickfire question for you.
PLEASE don't read previous replies just post your opinion.
Customer walks in and tells you My 1994-1997 Nissan sunny,pulsar.lucino doesn't want to idle.Its established that it is fitted with an N15 fuel injected motor.
What is the very first cause of this issue that would jump into your mind?

seadubya, Sep 21, 4:03am
Idle control valve or air flow meter?

frank1, Sep 21, 4:26am
AFM,my daughters Pulsar had the same prob,took car to my auto electrician and he repaired it,cost about $130 from memory

llortmt, Sep 21, 7:40am
First thing to jump in my mind with one of those would be air flow meter/throttle body and three connections behind that aluminum plate that need re-soldering.

budgel, Sep 21, 8:19am
We had a stepper motor issue with ours.

franc123, Sep 21, 8:40am
This, its the GA15DE's signature problem.

v8_mopar, Sep 21, 8:59am
Outside the square. The E's would do that when they blew head gaskets

dasfi, Sep 21, 9:03am
I have a ga 15 that looses idle occasionally which is annoying,
May have to look into that

a.woodrow, Sep 21, 10:02am
Air flow meter

kazbanz, Sep 21, 7:46pm
Sorry to seem pedantic--could you please state what you think is wrong.
As in actually say it?

mm12345, Sep 21, 9:30pm
Yes. Broken/dry solder joints can cause it to be intermittent and hard to diagnose. My FIL has one with this fault just starting - once every few months. On my to-do list to fix it for him.
If you're flexible - you can do the job in-situ - without removing the throttle-body - it's a bit tight, but I've done it. Cutting the alu plate out is the hardest part.,

franc123, Sep 21, 10:21pm
Dodgy AFM as has been said over and over. Needs to be fixed or exchanged.

kazbanz, Sep 21, 11:34pm
Sorry franc there is a reason Ive asked the question as I have

bjmh, Sep 21, 11:37pm
I had one that was scanned and idle stepper was replaced ,still did fault . got Nissan to scan and computer was stuffed. Nissan reckoned it was common for the computer to go ,with the step motor.

skin1235, Sep 22, 12:16am
couldn't be an old fashioned common as muck air leak could it, say somewhere between the AFM and the head/manifold gaskets

skin1235, Sep 22, 12:19am
that would be my first assumption, simply cos air leaks have been a bane in my life from way back in apprenticeship days - since then I've devised means of locating them but they still give me the shits, some guys can stand there and then point to the exact spot, me I can spend hours looking for them and still miss them, so much so that if I suspect an air leak I usually get one of the others to have a wee stand and point moment first

mm12345, Sep 22, 12:27am
Well of course it could be - or loose hose etc, but the AFM on these is directly attached to the throttle body bolted to the inlet manifold - probably one of the main reasons the AFM solder joints fail (heat/vibration) rather than the AFM being mounted off the engine and connected to the throttle body via the usual and sometimes problematical plastic pipework.

skin1235, Sep 22, 12:40am
loose hoses?, crack in vac line to brake booster?, I hate air leaks lol

gmphil, Sep 22, 12:57am
plugs !

intrade, Sep 22, 5:32am
its something to do with idle air.
a vaccume leek will cause high idle not a stall.

intrade, Sep 22, 5:46am
A vehicle with multi-port fuel injection only starts with the throttle held open. A review of the vehicle history indicates that all though the vehicle has 75,000 miles, on it, the engine has never been serviced except for an occasional oil change. The MFI system uses an idle Air Control Valve to regulate closed throttle rpm. Technician A says that IAC valve may be stuck in the fully extended position. Technician B says that the problem may be the result of a clogged fuel filter. Who is right?
A.

Technician A only
B.

Technician B only
C.

Both A and B
D.

Neither A or B

kazbanz, Sep 22, 5:52am
But what is the FIRST thing that you think of when those syptoms are described to you?

intrade, Sep 22, 5:58am
that i want to look for condition under the bonnet and inside the oil filler cap to see if the guy ever serviced his car and take digital pictures for my record and if the car is a mess it tell em to take a hike soonest.

v8_mopar, Sep 22, 7:22pm
Why kazbanz. Does my mean yours or his. There must be more to this story?

kazbanz, Nov 28, 8:14am
hey guys I have to tell you the back story to this now its all over.
1995 motor car sold for under $3000
Full PP inspection carried out .No faults found.
A week from purchase engine overheated to the point of melted piping.
Engine replaced by dealer. Cause turned out to be a hole had developed in a heater hose. Car was driven hot long enough for engine to be non recoverable. 20 minutes or more with the needle on the red.
10 months and 11500km later buyer wants money back because car doesn't idle (common issue cheap to repair in that model) and according to their mechanic is a "ticking time bomb"
Dealer offered remedial work to idle issue -buyer refused
Dealer repeatedly requests customer carry out TK,compression test and scan test to establish the fault. Customer refuses. Dealer offers to carry out the tests,Customer refuses. Stating--I want my money back.
My thinking is 10 months 12000km. 20 year old sub 3k car the owner has to accept responsibility for their own car.
The customers mechanic told her the engine was foobarred and she should go get her money back.
Go figure the dealer refused.
Customer decides they have a case for DT
DT orders customer to carry out TK and compression test.
Mechanic either fails to carry out the tests -or does tests and realises they are good so gives customer some weird letter stating they "suspect" head gasket failure and the only way to find out is to strip the engine.
keep in mind this is soposed to be a reputable workshop Yet they can't carry out three simple diagnostic checks.
DT said-9 months 11500km of trouble free driving from a $3000 car--case dismissed.