Vehicle cost

matarautrader, Sep 5, 1:17am
I am starting a new job shortly that will mean travelling approx 100km per day on open road. I could get a fuel efficient car say 1500cc but we need to tow trailers and a 1400kg caravan at regular intervals. We are thinking of getting a BA Falcon which are around $6000 for a 2005 4 speed auto, and have a reasonable tow rating. I like the idea of having a bit more metal around me in case of an accident. The Falcon will probably do about 8.5-9 litres/100km. If I get a later Falcon with the 6 speed auto its about another $2000 to buy and will probably save me about 1 litre/100. So thats about another $10 week. Which way do you learned gentlemen think I should go?. Our current vehicle is a 3.0 petrol Challenger and does about 11 litres/100km. Thanks.

intrade, Sep 5, 1:56am
is that 50km plus in one hit ? if so you could get a diesel like a 1.4 skoda tdi
falcon id be getting a LPG one

tamarillo, Sep 5, 4:54am
I'd driven both 4 and 6 speeder as rentals and the 6 was more than just more economical it was just simply better.
And on open road they used very little more gas than the mondeo and Mazda 6 petrols, so I get your thinking.
So I'd go six every time.

msigg, Jul 29, 5:20pm
Whenever you change vehicles you loose money, you will loose at least a couple of grand either way so the first 2 years will be paying that back. The biggest thing is to keep your foot light on the gas, anything can happen in a few years, any 6 will be good, a comm is also good.