Old plates onto another vehicle

motorboy2011, Dec 28, 1:08am
I have some old bikes that have the newer black font on white plate. I also have some old silver font on black plates. Is there any way to get these plates legal? They were not previously on these bikes, however these bikes would have at one stage all had this style plate. I also have some old bikes that I may re-vin, is it poss to get these plates attached for re-vin? Cheers in. Advance!

kazbanz, Dec 28, 1:11am
You CAN get a rego plate created as a personalised plate.Its a bit of a mish but can be done. Once you do that then you can transfer the number to whatever registered bike you choose to.
That is the only way I know to bring old plates "back to life"

fungles, Dec 28, 1:18am
I have successfuly repainted white/black to black/sliver with no problems after realising after years of scanner listening the police never ask for the colour via their database, when doing a QVR, and it is also possible no colour info is even held there. Obviously the newer three letter/two number combo would probably raise a question and lead to a charge of altered plates. Police by and large have very little knlwedge of bikes, year, model etc, and rely on bike/crash helmet colour to identify an errant rider.

franc123, Dec 28, 1:31am
I'm not sure why you would want to fit a Govt issued Unique Identifier onto a bike that it never belonged to in the first place? Its an expensive exercise going the personalised route, I would do the colour alteration of the plate that is on there, as above. As for the other bikes, you can reuse those plates that were original to those bikes, or were at least the last plates issued to them before deregistration, by simply applying to NZTA, they will grant permission to reuse providing the plate is still in good order and you provide a photo of it to confirm.

fungles, Dec 28, 1:33am
I have just attempted to obtain a personalized plate with the same number as two old Black/silver expired plates on my Austin 10, only to be told this number is unavailable. presumeably because these old plates have never been returned? Unfortunately it seems unlikely this idea of Kazbanz can work.

muzz67, Dec 28, 2:52am
You can liven up old plates that were originally on the car,, but only if it has not had other plates on it in between times.

sw20, Apr 23, 1:10am
We are in the process of getting my late grandfather's '65 Vespa SS180 back on the road. It has the original plates and we have ownership documents from when it stopped being used in the early '80s. From the people in the know who deal with vehicle licencing it is very straight forward if you can show a paper trail.