Problem with motox bike.can any1 help

Page 1 / 2
star29, Feb 19, 8:53am
Hi people.I have a drz125 bike.i have recently purchased to take up motox as a hobby.I have ridden a handful of times. My nephew rode it last when I wasn't around. The next time I went to ride it the oil was bone dry and there is no compression in the kick start almost the same as when bleeding brakes in a car. just no tension there. Can anyone help please see as to any idea what it could be,how much to fix or any help at all would be much appreciated. I'm gutted as cost me $2k and haven't had long.

skin1235, Feb 19, 9:14am
so either the piston has a hole in it or the rings are shot, either way as a motox participant you'll have enough spares to have it fixed already

course it could be as simple as the plug has come loose
or even a snapped cam chain

trying to guess what is wrong, and then trying to put a price on it
wheres the nephew hiding, perhaps he needs a lesson re riding 2 strokes and riding 4 strokes and why you don't over rev the 4

lissa25, Feb 19, 9:20am
Aren't you supposed to warm the old drz's up, switch them off for 3 minutes, then check the oil?

star29, Feb 19, 9:40am
I am a female beginner.wanted to learn as my sons have bikes.skin1235. if its the pistons is that costly?

skin1235, Feb 19, 9:46am
not very, but then any cost is a cost
and thats if its the piston, if it is the cam chain it could be a lot dearer

I guess you'll need to buy or borrow a book of the engine etc, then figure out how to diagnose what the issue actually is

I certainly cannot guess from here
it could be as I said the plug blown out, take about an hour to helicoil another in for about $40
the joys of a beginner, and female, and one with nephews, lol theres a few ticks in the con column already, but you'll get there, don't panic, identify what the problem is and fix it, in afew years you'll think nothing of changing a blown piston between races

star29, Feb 19, 9:54am
I have the manual for it so I'll read through focusing on those points.it sounded like it wanted to go but nothing in the kick to boost it over.

skin1235, Feb 19, 10:01am
and when you get it fixed, ban the nephew, hide the key and lock a chain through the wheel to the shed floor ( get someone to create a lock point in the floor )

first thing to check is compression - cos to do that you need the plug out, if none then check the tappets are working - undo those big round caps on the top of the engine, you should see them moving when you kick it over

the manual will show you where - under adjusting valves or adjusting tappets

skin1235, Feb 19, 10:03am
one good, thing they are 4 stroke - the head can be removed without disturbing the barrel, and you can repair valves etc, the barrel has to come off if the piston needs changing

what do the sons have to say?

skin1235, Feb 19, 10:04am
hitting the sack myself now but will check in the morning

what year is the bike

star29, Feb 19, 10:08am
OK skin. so u sound like u no what ur doing.How's about a couply nice cold beers and a sausage on bread? lol my sons are 14 and 9 so they not to much help unfortunately.

star29, Feb 19, 10:09am
Drz125 2005.thank u so much for your help and advice.goodnight :-)

terry012, Feb 19, 10:33am
Check the auto decompression cable isn't holding a valve open.

star29, Feb 19, 10:37am
Lol terry I have not idea what that is or where to find it.I will consult the manual.Thank u :-)

terry012, Feb 19, 11:05am
Look on right side of head,,little lever with cable going to it. cable works off kick starter housing. kick it over slowly and see if it pulls lever forward. if it doesn't move,,its probably already stuck forward. If it does move then its ok and working correctly. will feel like no compression till it drops back. needs a full kick for it to work,,,fill the oil first and try. hope this helps

sr2, Feb 19, 11:24am
Rubbish, the average 2 stroke can be stripped down and rebuilt in a fraction of the time using far fewer parts than the average 4 stroke.

muzz67, Feb 19, 5:03pm
Have you drained out any remaining oil? How much is in there and what state is it in?
You need to carefully check the old oil and filter for metal flakes/filings/pieces and let us know what you find.

tamarillo, Feb 19, 6:35pm
Some good ideas about why no compression here already. Check compression release isn't stuck on (though that won't make it completely lifeless) and check spark plug.

But they don't account for no oil.

Did it have oil prior? When was oil lady checked? It can't just all disappear so it's either got out which you should notice by a mess, or it had none and you've wrecked it running dry. Sorry.

Because of oil I can't see an easy fix here even if spark plug has popped out by weird perchance. So check for lots of oil around engine and floor. None?
Then i guees you have no choice but to get it to shop. Sorry. If your not mechanically minded with tools you can pull engine apart yourself.
One suggestion is to ring local club you were looking at riding with and ask if anyone there would look st it for you for cash? Lots of dads will work on own and kids engines and some can pull them down. Might be grateful for some cash!

tamarillo, Feb 19, 6:37pm
Eh? Getting head off a simple two stroke is easiest thing.

intrade, Feb 19, 8:01pm
the piston and cilinder will be destroyed means it needs a full rebuild i dont know what it will cost here but it was close to 2000$ for my mates 125 that he drove like a maniac on the autobahn with 140kph and max rpm and 25.000km the pison and cilinder had reached its end of live .
2 stroke petrol bikes all wear out like this . and misstreating wears them way faster . so yea its bad news not what you would like to hear. maks sure no one can use your motorbike they also get stolen so a GPS unit and alarm might be another thing to think about installing.

intrade, Feb 19, 8:07pm
what needs to be done is a compression test thru sparkplug hole.
also you want to post exact model and year and if its air or water cooled.
if its got huge finns its air cooled i hope you put 2 stroke oil back in the tank befor you try and start it. I dont know the design if it opens a compression lever when its out of oil so it wont start older bikes seezed the piston on no oil so it needs furter investigating befor somone with no clue now pulls it appart

skin1235, Feb 19, 8:22pm
DR's are 4 stroke's intrade, 2005 could be a water bug

kazbanz, Feb 19, 9:04pm
Hi star -The DRZ125 is a fantastic little bike and almost bullet proof.
But like anything abuse it badly enough and it will die.
To help you I'm sorry I have to go into lecture mode.
The motor is a VERY low tek four stroke single.
Its been around a very long time.
It has NO decompression gear and its a very simple little engine.
First of all You need to establish if the kickstarter is actually turning the engine over at all. This is a common fault with these bikes as they are stopped so often by crashes etc so the starter gets a fair bit of abuse.
easy way to check is to take the spark plug out and kick the starter you should be able to see the piston going up and down or if you cant get light down the plug hole then cut a wire coat hanger and lower the end down the spark plug hole till it touches the piston.push the kickstarter down a bit and the wire should go up or down. --if it doesn't then you might be in for a fairly easy fix.
Second-given the kickstarter is turning the motor over then you need to remove the spark plug and kick the motor over to top dead centre (piston at the top) unscrew the valve covers and see if any of the the rockers are wiggling around loose. if so then turn the engine over again and try again
any of the rockers are tight all the time then they need backing off a bit.
What we are establishing is if you have valve clearances of any sort as this is the second most common cause of a DRZ125 stopping.
next I would be making sure it actually has NO oil. Stand the bike upright and use the dipstick.They don't have a particularly big sump.
If there is none have a good look around and under the engine to see where its gone. A popped kickstarter seal,a popped out gearshift seal eeep-a smacked in sump are all possibilities.
if there is NO external sighnes of leakage then have a look at the exhaust pipe.and see if the end of it is wet with oil.
What you need to know is where the oil has gone to avoid a repeat.
Worst case scenario you have put a hole in the piston or busted a compression ring. a rebore is $100 a gasket kit is $40 and a piston kit is $100 They are really easy to tear down and rebuild.
I guess VERY worst case scenario a valve has busted but I have to say that would be very very rare.
The hardest part of the job usually is cleaning all the spooge from around the front sprocket.
If you want a step by step walk through on stripping the engine down Im happy to help.
Good luck
This is based on specific personal experience with both DRZ125 small and Big wheel (disk brake/drum brake)
Ohh and lastly-I know these bikes pretty well so I can tell you with confidence if your nephew didn't stove in the sump then the DRZ was already sick or to repharase---this was going to happen anyhow.

terry012, Feb 19, 9:49pm
Thanks kazbanz. i didn't even check the bike hah.just went off top of head as to problem solving.Excellent post

intrade, Feb 19, 9:55pm
he next time I went to ride it the oil was bone dry
so you are talking about sump oil? i was thining you where talking about the 2 stroke mixer oil tank when you wrote this.
its why its important to tell exactly what make model year etc. not only for cars for anything as the same thing could have a extra component the next year that we wont know and not be able to see it of what it consists makes it even more difficult to answer correctly

muzz67, Feb 19, 10:08pm
model and year are clearly stated in previous posts.