I need some Car Dealer Advice.

aoc1, Mar 12, 7:44am
I brought a secondhand car from a reputable dealer (big name) for 15K and I have had to take the car back 2 or 3 times for the same issue and the car is making the same noise again today ( I have owned it 6 weeks).What would you do? What would be my best course of action? They have fixed it for free previously and been generally very good. Just now i'm very nervous that I've brought a lemon. Thanks in advance.

jmma, Mar 12, 7:49am
What is the car and what is the noise, maybe someone on here can help sort out what the noise is and you can go back armed with a bit of knowledge (o:

tony9, Mar 12, 7:58am
Have a good read of this. http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/for-consumers/law/consumer-guarantees-act

Then go and talk to a dealer principal or manager, politely explain that you would like it resolved finally, and ask what they propose. Don't threaten them with the act, but make it clear that you understand that you want $15K worth of vehicle or your money back. Try to avoid one more go to fix it, rather you want a fit for purpose now, or your money back.

aoc1, Mar 12, 8:02am
Suzuki Swift GLX 2011 Its a grinding noise when reversing out of a space on hard lock and also hard lock turning. Also when I'm in traffic on a forward incline the brakes creak really badly. They have told me its all good to go but the mechanic couldn't get the brakes to creak am beginning to feel like I'm going a bit mad like maybe its me.

tony9, Mar 12, 8:10am
The grinding could be a number of things, most likely would be oversized tires. Brakes may just need a work-out. However both symptoms could be a serious problem with wheel bearings (unlikely). However diagnosis is not your problem. The dealer should be able to resolve the issues one way or another.

aoc1, Mar 12, 8:23am
Defiantly not over sized tyre's they are standard. You can feel it in the steering wheel when it grinds. Only happens on left hard lock both into and out of parking spaces. They said it was something to do with the suspension last time they greased everything and was all good for a couple of weeks then it was back.

franc123, Mar 12, 8:31am
Something is obviously touching something it shouldn't be, it should not be that hard to track down. While the noise shouldn't be there, appreciate that holding the steering on hard lock for more than a second or two is a no no, especially on hydraulic power steered cars as its simply not good for the system and it will be advised against in your owners manual. In short, don't do it.

jmma, Mar 12, 8:34am
Sounds like it is just rubbing on the steering stops.

aoc1, Mar 12, 8:45am
I'm going either drop in there on the way to work and email or talk to the manager I'm disappointed that its happening again.

pandai, Mar 12, 9:10am
Are the brakes creaking when the car is moving, or stopped, or creeping very slowly?

How hard are you holding the steering wheel on the locks at either end?

Two of our cars have creaking brakes - have done since new - but only when stopped and not using quite enough pressure on the brake pedal. Is that the sort of thing you're complaining about?

Not all cars with hydraulic power steering like being held on the stops - our BMW certainly sounds like it hates it.

aoc1, Mar 12, 9:17am
its creaking when moving slowly forward on a slight downward hill in heavy traffic. I can feel the pads let go and it creaks ,doesn't do it on normal driving except if you make a sharp stop. They skimmed the discs and greased it all up. The grinding isn't on a hard hard lock its just when you are pulling a tight corner into and out of a parking space.

pandai, Mar 12, 9:23am
Might be worth a drive in another - same - car to see what happens. Brakes might be sorted with a different pad compound - unless was the drums at the back?

aoc1, Mar 12, 5:57pm
Yup have driven a few mum has the same car and had no issues.

tamarillo, Mar 12, 6:19pm
May I suggest that if you have no joy today take car to AA for checking these two things. They can check components, etc and report on what's happening and. What needs fixing.
This worked for me when in discussion with a workshop. Producing AA report independently showed what was wrong and they could no longer bullshit me.
AA is also considered reliable by othets should you need to go further, but I'd doubt it.
They might find nought wrong, just xxxxxxxxx.

aoc1, Mar 12, 8:54pm
I have emailed them this morning so hopefully I get a reply shortly.

kazbanz, Mar 12, 9:22pm
aoc1- The faults you describe honestly do not in any way sound like major issues or issues that are going to endanger you in any way.
PLEASE don't misunderstand me. I get that you have paid $15000 for a car and on that basis you sure don't want/ expect any issues whatsoever.
I think I know exactly what is happening.
First off the brake pads were replaced in NZ -I bet the wrong compound pads were used -sounds like a hard compound.
To reiterate -not a danger to you and the fix is a simple pad replacement and correct cleaning/lubrication of the brake components.
The power steering issue. If I could aslk a little favour of you. if you can take you car to mums place and make the steering in your car make "that" noise. Then go to mums car and do exactly the same thing with the steering.
My guess is that you will actually hear the same noise from mums car and what you are experiencing is normal. Literally you just do not put a cars steering hard onto full lock.
if I'm wrong (have been before will be again) then Im pretty sure the noise is the power steering belt. It might have crud on it from being groomed or might need replaceing or setting up.
But again -not major as long as the noise is only right at the very end of the steering -just as the steering is hitting its limit.
I'd offer to listen etc and have you listen to one of mine but its against forum rules

aoc1, Mar 12, 10:00pm
Hey Kabanz, This is a NZ new car, I have tested on mums car doing exactly the same thing and no noise I have also tested this on the loan cars they have given me. The branch manager has emailed back and they are going to get it looked at again.

tamarillo, Mar 12, 10:10pm
Is the steering possibly the steering pump?

franc123, Mar 13, 12:24pm
Wouldn't be a pump or drive belt issue if its only doing it on one lock.

pauldw, Mar 13, 5:35pm
A 2011 Swift is probably electrically assisted steering.

kazbanz, May 1, 9:18am
Hey it doesn't sound like its a major issue.if its an intermittent fault then it may well be they thought they had it sorted.