Do 98 toyota camrys have a good rep? plse

purplegoanna, May 8, 7:28am
first of all im now in oz, rural oz where 99% of cars have huge mileage wether new or old. but ive found an elderly gentleman whos selling his one owner 98 camry with on 64,000 kms on the clock. so im just wondering what the pros and cons of camrys maybe. TIA

intrade, May 8, 7:35am
yes anything toyota to early 2000 is classed as almost bullet proof for electronic faults, and what goes wrong is easy guessed usually by your local swapatron mechanic, However you can diagnose these also professionally and you can learn on these as the structure of how it all works is the same as on new cars
now this is only for 4 cilinder petrol toyota the all good not v6 engines .

gammelvind, May 8, 8:06am
Buy it, when it's done 400,000km give a service and do it again.

meow_mix, May 8, 8:20am
Hm, not the clearest answers there for an average punter like purple.

The Toyota Camry is one of the best built and reliable cars in the world, a huge success story for Toyota.

a.woodrow, May 8, 8:30am
Pros:

Parts plentiful and cheap
You will die before the car does
Resale is solid
Easy to service and maintain

Cons:

Hood lining will drop if it hasn't already
Dash will crack if it hasn't already
(these are both sun exposure issues)

Risk of dying of boredom.

The only caveat would be avoiding a 6 cylinder one, they are prone to headgasket/cracked head issues

Also if you buy it and it hasn't had a cambelt yet, get it done, should be done every 10 years even if mileage isn't high

purplegoanna, May 8, 8:39am
lolz meow mix all goods, I comprehend fully, its been garage stored its entire life. now I shall begin the haggling. thanks to all for your input

ema1, May 8, 12:14pm
3VZ FE V6 was prone but not so the 1MZ FE from around 1995 onwards in Avalon's and from around 1996-7 in Camry's and Toyota Windom/Lexus ES300 cars.
The 1MZ FE with oil changes done every 5000km like I do with mine with 10w30 grade oil summer and 5w30 in winter are nigh on bullet proof.
There's lots of em in Australia and they have proven themselves rugged and long lived.

snoopy221, May 8, 1:29pm
Sounds ta me lyk ya on to it-good ole ex kiwi-lol-nd yeah be a good damn buy I M O . After all-what;s choice 2 and 3? Wait-xy GTHO phase 3-?-Rock on hope aus is all good for ya.

tgray, May 8, 7:41pm
Go easy on the old guy.

budgel, May 9, 12:24am
They were a good car.
At that age, general condition is the important thing.

msigg, May 9, 5:49am
Yes buy it, they ere one of the most reliable and best riding cars on the road, get it serviced and coolant/antifreeze changed and your good to go. Real nice car.

wellyguynz, May 9, 8:01am
Great thing with the cambelts in these is that they take about an hour to do and cost f all

geoff_m, May 10, 8:27pm
We have a 2.2l Camry Gracia, now sitting at 210,000km and we bought it at ~80000.
I would hae to look up the recors for repairs, but nothing major - regas the aircon, a leaky oil seal (done when cambelt was done), ignition lock wore and had to be fixed by the locksmith.
Those $200 Chinese 2DIN GPS radio units slot straight in and are good value, replacing the Japanese market original that doesn't work in NZ. I recommend it with a reversing camera as it makes it easier to park.
The camry wagon is long - longer than a Range Rover so keep that in mind for parking.
It gets around 35mpg.
It is also never going to win any races or be of any use for picking up chicks. It is sotly sprung and rolly on the corners, and the beige colour perfectly suits the character. They are however the perfect family car - lots of space, relaible, and as common as dirt for parts and repairs.
Geoff

fordcrzy, May 11, 5:20am
35mpg? what the hell is that? we buy petrol in liters and the cars odo is in kilometers.

franc123, May 11, 6:47am
Its an indicator that its quite economical for its size, many older people still regard 30mpg as being an acceptable fuel economy for an average car, below or above this and its good or bad. Saying something does 16km to the litre doesn't give them the same indicator, but calculating it back to mpg does.

slarty45, May 11, 11:36pm
True. My beard is grey & the 4 month old car good for 58 - 62 mpg.
The Lincoln I sold recently did 14 - 20 mpg.

gammelvind, May 12, 7:19am
Just amazing that many older people don't understand the metric system, such a simple system. Fortunately we have settled on a liter per 100km method of calculating economy and frankly it should be the only figures discussed here, how else is anyone going to learn it.
Now that I am becoming one of those older people I am staggered by those who still talk in inches and mpg in today's New Zealand.

gunhand, May 12, 7:27am
Awww come on. 9 inches sounds much better than 230mm. doesn't it?

ema1, May 12, 7:28am
I do understand and I'm retired but I at times convert to MPG just to see how they compare with vehicle economy back in history.
No harm in that and no doubt I'll continue to do it at odd times?
Call me a fuddy duddy if you like . frankly I don't give a damn.
Regarding the Camy. Go for it I certainly recommend it if it's at a good price, they might be boring to some but who gives a stuff when they will haul you there and back reliably pretty much all the time.

gammelvind, May 12, 7:48am
Haha but I am staggered by the number of young people in the panel and paint trade who haven't a clue about measures. Young guys asking for 4inch discs, so I say pointing to the boxes, grab the one you need and they can't because there are no imperial on the boxes. A young guy came out and asked for a box of 18mm tape and a box of 2 inch, no clue what he was saying just repeating what the foreman told him. I see it as a sad commentary on the training my generation are offering youth.

gunhand, May 12, 7:58am
I guess I'm lucky I can work in both. Don't use gallons or pints though. Still call a 100x50 a 4x2. And as for discs, well 4inch or 100mm works for me lol.
And look how we say our height, I know no one who use's metric for that, And if someones said they were 1.5m I ask for feet and inches to get an idea. As I said 6' 6" sounds way better whatever the other is.

geoff_m, Feb 1, 11:18pm
about 11-12 km/l then, or 8l/100km