Colorado v hilux.

Page 1 / 2
woody281, Jun 18, 7:52am
Positive and negative things about both please.

monaro17, Jun 18, 8:01am
Both brand new? My 2C

Pros: the Hilux will be reliable, the Colorado is powerful and looks ok.

Cons: The Hilux is too old, completely outdated and quite laughable power and torque compared to the rest. The Colorado is better than when the current model first came out, it was very very "truck like", it still has a noisy diesel.

If it were me, it would be a BT-50 or a Ranger every time

timbo69, Jun 18, 8:35am
I have a colorado and like it - its far better than a hilux. A ranger is better again but when I priced them up the ranger were 6k more and I wasn't paying more.

If you do a lot of towing buy an auto - manuals these days are very high geared for fuel efficiency which is good for wallet when buying fuel but hard on the clutch when starting to move heavy loads.

I really dont like at those cheeky mazdas smiling at me.

m16d, Jun 18, 9:35am
Hilux all the way. Colorado is just a show pony. Don't be fooled by HP and Torque numbers. and auto's are only for drivers that don't know how to drive. absolutely no engine braking. get a manual.

brapbrap8, Jun 18, 10:28am
Well if you can't afford a Ranger then I would take a Colorado over a Hilux any day.
Make it an auto too, modern autos are damn good with quite clever engine braking (or just use the tiptronic if you need more).

monaro17, Jun 18, 10:46am
Practically every word of that is the complete opposite of reality. I'm sorry that is garbage.

doglover2003, Jun 18, 10:48am
Hiluk all the way - they make some junk holden
You would not see Toyota selling a piece
of shite like a holden cruze - what else
holden capable of doing or not doing ?

franc123, Jun 18, 11:08am
lol

I think you will find that GM are selling a product that's well capable of shovelling the sheepshagger permanently back to third place (or preferably burying it) where it belongs. The new Hilux has to be significantly better than the questionable and somewhat flaky under harsh conditions model they've foisted on the public for the last 10 years that traded off the reputation of the previous tough and longlasting slugs of the 90's. Not sure what Cruze has to do with anything, its a reasonably good product for what it costs.

timbo69, Jun 18, 5:48pm
I have a 3.5 ton trailer, I tried towing with all the common utes before buying a colorado. The hilux was in 3rd gear up the bombay hills and screaming to hold 60km/h the other utes were in 5th at 100km without to much bother- You simply cant compare the hilux with new rangers/colorados/bt50.

A manual hilux is better but thats probably because they are so low geared and the auto is 20 year old technology. The new auto transmissions are excellent

Your living in the past.

survivalkiwi, Jun 18, 6:58pm
Hilux is still trying to live on its Barry Crump image.
I know two people who own Colorados who regrete the day they bought them.
I would go with the Ranger.

tamarillo, Jun 18, 7:48pm
Long teRm purchase, like 10'yrs at a least, Hilux. It's still tough as and well known for it so resale will be better.
Like better dynamics, better road stance, and don't expect to keep for ages, Colorado is damn fine ute and should do the job. What about its Izuzu brother?

doglover2003, Jun 18, 8:04pm
Its about a company keeping standards - Toyota would
not sell a rebadged Daewoo under their name.

taurus61, Jun 18, 9:04pm
Yet they were happy to sell the cavalair .

bjmh, Jun 18, 9:05pm
Hilux has been a very good ute for me since 1992 ,I have a 2011 now ,auto cause that suits my driving conditions.I service heaps of hilux,also service a lot of Colorado.Colorado is a very good product,probably more leg room in the back seat area of D/Cab.Earlier Colorado had very agriculture sounding engines,but very reliable . if serviced properly.Hilux have had problems as well,but same deal. service correctly.Colorado are competively priced. hilux have a good resale value.

skiff1, Jun 18, 9:20pm
Ranger/bt50

doglover2003, Jun 18, 9:25pm

doglover2003, Jun 18, 9:31pm
Just buy a Nissan anyway - in terms of older 4wd's
dare say more Nissan's getting round than any other
make because they are the best !

skiff1, Jun 18, 9:32pm
ha!

westwyn, Jun 18, 9:39pm
I've recently bought a Colorado LT-Z after a LOT of research, test driving and comparisons, and listening only to those who either (a) own one or (b) fix them professionally. I've no brand loyalty whatsoever either- just wanted the best truck for my money. My Colorado has impressive torque (500nM) and yes, despite the naysayers, it's got plenty of engine braking, it's been excellent to tow with so far. Rear seat room (I've 2 kids so this is important for long journeys) is the best in class I think. Noise levels are about as expected- the 2.8 doesn't sound as good as the 5-cylinder Ranger / BT-50 units but it's about the same in cabin decibels, perhaps slightly less at cruising speed- which by the way, with the 6-speed auto, is pretty much only ticking over at 100-110kmph. I wouldn't consider a manual version- they are not a Colorado strong point- but the auto is excellent. And don't be dissuaded by the "only buy a manual" comments, in urban Auckland it's the ONLY option to have unless you're pig-headed enough to believe somehow shifting gears makes you more of a "man". Been there, done that, have a motorsport career behind me, years as a professional driver etc, I'm over the whole auto vs manual argument.

Bluetooth works well in the Colorado, driving position is excellent and the seats for longer journeys are comfortable. Audio not a strong point- a speaker upgrade is due I think soon. Visibility out the back window is poor with the third headrest.

Diesel economy seems good so far. And working in the industry in the scope I do, I've had reason to be concerned about warranty issues with the Ranger / BT-50 and the Amarok- the Colorado has been pretty trouble-free by the looks of it.

Take both for an extended test drive, really compare the stuff that is important to you, and work out a spec that suits.

Good luck- and enjoy your choice!

doglover2003, Jun 18, 10:07pm
Yeah you know good chance its true - bugger
all early 90's Yoata's Mitzi's getting round my
hood - most have shite themselves moons ago.

Triton has best in class rear seat.
Colorado A pillar blind spot best in class !

500 nm - school boy stuff - mighty Nissan had
550 nm many many years ago with old platform.

skully13, Jun 19, 6:42am
And yet it could only tow 3000kg- school boy stuff

doglover2003, Jun 19, 7:15am
Only 3 ton - yep school boy stuff

cone1, Jun 19, 7:22am
New Hilux due out. 2.8 Diesel and 4.0 V6 petrol

timbo69, Jun 19, 7:37am
I agree mostly with what you say, I own a year old manual LTZ and wish I had got an auto for towing as you say, although im getting 950-1000km on a tank of diesel when not towing, so 1000km costs me ~$90 in diesel and $53 in RUC's

I like the audio system - mylink is very good except for the navigation which suxs arse. Apparently the back seat isn't that comfortable (not that im worried. ) I find the visibility in all utes is rubbish the reversing camera takes a bit of getting used to but I wouldn't be with out it now.

timbo69, Jun 19, 7:46am
I have been looking forward to see what toyota come out with and i must admit im a disappointed, The shape dosent seem that different to the old one? that chrome toyota sticker across the tailgate wore off on me 10 years ago and I really taught they would at least equal the kw/nm figures of the other utes. Still I am sure they will still sell well - plenty of old dogs out there.