Importing a vehicle from UK

rotoracer, Oct 10, 6:30am
Any tips or advice will be appriciated.

martin11, Oct 10, 7:00am
Make sure it is not damaged by salt .

the-lada-dude, Oct 11, 8:16am
what were you thinking of importing ? I've passed the thought through the old noggin, but prices didn't seem much better . mybe more work needed on my part

tgray, Oct 11, 9:03am
Depending on the type of car and price range, you may save some money importing yourself, but you have to do your 'due diligence' and read up the requirements for importing a car into NZ to get them road legal and must get it inspected prior to purchase.
When comparing prices in the UK and NZ, factor in all the variables; exchange rate, pre purchase inspection, shipping, insurance, compliance, GST, MAF, fees, REG costs, etc.
It is surprising how all these things add up and suddenly that car on ebay.co.uk doesn't look so cheap any more.

socram, Oct 11, 9:13am
Depends on the car. Older or newer.

Have a chat with the local compliance centre, as there have been many horror stories. What is OK for the UK (even new) may not even get onto NZ's roads as our rules do not align with theirs.

Having said that, some brand new cars in the UK can be considerably cheaper than brand new here, even taking into account shipping and compliance costs.

meoldchina, Oct 11, 10:19pm
I have imported a motorhome from the UK without any problems. The same vehicle would have cost me almost twice as much if I had bought it in NZ, plus I had the benefit of driving it around the UK for 6 months, ironing out any potential problems (there weren't any) and allowing the van to depreciate in value, so reducing the export duty.

oliver6, Oct 11, 10:23pm
What was the export duty ?

meoldchina, Oct 11, 10:56pm
Sorry, not export duty - import duty. We had to pay 10% of the van's value and shipping cost and 15% GST on the total.

tgray, Oct 12, 8:24am
Must have been a long time ago.

the-lada-dude, Oct 12, 8:40am
We had to pay 10% of the van's value . huh !

meoldchina, Oct 12, 8:43am
This time last year.

wizzbikz, Oct 12, 9:02am
Check it 110% before you buy, Been there 3 times with Mercs last one Fantastic first 2 were hard work . Buy one that has spent most of its life as far south as possible no more than 1 or 2 years old with 1 owner. Best of luck.

tgray, Oct 12, 11:28am
I have imported many cars and the last time I had to pay import duty was in 1991.

the-lada-dude, Oct 12, 12:35pm
WIZZBIKZ
was it a good saving ? . i guess it must have been or you wouldn't do it . only Merc's and do you go for a certain model or spec .

cummingsra1, Oct 12, 8:28pm
Motorhomes still attract 10% import duty, while duty has been abolished on passenger cars etc. for a long time.

the-lada-dude, Oct 13, 8:11am
Interesting . how so for caravans ?

cummingsra1, Oct 13, 10:32am
Same duty rate applies to caravans.

rsr72, Oct 13, 2:13pm
#1- Good prices on new and used cars here from established exporter.

https://mhhinternational.com/

kazbanz, Dec 25, 1:10pm
3k-4k freight.MUST be a rust free vehicle or it gets expensive.
Must be either over 20 years old or at the oldest 2004 but you need to confirm 100% that the specific exact car is compliant.