Debt collection for expired vehicle license?

Page 2 / 3
seadubya, Sep 6, 10:33pm
What pedant thought that auto generating debt collection warnings over something so trivial was a good idea? Go online and attempt to put it on hold, if there is no fee do it and wait a week before licensing it so they miss out on the 3 months rego. (11th June to 11th September = 3 months.)

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 5:31am
Sorry, 11 July, not June.

the-lada-dude, Sep 7, 8:10am
Yeah, I could see a trying to be clever twot trying that logic on, but i'm sure you can engineer around that one ?

pico42, Sep 7, 8:12am
Your “other answer” isn’t supported by the law.

westwyn, Sep 7, 8:33am
To answer your original question: Because otherwise, people simply don't / won't pay. NZTA have been wringing their hands for years now about the low levels of compliance (ie people keeping their cars registered and WOF'd on the road) and the stack of police-issued fines for operating a vehicle on the road without a WOF, REG or both. Kiwis are notorious it seems, for simply taking no notice, and so, despite all the polite letters, the less than polite letters, then the threats, there is a high proportion of people who think they have the right to operate their car on the road in whatever state they want, just because they can, and the rest of us, who DO pay our registration, and keep a WOF current on our cars, are simply suckers for doing so, or happy to let us prop up (via our Registration and ACC levies etc) their choice not to.

Unfortunately there are a genuine few out there who do get caught out, but NZTA long ago gave up on trying to weed out the genuine "I forgot" cases from those who simply don't give a sh*t.

Continuous vehicle licensing is here to stay. The enforcement required to collect a debt (which, legally, it is) is also here to stay. The system of exemption is not always perfect, granted, but as a one-size-fits-all it's not bad, either.

gazzat22, Sep 7, 8:56am
Well it could be worse like the UK.No rego(Road Tax) No insurance ) Car impounded two weeks to pay or to the crusher.

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 9:10am
Actually, I'd like to see more seizing of uncomplied vehicles used on the roads. As westwyn says, too many people drive unwarranted and unlicensed cars on the roads, and there seems to be little penalty apart from adding to the fines that they don't pay anyway, which are eventually wiped with a token community service period.

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 9:20am
Fair points. As usual though, it's easier to chase the honest for a momentary lapse, rather than those racking up the large fines who, as you say, just don't care.

gazzat22, Sep 7, 9:33am
Yes.I dont know why they have roadside wof/regn checks when checks could be carried out in any supermarket carpark. !

martin11, Sep 7, 9:38am
They are starting to use cameras in the north island on plate recognition and you will just get a ticket in the mail for no reg or warrent .

gazzat22, Sep 7, 10:40am
Hope they,ve referred it to the Waitangi Tribunal as its probably covered in that wonderful document ,'everything else is.!

martin11, Sep 7, 10:51am
Be interesting to know how many of the brotherhood would be in the situation no warrent or reg on their car . Probably do not need one under the WT

amasser, Sep 7, 11:20am
Post 1 - 'not being used'.
Post 3 - 'it still gets regularly used'.
Post 33 - who can be bothered deciding which you are?

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 11:54am
Regularly used, but not currently being used as it is not compliant. Reading comprehension not your strongest subject?

chalkie51, Sep 7, 12:21pm
Re putting on hold and paying back registration, I dont think you can pay registration as vehicle has no warrant.

kazbanz, Sep 7, 12:22pm
Actually --thinking about your original question. Why threaten debt collection? Simple really--it got your attention didn't it? you are now going to do something about it aren't you?

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 12:43pm
I was already doing something about it before I got the letter. So it hasn't made any difference in that respect.

jmma, Sep 7, 12:48pm
Sad

2sheddies, Sep 7, 1:08pm
Most supermarket carparks are private property, therefore they wouldn't be able to issue a ticket if a car or cars were parked there with expired wof or rego as it's not on a public road at the time. I guess they would have to set up at each exit to nab them as they pull out onto the public road.

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 1:25pm
Public service announcement: As of 1:15pm, the vehicle in question now has a valid licence label (albeit in my wallet). Thank you all for your comments.

elect70, Sep 7, 2:01pm
^^^ OK they Cant do FA until it has expired for 12 months then they just automatically cancel its rego totally . You have until then to pay the full rego fee . Its just more BS threats from NZTA.petty seat warmers .

matarautrader, Sep 7, 6:19pm
We often have a car parked at work (owner unknown) that has had no warrant or rego since 2015. And its a clean tidy looking well looked after car.

kazbanz, Sep 7, 6:21pm
I guess the lettwer did its job then.

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 7:08pm
It was probably more due to the fact that I spent 4 hours at VTNZ today to get COFs on my unit, but hey, same same right?

gsimpson, Oct 2, 4:58pm
Conversely if a lawful vehicle wasn't on the road it wouldn't have been in an accident either