Lexus v8 smoking!

Page 2 / 3
mechnificent, Oct 1, 10:29am
Ok, then you just jump between E1 and err. google it. haha.

mechnificent, Oct 1, 10:33am
The oiling might come right once the motor is running right. It's strange that there is no trouble code light coming on though. I'm a bit suspicious that someone has done something to prevent that to cover the real problem. It's good to have a challenge now and then. satisfaction comes from overcoming problems, and we all need a little satisfaction now and then. Good luck with it.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 1, 10:41am
If you are not scared of a soldering iron you could set yourself up with some software for the old protocol for virtually nothing.

http://primavistalab.com/myengine/

If the page doesn't open in English, use Chrome and hit translate.

You can buy converters for the old 22 pin Toyota plug and the round version as well for just a few dollars on ebay. Personally, I would use one of those to make my own adaptor cable as it's nice and neat and tidy then.

strobo, Oct 1, 10:46am
Maybe off track but Id be looking at the fuel pressure regulator ! ( valves again lol)
If either or all of these symptoms
Spark Plugs Blackened,The Engine Doesn't Run Smoothly,The Tail Pipe Emits Black Smoke or blue from oil thinning out from over fueling and oil being burnt off!,The Dipstick Smells of petrol,Engine Stalls,petrol Is in the Vacuum Hose or petrol drips out the tail pipe.
At least check that item its a critical one.

mechnificent, Oct 1, 10:54am
The easy way is to make short jumpers from your elm or whatever Obd2 cable, then just push the two or three you need over the relevant pins, either manufacturers or standard Od2, on the cars plug. then use the page in your software that allows you to manually send and receive data to query the addresses you need. Then you can connect to any car and to any control unit. once you know the addresses and communication protocol to use.

mechnificent, Oct 1, 10:59am
That is a good idea Strobo. that wouldn't set a code itself . other than the resulting overheated cat or misfire or O2 codes. It could cause the symptoms though.

bwg11, Oct 1, 11:00am
You gave us the clue in post #8, and although I seldom agree with Jazz, he gave you the answer with post #14. Until this is sorted/eliminated you are wasting your time exploring other avenues.

strobo, Oct 1, 11:03am
Common Ive found that a faulty regulator valve and also a faulty fuel pump wont log a code anyway .At least worth a looksie.

mechnificent, Oct 1, 12:31pm
That's right Strobo. mechanical faults don't log codes other than deduced ones such as misfire, or the codes for resulting problems.

If the ecu has a bad earth or power supply, the problems they cause don't set codes either. and for that matter, neither do internal faults in the cpu, such as leaking capacitors, cracked boards, burnt resistors or blown transistors. It might be a good idea Op to pull the ecu out, open it up and inspect it really carefully with a magnifying glass for any of those things. Transistors sometimes blow a small chip out of their side. resistors over heated are obvious, leaking capacitors leave liquid or dried up white powder or corrosion, and cracks or dry solder on the in/out pins need a careful inspection.

If the water temperature sensor is lacking water or has an electrical fault the ecu will realise the readings are out of parameter and ignore the reading, adopting a safe warm engine figure to use. It's not likely to cause the problem.

ema1, Oct 1, 12:47pm
Re my post #9 (above) I am still plumping for this as is mechnificent and for same reason as he states re ignoring temp sensor and adopting a "safe" mode . as I have been there seen this with ECU's before, got to remember the cars are getting older and ECU and other computer electronics de grade over time. that's why I bought the subject up in post #9.early on in here.
Import from Singapore could well be a factor !

ema1, Oct 1, 12:51pm
Covered this already. Check this in my post #6 .
I'd still be taking a good hard look at the PCV even though you say it's been cleaned. wise to check every possible fault as codes don't point to everything and various faults don't involve fault codes.
This issue is outside the realm of the "fault code" square IMO. It's a matter of systematically eliminating all possibilities, it can be a brain teaser for sure BUT the hands on thing usually turns up the best results ultimately !

ema1, Oct 1, 1:23pm
You've got to remember too that fault codes are unreliable if main ECU components are dodgy as in capacitors leaking circuit boards cracked/defective chips faulty the list goes on. re my earlier suggestion of swapping out ECU for a known "good" or new one.
I had similar on a clients Cressida years ago, replacement ECU sorted for the remainder of it's time when I was involved with it, I eventually owned that same car and it was faultless when I had it for around another 180,000kms after I bought it. proving ECU's DO FAIL out of the blue !
Cold start sensors and coolant sensors controlling the O/D circuit do fail as well so sensors need values and possible circuit faults checked, temp gauge circuit is involved with these sensors/senders and faulty non registering temp gauge could indicate issues but like mechnificent says might not be the issue here.
Ground points need to be checked out too for continuity as they can become defective.
I'd be still looking hard at PCV combined with dud ECU plus sensors being defective as a matter of course as I eluded to way early on, wouldn't hurt to check fuel injection gear CLOSELY for issues too as in worn dribbling faulty injectors, wrong/excessive common rail delivery pressures, pressure regulator/damper issues air flow meter AFM giving wrong,defective or no info to ECU etc.
Good luck as normally these cars are brilliant and very much bullet proof but there are exceptions to that rule and as they get older that will no doub't increase.
I bought up the suggestion of it being a Singapore import before for good reason as the climate there plays havoc on electronics and electrics generally in cars that have had a fair amount of their life time in Singapore or indeed other high humidity high temp regions of the world, previous maintenance is also a factor.

mechnificent, Oct 1, 1:34pm
Perhaps a vacuum gauge check might be a good idea. weak compression or leaking hoses could cause the vacuum to be low and that could cause the fuel pressure regulator to not work correctly.

The no trouble codes is significant though, and does point to an electrical fault.

ema1, Oct 1, 1:43pm
Exactly what I am thinking, I did mention vac leak issues ( my post #9) earlier too because of the no codes, even if sensors prove to be faulty as well . quite a possibility.
You never know this could have been over heated at some stage possibly without being realized ( non functioning temp gauge who would know)and the ramifications of this if it's the case will be on going.
Codes show that a fault has happened in certain areas BUT only that and it takes a canny tech to nail exactly what the fault is that caused the code/codes to be thrown up, as in this case no codes stumps those who rely solely in the system telling them whats wrong. so much for us old time mechanics who can actually think outside the square we still have our uses and "often" ( not all the time) nail things first pop ( hands on of course is best?)
Vac hoses and gaskets etc can and does deteriorate with time too.
Manifold bolts could have loosened off too these need to be checked and as I said the list goes on and on. ECU if it's faulty is going to bugger up the whole shebang right from the get go. and no sensor is going to be of any use if the ECU is the primary fault thus why I suggest doing a systematic go through of ALL systems as they have all done the same work time and nothing lasts forever, this is particularly true if regular maintenance gets skipped which is a common thing these days !

ema1, Oct 1, 2:02pm
To many so called techs rely on fault codes etc these days BUT they are no damn good if the components setting said fault codes are themselves faulty. often they are totally stumped because and shows all the head scratching they do because they simply can't think outside the square and give up, often saying they can't find out what's wrong a damn well give up, then charge clients like a wounded bull for what has been effectively a wasted exercise and a complete wast of time, hence the "Too Hard Basket " gets used far to often these days.
The secret is to weed out the "cowboys" from the respected above board techs that know exactly what they are doing, there's the crux of the matter. right there,but it's just not as easy as it might seem which is a shame, lots of scammers out there these days I'd believe in old school outside the square thinkers any day full stop.
Experience over many years verses back yarder type keyboard warriors wins out every time.
There is far too much of this going on these days . pity.

mechnificent, Oct 1, 2:08pm
Yup. I agree Ema. and yup, you were onto it early on. well done.

And yup, us old mechs do have our days. I moved to Orkland a few years ago and started at a toyota franchise. The foreman started out calling me the bush pig from Kaitaia and other cheek, and fair enough, I was out of date with all of toyotas latest developments, but within three months I was the highest paid toyota mechanic in the country and toyota central was ringing me up to ask if it was ok for them to send cars from all over Orkland to see me, for special customers, and problems that nobody else could find or solve. Despite all the fancy scanners and tools which didn't help the others one bit, I could deduce where to start, and then methodically, and systematically work my way through my own diagnosis processess and arrive at the problem, have the tests sorted that provoked the fault and so could assure myself the remedy was effective, and fix the problems time after time in good time.

Old basic reason and logically applying the basic principles and practices that all good mechanics should be familiar with. but aren't in the younger generation who's first and last hope is that a technical service bulletin will tell them the answer.

tweake, Oct 1, 2:32pm
so true. to many swapatrons's and not enough diagnostics.

ema1, Oct 1, 2:48pm
Absolutely . we's on the same wave length there mechnificent and we often get the dismissal treatment by some folks /one in particular in here who thinks he's holier than thou who gets all shite faced because his agenda takes a battering . and for relevant good reasons.
Seems years of experience amount to zilch but you and I plus various others, snoopy and franc123 for example and dealers like kazbanz, tgray, carstauranga and westwyn etc ( sorry I can't recall others but consider yourselves included) know better but still get the dismissal treatment and simply laugh at the obviously excessive amounts of Google based propaganda that looks like it's "cut & pasted" to make said types look intelligent which is really a smoke in mirrors false scenario situation.
I have to admit to lots of head scratching at lots of the false info and down right lies that fly at will on these motoring boards. plus the total denial/dismissal of anything not "complying" with agenda based ideas is for the want of better words . bloody extremely narrow minded to a hatred degree is mind blowingly childlike and off putting !
I like you are purely factual, experienced and practical in thinking outside the square unlike Google Warriors etc tend to be.
Google knowledge I consider to be short term short lasting knowledge and not the grounded sort that us either in the trade or retired from it will always retain. pity some of them find it extremely hard to listen to those in the know instead of thinking they know it all already and what do we know.
Credible folks like you mech and others including myself are the ones where all credence and credibility and knowledge of years in the business should be considered and deemed intelligent knowledgeable and can be treated with courtesy and given respect of that long accrued knowledge.
pity it's not recognized as such by some self opinionated types around here.
Sorry about this but I've had a guts full of one such on these boards that dares to doubt my motor trade credentials in vitriolic print on here ( Toyota Raum thread)
I'm no shrinking violet I'll give as good back when it's required as many others o qualified also have done . and rightly so.
O.P. I hope mechnificent and I plus others suitably qualified and experienced have offered sound advise to you finding and effecting a good remedy for your marvelous Lexus LS 400, don't be disheartened by it's woes I'm sure you'll have sorted.
If not there are other prime examples of the make out there to chose from and I for one highly recommend them, along with other Toyota's with good reason, again experience and ownership over many years is hard to deny !

mechnificent, Oct 1, 3:34pm
Ha. I know the feeling Ema. It's a bit like talking with your grown and know it all kids. that haven't had children of their own yet, and don't really know a half of what's involved in being a parent, and just how much wider and deeper our understandings are, the pragmatism we have learn, and the depth of understanding and knowledge we are bringing to the discussion.

You just gotta laugh Ema.

ema1, Oct 1, 3:53pm
Dead right mechnificent . I sure as hell do a lot of that. as well as scratching and shaking of my head totally bewildered!
One upon a time I would despair at those that go off on their own tangents mate, they can continue going on their merry way. to one on here in particular . ignorance is bliss "frankly I don't give a damn !"
We have the knowledge mate and it's for others to take notice, listen and take it on board isn't it. pity some just can't do that very thing. their loss.

mechnificent, Oct 1, 3:58pm
Call me mech. everyone does.

Yup. laugh and leave them to it.

ema1, Oct 1, 4:11pm
Done.

ema1, Oct 1, 4:22pm
One thing I will say mech. is I have way more faith in Denso electronics and other products than I will ever have in modern Euro electrics/electronics.
IMO Nippon Denso products are world leaders hence my faith in Toyota product, Denso Air is the world leader and Mitsubishi Air right up there too.
To me all those that shun Toyota and other Asian products these days do so through sheer ignorance and are indoctrinated or tainted with lies,deceit and utter one eyed propaganda laden rhetoric. really it's easy as to see.

ema1, Oct 1, 10:01pm
O2 sensor circuitry could be faulty and also needs investigation don't know if that's been mentioned yet but if so well and good !
Plus catalytic converter could be faulty too . worth checking. but ECU is likely culprit along with various sensors etc . check everything, it may take some time but thoroughness pays off ultimately, especially when no codes are present for some reason, lots of faults don't throw fault codes so other courses of action are called for. as in old school outside the square thinking and systematic diagnoses that is often lacking these days.
mech and I have both been wondering about that very fact. Mmmmm this will be an interesting one to follow up and have close tabs on.

ema1, Oct 1, 10:24pm
Check looms for breakages or other damage could be a prudent move too, knock sensors could be on the Fritz also. so there's a myriad of things that need gone through with a "fine tooth" comb. a real job for a keen tech/mechanic/sparky with a real investigative stop at nothing bent.