Nissan Leaf battery replacement $9000 !

Page 4 / 4
, Aug 20, 6:42am
No you can't, you can go about 50,000km on $9000 worth of petrol or something like 450,000km in a Nissan Leaf (at $2 per 100km). If you average 8km per litre in your petrol car would cost about $80,000 to do the same distance at the current fuel price in a petrol car.

Super cheap running is the main reason most people buy EVs, you save a fortune on petrol and maintenance. A used Leaf isn't much more expensive now than a petrol car of the same age and mileage.

Hybrids are great as taxis for stop start running, but they still take all of their energy from the petrol, so for open road commuting they really just add weight and complexity without any energy benefits.

harm_less, Aug 21, 7:34pm

bigfatmat1, Aug 21, 9:11pm
I spend $600 a month on petrol two cars. 9k is 15 months gas

alfred011, Aug 21, 11:24pm
Any thing is better than an electric piece of crap,it wont save the world what NZ does wont make any difference .

framtech, Aug 22, 12:27am
But the Demon leaves the track and travels another 650klm before a 2 minute re fuel, that EV would have used all its energy doing full power runs, and thats the problem with EV, Like to see a EV tow a large caravan around the country along with mum, the kids and two weeks of food and luggage to some remote spot in the south island. take my van, its weight, loaded with gear, tools and the boat on the back is nearly 4 ton and I head off from central Hawkes bay and drive to Cromwell , Hokatika or Nelson Lakes and back for a weekends racing, Love to see your leaf do that, I even towed a boat from Dannevirke to Cromwell with a 1000cc Toyota starlet once, no problem sat on 90 kph all the way, again the EV would be a joke.

, Aug 22, 5:58am
Actually the P100D is way better for towing than the Demon, more accessible torque throughout the rev range, no need to change gears, its heavier, four wheel drive and it has a range of 540km. The Tesla will tow anything, huge amounts of torque is the electric motors biggest advantage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr4-JZxFJ2s

The Demon is modified to be as fast off the line as possible, built as a drag car. The Tesla is a four door family sedan.

, Aug 22, 6:35am
2 cars doing 100km per day each (so 4000km per month) costs us about $70 - $80 in electricity for both. $9k would last us about 8 or 9 years.

We spend way more on coffee than we do on fuel.

bigfatmat1, Aug 22, 7:16am
would rather spend money on gas than drive round in a electric car

, Aug 22, 8:23am
You've never driven an electric car I assume, once you have you'll change your mind. I have both, you can do that you know, having an electric car and a petrol car, it doesn't take away your V8. it's just another kind of motor.

harm_less, Aug 22, 9:35am
And $9K would currently pay for 2 Leaf battery replacements, or 3 replacements before long based on the dropping prices on Li-Ion battery production. While fossil fuel prices head skywards and availability will decline in the coming years as a result of rising price and reduced demand.

marmar1, Aug 22, 12:40pm
If EV's take over how will the infrastructure be paid for, higher power prices or higher car rego or something else?

harm_less, Aug 22, 1:14pm
Probably some form of taxation based on distance travelled and vehicle weight similar to the current RUC system but likely remotely monitored by a vehicle tracking means (i.e. GPS/satellite). This also captures all road transport irrespective of fuel type or vehicle ownership (private vs. community 'Transport as a service').

Rego is probably too crude a method and is already 'past its use by date'. Taxation on electricity would require differentiating that portion of consumption that is used to charge EVs so open to avoidance and it would further incentivise home generation (PV).

bigfatmat1, Aug 22, 3:16pm
fix them weekly driven quite a few different types still has not changed my mind

, Aug 22, 3:23pm
Why?, apart from being silent and having much better power for the equivalent vehicle, what's the difference? I've owned everything from 400 big blocks to V12 jags as well as Leafs, they're all just cars.

bigfatmat1, Aug 22, 3:24pm
you cannot buy a new battery for 9k 4.5k to have one reconditioned. 64k for a 30kw batt new but you cannot get one in nz

harm_less, Aug 22, 4:18pm
Who buys *new* (genuine) replacement parts these days with the aftermarket choices on offer?

bigfatmat1, Aug 22, 6:30pm
what aftermarket choices is there for a nissan leaf battery. I have a gen 1 battery apart that has to faulty modules and I cannot find any rreplacement modules of matching or greater capacity and they cannot be purchased new.

mals69, Aug 22, 7:05pm
Demon no doubt good for towing a caravan
given it leaves the line like a tractor compared
to th Tesla, note post below Tesla better than
demon for towing too - "Winner winner chicken
dinner".

Who is goig to be wanting a fossil
fueled muscle car in the future when grannies EV
shoppng basket will leave one for dead ?
"All noise no go" will be the cries about fossil powered so
called muscle cars - watch this space!

mongolia1, Aug 22, 7:18pm
Yes t will need to be through a GPS vehicle tracking system in order to provide for the increasing numbers of plug in hybrids which do some running on petrol (with RUC included in the pump price) and some running on electricity where no RUC is payable before 2021. A GPS tracking system also allows for a pricing differential so it would be possible to set a higher charge to drive on heavily conjected roads at peak times. Managing demand though pricing postpones having to build new roads or upgrade old ones to provide more capacity. Every smart phone has the technology inbuilt so there are no major technology issues involved in rolling it out and installing GPS tracking in all vehicles.

harm_less, Aug 22, 8:51pm
Whether a vehicle is running on fossil fuel, electricity or a mix of various energies does matter. GPS based monitoring would be taxing all vehicles in the near future. Also hybrids are only a temporary phenomenon so not worth factoring into the equation.

, Aug 22, 9:06pm
I suspect they won't go with anything so complex at least initially, with modern vehicles odometers being pretty much impossible for the layman to tamper with I suspect it will just be a RUC label same as we see for diesels now. GPS based would be better, but difficult to implement without something standard that all auto manufacturers support. Otherwise you'll need some seperate E-Road style device in every vehicle which seems like it would be easier to game than just a odo reading?

bigfatmat1, Aug 22, 9:13pm
Walter has none. I'll look into link though.

hoadyas1, Oct 18, 12:46am
who would be so stupid as to that geeez