Nissan Leaf battery replacement $9000 !

Page 3 / 4
, Aug 17, 4:44pm
Most EV drivers charge every day, it doesn't get annoying at all. I literally have a plug on the ground were my car stops, I pick up the plug and plug it into the car. It takes about 10 seconds. I do about 30000km per year.

I still have the same second car I've had for about 12 years. I suspect I'll still have it in 12 more.

Sure but depending on your use case, if your replacing your car, or buying a second one an EV makes a lot of sense.

rayonline_tm, Aug 17, 5:04pm
I was thinking when this become the norm for pretty much everyone. There will be a significant number of drivers who live in houses / townhouses without garages, or they have garages like myself but it is full of stuff. Apartments or those who just park on the street. I myself for example might find a convenient day to run that extension cord outside for example but doing it every day is maybe a bother. Or simply just pay for a commercial charging station.

There will also be a no. of drivers who don't drive that much miles per year and it needs to be more worthwhile for them too.

harm_less, Aug 17, 5:19pm
Lack of off-street parking is more common in the UK than it is here. One of the solutions that have been implemented there is to retrofit streetlights with (slow) charging facilities for EVs. https://www.fastcompany.com/40441853/not-everyone-has-a-garage-but-what-if-the-streetlights-were-electric-car-charging-stations

rayonline_tm, Aug 17, 5:33pm
Yes, but for the general motorist, they like new things. If that was not the case we wouldn't have all these new cars and shopping malls.

, Aug 17, 5:36pm
No one uses fast chargers solely in NZ, pretty much the opposite, the vast majority of EV drivers only charge at home.

cabrio1, Aug 17, 6:44pm
When petrol came along, what do you think all the steam engine drivers were saying.
"It won't catch on"

rayonline_tm, Aug 17, 6:58pm
That is correct but for a EV car to fully replace petrol cars it needs to be viable for everyone. Unless they are still going to maintain EV and ICE cars 20+ years down the track.

bill1451, Aug 17, 7:02pm
Yup I can remember when battery drills came on the market, my old boss 30 yrs ago said "heck battery drills will never catch on, just another gimmick" yea right I have 3 of them and no longer work in the trade.

a.woodrow, Aug 17, 7:10pm
Well you cant allow for thing like neglect (only three cambelts), Many evs use regenerative braking, servicing is virtually non existent. Good on you for servicing your own, regardless of which oil, filters etc are not free and many people pay others to do this for them. Leafs start from as little as 10k or so, outside of a potential battery replacement ongoing maintenance is virtually nil. Owners will be making savings each and every day, never mind a "maybe" battery in 10 years time

harm_less, Aug 17, 7:55pm
In 20 years time very few people will own cars due to the economic non-viability of doing so https://youtu.be/2b3ttqYDwF0

framtech, Aug 17, 10:06pm
One of my other cars is a new 6.4 litre muscle car, I am over 60 years old and frankly I don't give a shit about EV, I LOVE BURNING FUEL and my car looks ten times better than a EV, therefore I will die at the end of one of the best times on planet earth having ripped around on all sorts of motorbikes, race and rallied cars, raced powerboats and burnt fuel like no tomorrow and have a cabinet full of wins and it was great, as for the future, all i see is sheep, regulated and controlled by bureaucrats, restrictions on everything and lots of very sick and unhappy people taking anti depressants and drugs to get some meaning out of life (its already starting to happen) men are turning into poofs and woman are turning into men, what a future. Don't worry about pollution, worry about becoming controlled and imprisoned thinking its good.

a.woodrow, Aug 17, 11:06pm
Good thing you've got a big v8 so people know how much of a man you are. Not everyone measures their manliness against what car they drive

mals69, Aug 19, 11:16am
Your theory about the future falls down hydro when
EV's have more potential to pin you back in your seat
more than any fossil powered car.

serf407, Aug 19, 11:26am
Elon Musk - Tesla update august 2018
roadster less than 2 seconds to 60 mph - probably faster than many people's heads. Track modes for drifting at 8.20 in vid, probably make the 6 litre look slow eventually.
https://youtu.be/MevKTPN4ozw

planet suffering big time from the fossil fuel users, needs to be kept in the ground. I try to use as little as possible, haven't been on a plane in nearly 30 years.

framtech, Aug 19, 2:31pm
Don't care, they look horrible and are far too expensive bang for buck, why is it that a 1970's muscle car is worth more than 60,000.00 ,maybe because people actually love these cars and just simply hate anything a nerd drives, don't worry all the real men will be dead in thirty years and with them the best real cars ever built between 1968 and 2018. when those electric single seaters come on sport I change channels but tune into F1, V8 and WRC. Next you will be telling me Harley Davison is going to stop making real motorbikes yea right. EV engines are banned from powerboat racing and always will be, liike to see those stupid tesla's up against a top drag fuel car, crikey it still can't beat a dodge hellcat demon most of time and those tesla's are twice the price of the dodge. EV yes good for round town taxis service bu forget towing your wakeboard boat around the country.

framtech, Aug 19, 2:39pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2IPJBDmPdg and you can buy them of the shelf.

sw20, Aug 19, 2:41pm
Harley Davidson made a good motorcycle 80 years ago and have been cashing in on that ever since.

marmar1, Aug 19, 3:16pm

framtech, Aug 19, 3:49pm
cool but thats great for countries that have more people living in one city than the whole population of New Zealand which is situated in the world biggest carbon sync, has massive amounts of wind from the four corners of the world and in most part covered by green trees, grass and other plants. We are totally exempt from this oil wind up, we would be better to ban the use of nylon carpet(made from oil and all plastic packaging and went back to paper and glass). Look at the growth of dirty diesel powered vehicles in the last few years with the likes of the "want a be", ford ranger trucks and diesel powered cars. The whole thing is so screwed up its not funny and the minds of most are brain-washed by people and companies making billions of dollars out of these smoke and mirror scare tactics. even the greens have their proverbial heads up their arses so bent on power and control they miss the obvious (like nylon carpet over wool) . A good start would be for NZ to start manufacturing again and at least have more control over wastage and methods, this I see as far more important than wanging on about how great EV's are.

marmar1, Aug 19, 5:25pm
I'm with you, nothing much sounds as good as a V8 being given some jandle .

harm_less, Aug 19, 6:34pm
No option there for an EV charged from owner's own PV but it would beat the best of the available options given hands-down. And having your own refuelling station (on your home's roof) takes some beating!

mals69, Aug 19, 7:28pm
Hydro - plain embarrassing how the demon gets left behind!

https://youtu.be/OFmFr5boXvw

intrade, Aug 19, 7:45pm
Do EVs stand a chance against my CORVETTE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFol2ZQnASI

mals69, Aug 19, 9:21pm
Considering an ev can use all of its available torque
from a standstill a high performing ev would piss over
that vet from a standstill to at least 300m.
Old bugger with an ev was telling me there is
an ev with 6 motors on rear and 4 on front - 3000hp,
that vet would look ridiculous against it.

alfred011, Aug 19, 11:12pm
You could go along way on $9000 petrol EVs are waste of time and money ,have bugger all travel range you are better off with a hybrid .