One oil vs. another.?

Page 3 / 4
m16d, Aug 5, 9:45pm
Did you make that video yourself. ?
Get one of Frams top of the line filters and chop it open for a look.

comsolve, Aug 5, 10:07pm
What are HKS like? They look like they may be made in Japan.

franc123, Aug 5, 10:08pm
I can assure you they are not. Having seen several that have collapsed internally plus had to diagnose a number of vehicles that have had issues with the oil operated VCT systems and hydraulic lifters that were solely the fault of the Fram filter not flowing properly, particularly at low oil temperatures, which went away the instant they were swapped out. And before anybody says that oh you should be using the more expensive Race filter or whatever it is, there should be no need to, the product is either up to OEM spec or it isn't. Fram themselves recommend their filters be changed at less than half the km interval of an OEM filter on some vehicles so why anybody would bother using them is anyone's guess.

supernova2, Aug 5, 10:13pm
All the oil coys have an oil selector. Just google them and then use what they say. However I've noticed that for some odd reason the penrite site tends to show much thicker oils that most of the others. Therefore I'd tend to avoid penrite.
Here's some of them
http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/CastrolRetailNzl/ http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/caltx_nz/ http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/NulonAus/default.asp https://www.shell.com/motorist/find-the-right-oil.html#iframe=Lw==

supernova2, Aug 5, 10:17pm
I don't doubt you but surely the USA would have sued FRAM off the face of the earth if they are that bad?
I think more of a problem is when you grab a filter from the likes of BNT and now it comes in a plain white box with a quickstick label with a bar code.
Who made that and is it any good?

franc123, Aug 5, 10:29pm
Google Orange can of death and decide for yourselves. As for "no name" filters, it further underscores why using one with the approval of the car manufacturer is all things considered the best option doesn't it? If I was going to endorse an aftermarket brand if for whatever reason a genuine isn't available, I'd go for Purolator or maybe Mann.

comsolve, Aug 6, 1:48pm
What about Nismo? I was told by Redline they are Japanese made and a subsiduary of Nissan.

franc123, Aug 6, 6:29pm
OTT for what your car needs.

delerium1, Aug 6, 7:17pm
Honestly, any of the major oil brands will suffice. I've used Fran and ryco filters without any problem. Both have had issues in the past.

comsolve, Aug 6, 7:38pm
Cheaper than the Nissan filter.

gunhand, Aug 6, 7:46pm
I think you are over thinking all this OP. Think about it for a while. Literally hundreds of thousands of cars are running Ryco filters. If there was a real issue they would be out of business. They have been around for a long time.
I sold hundreds of the bloody things and thousands sold via where I worked. Only ever seen a few of come backs. And that was usually human error.
I have always run Ryco and prob always will, have 3 cars with 3 rycos on them.
You have a basic car with basic needs, its not a Ferrari or Lambo or some such thing.
And you will always have someone say that Bobs cousins uncles sister had an issue with one. But oddly, some people have issues with everything they seem to touch or drive. These filter have to meet spec. simple as that.
And if someone can name me a company or manufacture of anything with a zero failure or comeback rate I would be interested to know who they are.
And plenty of dealer ship mechanics came and got Ryco for there customers cars.
And there s of course brand snobbery to think about as well.

franc123, Aug 6, 8:02pm
There's also the fact that the company you are talking about have been overcharging for the filters they sell for years to be thinking about too, especially to the public It's hilarious that their average customer won't bother even asking their local dealership how much their manufacturers approved filter costs because of a dumb automatic assumption that "they'll be too dear" when in fact it may be cheaper than what either of the two major auto parts retailers are selling. Go figure that one out.

gunhand, Aug 6, 8:08pm
franc123 wrote:
There's also the fact that the company you are talking about have been overcharging for the filters they sell for years to be thinking about too, especially to the public It's hilarious that their average customer won't bother even asking their local dealership how much their manufacturers approved filter costs because of a dumb automatic assumption that "they'll be too dear" when in fact it may be cheaper than what either of the two major auto parts retailers are selling. Go figure that one out.[/quote

Thats not just filters either. Many new parts can be cheaper via the dealer, as well as many new parts horrendously more expensive. Some research helps for sure. The other thing is a whole shit load will be bought at the weekend from the big convenience stores that are open all weekend.
As I said above, many Ford, Holden, Mitsi, Toyota etc etc mechanics came and got said filters for their brand of cars. Mind you trade prices come into play there as well.

rayonline_tm, Aug 6, 8:23pm
Unless it has changed, some yrs ago I rang around. The Toyota dealer the cabin filters were the same as Repco etc. The air filters and oil filters the dealer was $10 more.

Re: the prices esp the oils, I just wait for the near half price specials and stock up. Repco also carries 6L Penrite oils, get them when they are half price also 2x containers = 3x oil changers for a car that takes 4L.

rayonline_tm, Aug 6, 8:37pm
Has anyone used Liqui Moly? Are they expensive?

comsolve, Aug 7, 5:32pm
For good reason -

Ryco around $15

Nissan over $30 and over $40, depending on dealership. Clearly, taking the piss.

This is why customers don't buy parts from dealers.

snoopy221, Aug 7, 5:35pm
Depends ENTIRELY on how good the anti drain back valve in the filter is and how much and how long it does the dreaded death rattle on start up to me

comsolve, Aug 7, 5:39pm
Even if you think the Ryco is shite, the Japanese made Nismo is still selling for sub-$30. HKS appears to also be a Japanese product and is also sub-$30.

I prefer Japanese products if for nothing else than the fact they are not Chinese. But Nissan is taking the piss here.

supernova2, Aug 7, 5:39pm
Realy . SCA have a Ryco spin on at $57.69

comsolve, Aug 7, 5:45pm
So, what is the difference? Both are 4-stroke multi-cylinder fuel injected engines.
I have a habit of buying the best (tidiest and lowest mileage) cars I can get for [what I can afford at the time] and then keeping them for awhile.

Say the Ryco is shite. How long will it take people to work it out? This is why I buy the best parts I can afford and are not made in China.

snoopy221, Aug 7, 5:48pm
Ya'll KNOW when ya fit and start it cold. LOL

Depends ENTIRELY on how good the anti drain back valve in the filter is and how much and how long it does the dreaded death rattle on start up to me

Edit Delete Quote
snoopy221 (431 431 positive feedback) 5:35 pm, Tue 7 Aug #67

comsolve, Aug 7, 5:50pm
At this point I am trying to work out what you are advocating. If it's buying a filter for $30 which is a brand name and not made in China, then we have no difference for debate.

snoopy221, Aug 7, 5:50pm
The exception here is a GENUINE Toyota oil filter SPECIFICALLY made by Toyota when they brought out the 2E engine as the filtration element is wound differently to ANY other oil filter

This is why I buy the best parts I can afford and are not made in China.

Edited by comsolve at 5:48 pm, Tue 7 Aug

comsolve (340 340 positive feedback) 5:45 pm, Tue 7 Aug #70

snoopy221, Aug 7, 5:52pm
Just being honest and telling ya when ya fit ya filter if ya hear it death rattle then get a BETTER filter.
price does NOT come in to THAT reality at all

comsolve, Aug 7, 5:55pm
I bought the car at 26k's and it's now done 35. At this point my agenda is - will the engine still run as well when it's done over 200?