Alternator, battery light on dash

bigfatmat1, Sep 20, 10:35am
was referring to brushes that clip in on the side

intrade, Sep 20, 10:39am
#11 ok this is why it matters so much to say exactly what year, make and model and engine and fueltipe the question is asked for.

toyboy3, Sep 20, 11:12am
And colour !

yz490, Sep 20, 12:05pm
it'll just be brushes. Bought some for about $20 ready to fit in my honda, no soldering. Talking alternators & their issues, on one of my other two [same cars] one has the oil light on & other has oil & battery light on [on dash]. If i swap alts over car to car the opposite happens [still with me?]. Both charge & don't have an oiling problem, don't discharge when stopped etc. Been going on for years but just ignore it but will bring check engine light on sometimes but flick ign off & on & fixes it without stopping as engine light limits the rpm, probably good way to stop the kids thrashing it lol.

kazbanz, Sep 20, 12:21pm
marte-mat pretty well covered it off for you but.
What is the year /make/model of your car?
What you describe based totally on your info points to worn out brushes but without seeing it who can be sure?

a.woodrow, Sep 20, 7:07pm
-

think 90's toyota camry

headcat, Sep 20, 8:08pm
What difference is there between a petrol and diesel alternator?

intrade, Sep 20, 8:48pm
diesel alternator often also contain a relative vacuum pump.
then a prius has no alternator it uses the high voltage battery to convert a charge via dc to dc converter to charge the 12 volt auxillary battery.
then there is smart alternators ford nissan bmw mid 2000 use them then there is free wheeling pulleys on altornators . the differences are emense if you dont know what car make model year its like asking if anyone has a cristal ball for a answer.

bigfatmat1, Sep 20, 8:56pm
only nz new as it uses a Bosch alt they brushes are contained within the regulator assy screwed onto back brushes are solder in. Also important to.note on this alternator is if brushes are worn slip ring needs to.be machined or replaced and machined otherwise brushes will break their leads or it will be worn through past it's serviceable limit. Brushes are not "clipped in" also as the regulator is such a weak.point you never just replace the brushes unless you want unreliable

bigfatmat1, Sep 20, 8:58pm
most newer diesels run a separate vacuums pump these days so there may be no.difference apart from fitment

marte, Sep 21, 3:31am
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Original-BOSCH-Alternator-Voltage-Regulator-AUDI-VW-FORD-SEAT-SKODA-/321765534130

I think this is the right set brushes for this alternator. Seen for $20 on aliexpress.

bigfatmat1, Sep 21, 7:54am
Do not remove battery lead while running. Check to make sure the big wire has power if it does remove and fix alternator

aredwood, Sep 21, 10:24pm
Some cars won't run without the battery connected even if the alternator is fine. If you get a loose battery terminal the car will then keep cutting out by itself. And yes some cars if you disconnect the battery the alternator will definitely put out way too much voltage and fry all the computers and the stereo.

marte, Sep 20, 1:08am
My battery light came on a few days ago while driving.
Then next time I started the car up it turned off once the engine was going.
Same the next day, then after several hours when i started the car it came on and stayed on.
It did that for several days.
Now it just stays on when the cars going.
The batterys goes flat and is charged by a battery charger now.
The light is not on when the cars turned off, only when its running.

Would it be brushes or the diode pack? Thanks.

strobo, Sep 20, 6:03am
Worn out is worn out .bearings the lot .It is more convenient to buy a new alternator.They are not as expensive as they use to be. assume for a petrol car?
Also Check the belt is not slipping

bigfatmat1, Sep 20, 8:06am
Reality is at this stage it doesn't matter what is wrong inside the alternator if it's at fault. What matters is making sure you get a accurate diagnosis making sure it's the alternator. Once that is assumed removal teardown and pricing up your options repair vs replacement. We don't know the car type so making assumptions like above could be costly

bigfatmat1, Sep 20, 8:10am
Al those parts you list a testable once off the vehicle stripped down and on the bench. No one can tell you what part is faulty on the internet while it's still on the car. Nor can they give you a price without knowing tupe of car or even more specific the number On the alt

andy61, Sep 20, 8:50am
More than likely its just the brushes, on many of the modern cars,you can replace the brushes without removing the alternator ,the brushes kind of clip onto the side of the alternator.

kevymtnz, Sep 20, 8:54am
recon the alt is about half the price, in most cases just needs new regulator

bigfatmat1, Sep 20, 8:59am
never seen this in my life

intrade, Sep 20, 9:02am
i actuarly have in my 1982 bluebird converted diesel i used to have early 90s it done that and the fix was the bri\ushes where worn solderd in new brushes and it was fixed .

intrade, Sep 20, 9:49am
the problem is what car if its a toyota prius then it has no alternator it uses a dcd to dc converter.
You really always should state what year make model and what engine .
the colour usually dont matters thats just a joke about the colour for people who have not realised that part.