Toyota blade or alternatives?

Page 2 / 3
gazzat22, Aug 28, 9:57am
My daughter has had a 2008 2.4 Blade for over 3 years .In that time apart from regular servicing with a proper oil/filter the only cost has been 2 new tyres.As has been previously stated the problem with oil usage is caused by irregular servicing with cheap oils and filters. I doubt you could find a more reliable car so I dont know where the Euro lover gets such statements from. !

cjohnw, Aug 28, 11:08am
I recently bought a brand new vehicle and were considering trading in the 2008 Toyota Blade 3.5 that my wife drives. However, on reflection we decided as it has been such a massively reliable vehicle over the last 5 years, still under 100k, we have decided to keep it for now. I don’t think we have owned many cars over the years that we have decided to do that. We had absolutely zero compulsion in keeping either of the two euro money-pits we have owned previously.

gazzat22, Aug 28, 11:37am
Could be the reason Euro,s are so cheap second hand.?

kazbanz, Aug 28, 4:52pm
Im sorry mate I have ZERO experience with the Fit Hybrid.
I quite like the Toyota Aqua hybrid I must admit.

kazbanz, Aug 28, 4:54pm
the main issue is US built 2AZ-FE engines.

phalanax, Aug 28, 10:10pm
The 3.5 Blade doesnt have sharp turning (probably to counter the extra weight and output of the engine) ,its not parking friendly. its more of a highway car and extra care is required when the roads are wet (front heavy)
If you get one make sure you always have plenty of tread on the tyres.

jmma, Aug 28, 10:24pm
How many kms on your one?

cjohnw, Aug 29, 5:46am
Why is it “not parking friendly”?
My wife has no problem parking hers - never, ever kerbed a rim, plus it has a reversing camera.
Do you have problems with yours?

stevo2, Aug 29, 6:05am

sw20, Aug 29, 7:37am
How long have you had yours ?

kazbanz, Aug 29, 9:33am
The question I was going to ask

thejazzpianoma, Aug 29, 10:31am
LOL so defensive, only owners are allowed to comment!

You only have to take one for a short drive to see their shortcomings. They are not a hot hatch, they are a local market hot rod. That's fine if you like that sort of thing, but for New Zealand conditions a proper hot hatch with actual handling abilities makes more sense in my opinion. Especially as you can have one of the very best in the segment for about the same money.

Only in NZ are people so indoctrinated to even suggest the Blade competes with proper hot hatches, let alone is the only sensible choice! lol

You lot are like extreme left wing radicals. No logical arguments so you just try to shut the conversation down.

richardmayes, Aug 29, 11:34am
We had a NZ New 1.8 litre Corolla of that generation at work, it started drinking oil at about 90,000km.

jmma, Aug 29, 1:17pm
No anybody can comment as you well know :oP

But with the comments that were made it would be nice to know if it was actual owner experience or just Mothers, Brothers Uncle stuff!

cjohnw, Aug 29, 2:07pm
Ok, for the sake of accuracy, please show where anyone tried to "shut the conversation down".

Or where anyone referred to the Toyota Blade as a "hot hatch".

Indoctrinated? Looked in a mirror lately?

gazzat22, Aug 29, 2:32pm
Does any company apart from European, in your opinion actually make what you would consider a "Hot" hatch.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 29, 2:57pm
That's a really good question and the answer is. ABSOLUTELY!

Sure the Europeans invented the segment but the Japanese took to it really well just like they single-handedly revived the convertible sportscar for the masses which was something very British.

The thing is, a "hot hatch" always has and always will be a hatchback that not only performs and handles right up there with proper sports cars but is also reasonably affordable and can function as a practical daily driver.

Remember the original Golf GTI was only a couple of seconds slower to 100km/h than the Ferrari Dino of the day.

So by that criteria, the Japanese produced a lot of fantastic hot hatches, especially in the 90's pretty much every major Japanese manufacturer had at least one back then.

Sadly though that segment has shrunk considerably now. Off hand the two key players that remain in terms of a hot hatch you can buy off the shelf NZ new are Subaru (WRX STI) and Honda (Civic Type R).

The segment is suffering a bit in Europe too, but the major players still mostly all have their hats in the ring.

What matters in NZ in the 10K mark though is that if you want a decent hot hatch that hasn't been thrashed or modded to death the Japanese options are not the be all and end all. Even for the OP who possibly doesn't even want a proper hot hatch, by their criteria the best option is not likely to be the Blade. which isn't a hot hatch anyway. At best the 3.5 is a GT car, but even that is pushing it really. It's a GT in the way a Cortina GT was one, not in the way an Alfa GTV is one, if that makes any sense.

Anyhow, I digress. I guess the point I am trying to make is that so many above have ignored the OP's criteria and are trying to make their favourite car fit where it isn't really the best for the purpose.

The Blade should be out on economy straight away, and the regular 1.8 isn't really what I would call a bastion of safety. There are actually limited Japanese offerings that really fit the bill properly and it's all a bit silly trying to pretend there is.

By the OP's criteria, they could be looking at all sorts of brilliant vehicles from Mercedes, Skoda, Audi, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen that would fit the criteria of safety and economy first far better than the blade ever will. I wouldn't be surprised if I could find a car better than the Blade for the OP for half their budget even if they look outside of the Toyota or Japanese box.

poppy62, Aug 29, 3:07pm
Just as, an aside 3 door hatches are being phased out in Europe that includes some jap and korean brands.

cjohnw, Aug 29, 3:25pm
The new Hyundai i30N

cjohnw, Aug 29, 3:31pm
Subaru WRX STI is no longer available in a hatch.

FAIL

thejazzpianoma, Aug 29, 3:39pm
Another one bites the dust then.
Although, for practical purposes, it near enough fits the spirit of the hot hatch idea.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 29, 3:40pm
Is it available yet?

cjohnw, Aug 29, 3:55pm
Available now in Australia. Delayed here due to launch of Kona EV.
Available in NZ in October

poppy62, Aug 29, 4:36pm
China! makes a hot hatch: In fact they're reaching new heights in the motoring world (as in the 2nd listing) who needs hot hatches

https://www.motoring.com.au/shanghai-auto-show-geely-unveils-chinas-first-hot-hatch-24572/ https://www.motoring.com.au/geely-moves-to-flying-cars-109829/

meow_mix, Aug 29, 5:36pm
I would certainly consider a Corolla with 280hp to be a hot hatch. Toyota likes to "doodle", they thought "What if we put the big V6 from the Camry/Aurion into the Corolla and call it the Blade?" In my opinion it is a hot hatch.