Toyota blade or alternatives?

Page 1 / 3
tigertim20, Aug 26, 1:32pm
still looking for a new car.
Its use is mostly around town, and does pretty low kms 50-80km a week.
Safety is important as its the car that carries the child around the most.

Have some interest on a 2007-2008 blade with the 2.4 engine, but two things are makng me cautious - 1) no ancap rating seems to be available so not sure how it stacks up safety wise, and 2) have read they have a tendency to use quite a lot of oil.

any feedback on these? or suggestions on alternative options?
needs are
Safety
not overly thirstly
4 doors

Prepared to spend around 10k

sw20, Aug 26, 2:10pm
If you are buying a Blade buy a 3.5 litre version. They are five star rated safety.

Otherwise buy the Auris/Corolla with the 1.8 litre engine.

tigertim20, Aug 26, 2:18pm
Ive had a look at the blade master with the 3.5 engine, but it doesnt look like it would offer much more than the standard blade with a 2.4?

a bigger engine isnt required with such small kms done each week, its 50-80 km a WEEK

will look into the benz as well

sw20, Aug 26, 2:31pm
You were concerned about the 2.4s oil use. To avoid that you buy the Blade Master.

Otherwise get an Auris or Corolla GLX with the 1.8.

dbest, Aug 26, 2:33pm
The Blade 2.4 are generally reliable but yes those 2AZ-FE engines have a tendency to burn oil. The 3.5 are very front heavy and more costly to run. I woudn't recommend to you unless you are doing more free way driving. Safety wise they would be comparable to a 5 star of its year, not today of-course because they don't have automatic emergency braking etc.

I would also recommend a high spec Auris with the 1.8 . They are good engines and the Auris has all the same 8 or so airbags and high spec trim,

No just NO to the Benz unless you don't mind costly servicing and after a few years throwing money into it. Maybe a different story if living in Europe where parts were cheaper.

bazfan, Aug 26, 2:40pm
Maybe Nissan Dualis with 6 airbags. Also consider Honda Jazz.

poppy62, Aug 26, 2:44pm
I'm with Gammelvind on the Mercedes B Class, excellent car.

poppy62, Aug 26, 2:47pm
No just NO to the Benz unless you don't mind costly servicing and after a few years throwing money into it. Maybe a different story if living in Europe where parts were cheaper. Quote
dbest (377 377 positive feedback) 2:33 pm, Sun 26 Aug #6

Rubbish! you obviously have no 1st hand knowledge of the Mercedes at all. If you don't know don't comment. One of the cheapest cars to service and parts are as cheap as anything else on the market.

gammelvind, Aug 26, 2:59pm
Sorry but with the plethora of used Japanese imports the initial price is tremendous value, and the parts prices thus far have been very reasonable through the sources outside of dealerships, plenty of new parts here on TM. Servicing has also been very reasonable and actually slightly cheaper than what my mother pays for her Corolla (same shape as the Blade). The reason I suggested the B170/B180 post 2008 is servicing has easy access and it is the facelift model, meaning any early bugs from the 2006/7 models have been ironed out.
Yes servicing can be very expensive at the dealerships but there are plenty of good quality MB qualified/experienced servicemen about.

sw20, Aug 26, 3:16pm
Actually they do.

tigertim20, Aug 26, 3:22pm
any positive or negative feedback on 2011-2013 Honda Fit Hybrids?

john1623, Aug 26, 3:30pm
A car is only as safe as the nut behind the wheel.

cjohnw, Aug 26, 3:55pm
Probably one of the best features the 3.5 Blade offers over the 2.4 is a conventional 5 speed auto gearbox as opposed to a cvt.

kazbanz, Aug 26, 4:07pm
tigertim-they should have a pretty darn good rating-but being a car not sold new in Au there aint one.--Logic though-Multi airbags and ABS using the same "stuff" as the Corolla/Aurus says its going to be a pretty darn safe car.

tigertim20, Aug 26, 6:01pm
thanks Kaz - do you have any feedback / experience on the other vehicle I mentioned, the 2011-201 fit hybrid? other half is quite keen on that

tigertim20, Aug 26, 6:02pm
should read 2011-2013

sw20, Aug 26, 7:46pm
Six speed.

lil_angel_kel, Aug 26, 10:14pm
I have a Toyota blade and I love it. And I haven't found it chews through the oil. It's got a lot of air bags for safety (can't remember actual number but remember thinking it was quite a few when I bought it). It's economical and a zippy little car (great pickup too). I have the 2.4.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 10:31pm
Another vote for the Mercedes, just so much more car than the Toyota it isn't funny. Go drive them both and see for yourself. We have had several similar era Mercedes and all have been faultless. Parts are also very reasonably priced.

I would also consider the Alfa Giulietta which is surprisingly economical, safe, has plenty of power and very low depreciation from the 10K mark. A lovely fun car both in town and country. Gives you the best of both with better economy than a 1.8 Corolla but performance you will need the 3.5 version to beat.

peanuts37, Aug 26, 11:48pm
Series 3 Honda Jazz safe as houses, economical, quick and very roomy.

ianab, Aug 27, 6:03pm
Love my Blade, but it's a 3.5 version. Probably a bit of overkill for a city commute. The safety rating seems OK according to ACC on the rego renewal, as I think they look at the Japanese standards, and it's got multi airbags / ABS / stability control etc. All the good stuff.

I see lots of 2.4 Blades on road, and none of them seem to be blowing smoke. So I'd say any potential oil use should be years in the future, and solved by checking the oil every month or so if needed.

The 2.4 Blade is basically an 'up-market" Corolla, Nicer interior, alloys and bigger rubber, slightly bigger engine etc.

The 3.5 is the slightly crazy version. :D

thejazzpianoma, Aug 27, 7:21pm
Oil use is not from wear so it's not necessarily an off in the future thing.

You won't see them blowing smoke on the road because modern cars have a catalytic converter which removes the smoke.

Incidentally, when it gets bad enough they will destroy that super expensive catalytic converter along with also very expensive oxygen sensors. You might thinkg, oh no big deal I will just take the cat out. but it will still eat O2 sensors and most likely fail it's next wof based on visible smoke laws.

Assuming stuff when making expensive decisions without understanding cause and effect is not a great idea.

The blade isn't even a particularly good car, it's only selling point is supposed reliability, which in the case of the 2.4 is a myth. So you may as well just choose one of the much better cars in the price bracket.

bazfan, Aug 27, 8:12pm
Jazz how does that explain the numerous Camrys and Rav4s on the road running the same 2AZ-FE engine? Is it engines built after a certain date?

vtecintegra, Aug 27, 8:20pm
No, it's also quiet and comfortable with a nice roomy interior. Which is what a lot of people are looking for in a car in that class.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 27, 11:39pm
Yes, 2006 to 2011 give or take I think are the affected years. Plus, it has to be the uprated version I think which means not all Toyota models are affected in that time span.

There is a ton of information on it on the net including videos showing the oil drain holes that cause it etc. Also there is a Toyota bulletin that will no doubt have the exact years and possibly even serial numbers affected.