If you drive a RV, caravan or truck slow down in

Page 3 / 3
henderson_guy, Sep 2, 8:14pm
Absolutely, but if you're not capable of doing at least 90 on a straight piece of motorway in perfect driving conditions, then you are not capable of being on the road at all. You may have all day to dawdle, but some of us are on the clock.

brouser3, Sep 2, 8:31pm
Most people undertaking an overtaking manoeuvre take a huge risk if staying to the legal limits. An overtaking lane basically only gives you a supposedly 'safe' distance of clear road in an area which you in reality can't physically see.

You need 2.4 km of clear road to now overtake
Rodney Hide does the calculations:
Overtaking on the road safely and within the law is now all but impossible.
The speed limit on the open road is 100km/h. The police are applying zero tolerance. You can now be ticketed at 101km/h. The speed limit for heavy vehicles and cars pulling caravans, boats or trailers is 90km/h.
Do the maths. In good driving conditions we are advised to apply the “two-second rule”. At 90km/h that’s 50m. So you pull out 50m behind a truck and trailer, the truck and trailer is 20m long and you pull in once safely 50m past. You have to make 120m to pass safely.
If the truck is doing 90km/h and you stick to 100km/h it takes 43 seconds to gain that 120m.
At 100km/h you will have travelled 1.2km. You must allow for a car coming towards you at 100km/h. To pass safely you need 2.4km of clear road.

lusty9, Sep 2, 8:40pm
I recall towing a caravan over the Napier/Taupo hills. Vehicles of sorts passed on the flats. I got to the long climbs and passed most of them with the caravan following steadily behind. Was a hard case actually. lol

daves, Sep 2, 8:43pm
So the speed limit, according to you is 90 km/h, is it? or isn't it. Make up your mind.

henderson_guy, Sep 2, 8:50pm
It's the heavy vehicle speed limit. Obviously.

2sheddies, Sep 2, 9:01pm
You were damn lucky to manage 90k in the fast lane. You generally spend a long time in the left lane passing all the wombles piddling along ast 70 in the fast lane.

johotech, Sep 2, 9:13pm
There's an easy way to keep everyone up to a decent speed.
Just put a "Passing Lane 400m" sign, every 500m. Then everyone will be doing 105k easy.

..james.., Sep 2, 9:57pm
Im shaking my head at all of this self entitlement and arrogance.If we all only had simple manners and consideration it would be so less stressful driving.The ending of passing lanes in New Zealand are well known for stupidity as well.

henderson_guy, Sep 3, 5:36am
Very true. Or else the ones that just HAVE to get in front of the truck (and then slow down again)

two9s, Sep 3, 7:51am
There must be different rules in Auckland then. I recently had the misfortune to travel to Auckland with a trailer. Sitting at the speed limit I was treated as a mobile chicane by virtually every heavy truck, truck and trailer combo and b train. whistling past me like I was standing still. Traffic enforcement agencies obviously have a focus on trafffic movement, rather than rules enforcement :( . Funny, I thought there was one rule from top to bottom of NZ?

marte, Sep 4, 6:20pm
Two truck & trailer units nose to tail with a line of traffic behind them.
Get to where's there's a passing lane & speed up to 100km/h in the left hand lane.

2sheddies, Sep 4, 6:40pm
Can't say I've seen that too often, but I will say that not too many things the truckies do annoys me, except one thing. Two trucks and a long line of cars heading toward an uphill passing lane, for example on the Kaimais. Get to the passing lanes and the munter in the rear truck pulls out and proceeds to pretty much pace the other one as it grinds slowly past at about 2km/h faster, creating a two lane mobile roadblock.

By the time he's finally gone past and got the hell outta the way, he's stuffed it for every single car because we're out of passing lane and stuck behind a truck again. As I say, not much annoys me wth regard to trucks, but that can be a bugger.

bill-robinson, Sep 4, 6:59pm
ohh, didums

2sheddies, Sep 4, 9:01pm
Don't try to tell me nothing pisses you off on the road.

marte, Oct 6, 6:42pm
What really peeved me of about that, was they were identical trucks, owned by the same firm.
Either they were just being p#icks, or tailgating to catch the wind draft.

If they were both going to the same place, it would make sense to have a time gap between them, so one could park before the other.
Nothing else I saw on that 600kms trip was remarkable at all.