Rover 75 gearbox issues

Page 2 / 3
thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 9:14pm
Edited above for you.
Are you really disputing that Jatco and Aisin are subsidiary's of Nissan and Toyota?

franc123, Jul 15, 9:20pm
No, asking why you are not capable of referring to these companies by their proper names and making an unneccesary association with Japanese parent companies. You are the only person I've ever heard that does it.

snoopy221, Jul 15, 9:20pm
Get it blardy RIGHT will ya not in crapola

So nissan and toyota?

Or which is a subsidiary of which please.
In your own words but as specific.

franc123, Jul 15, 9:21pm
He hates being questioned by the dirty fingernail brigade, you know that.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 9:23pm
I do it because idiots come along in situations like this (as you have done) and blame such breakages on the car being "European" or some nonsense. So it only seems fair to point out that the issue is actually with it's Japanese transmission. Given that in other threads the same bunch of idiots parade around how reliable Toyota and Nissan are it only makes sense to put some factual balance back in the conversation.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 9:26pm
Gidday Snoops!
Jatco is a Nissan subsidiary
Aisin is a Toyota subsidiary

Sorry it was unclear.

Jatco has gone down hill quite a lot in the last 20 years. It's them that build those awful short life CVT's you find in the Nissan Note, Wingroad, Tiida etc. Nissan gave them a public blasting a little while ago because they were ruining Nissans reliability figures. That's quite a big deal in Japan as public reprimands are still a serious matter of honour.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 9:28pm
It's more the dirty knuckle brigade that annoy me.

franc123, Jul 15, 9:30pm
Oh, so I'm now anti European despite suggesting IN THIS VERY THREAD that buying a Jag could be a better alternative, and having European Ford parts utilised in them is not a bad thing? Sorry you've lost me.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 9:31pm
I suppose you will harp on about the transmissions being the same again now, so we may as well deal with that too.

Generally speaking in these situations the transmission will be identical hence the same model number. However the software and sometimes valve body will be adapted to suit the application. If the transmission has a sump it may be altered to suit the vehicle size.

Given this is almost guaranteed to be a valve body issue it's all irrelevant at this point, but if it was the other way around it's more than likely you could swap everything bar the valve body which of course would be fine in such an instance. Common sense would say to check carefully first but it's generally the case.

As for it being cheaper if it's out of a Mondeo. unlikely.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 9:32pm
lllllllllll have some straws, it would seem you have almost run out of any to grasp.

People can read exactly what you posted in this thread and others.

esprit, Jul 15, 9:33pm
Was nothing to do with the cylinder head bolts. Sinking liners most usually, but also deck shuffle due to plastic dowels, casting porosity on the narrow firing ring, quench issues due to idiosyncratic thermostat positioning etc. Couple of minor issues that people often misdiagnose.

Once sorted they're reliable engines, Chinese Roewe N series is simply a K series with a couple of very minor differences.

Have ragged K series engines around pretty much every race track in the North Island for 14 years now, never had a head gasket issue.

snoopy221, Jul 15, 9:35pm
Gidday Snoops!
Jatco is a Nissan subsidiary
Aisin is a Toyota subsidiary

So we deduce in a ROVER thread that Toyota Aisin transmissions in toyotas are pretty damn robust and reliable and when designed for a specific toyota engine

And we deduce in a ROVER thread that nissan Jatco transmissions in nissans are pretty damn robust and reliable and when designed for a specific nissan engine

Alas we throw every other vehicle manufacturer in here and what?

End up with the common cracked piston (hairline stress crack probably due to crapola manufacturers engine gearbox mounting design)

Now do ya have a point?
Perhaps a diagnosis of the ACTUAL problem from the FIRST post-
OOPS Too Late me already done that AND provided contact details for undoubtably new zealand best transmission repair place.

mmmmmmmmmmmm

thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 9:35pm
Pretty sure I read somewhere that the KV6 liner issues was fixed just prior to introduction in the 75 for what it's worth. I think it was when the liners were put in by hand they could be inconsistent or some such.

snoopy221, Jul 15, 9:38pm
Funny thing when ya in auckland and as ya moit know ole giltraps and conti cars etc.
Have to have ALL their vehicles TAKEN to eastern autos
Why?

ZF etc only want the best people that THEY endorse

thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 9:40pm
I have no idea why the trolls bought up Aisin in this thread.

Jatco's transmissions are just as unreliable in their own applications as they are in anyone else's. Hence the Note, Tiida etc being about as short life in the transmission department as modern cars get (unless we include Chery but I don't really consider them cars).

Aisin are more sneaky, they limited Toyota to their archaic but more reliable 1980's tech 4 speed transmissions wherever possible. While selling their less reliable tech to other manufacturers.

snoopy221, Jul 15, 9:48pm
Leave trolls and cvt's outa this

And as to your post number 3
the transmission model number which is JF506E

They are not a brilliant transmission but are miles ahead of the absolute rubbish Jatco are now making.

Well the dirty fingernail brigade juss KNOW the J is a Nissan trans in a rover
without Jatco added

snoopy221, Jul 15, 9:53pm
Let alone standing in a prestigious dealership and watching brand new vehicles leaving the dealership on a tow truck to be taken to Eastern Autos for transmission servicing.
Alas

When the actual transmission MANUFACTURER
Decides the franchise is NOT WORTHY
Of touching their product and have not done the training to THEIR standard.
And will NOT have their reputation sullied

thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 9:59pm
That's the thing though, this thread is supposed to be for the benefit of the OP. I don't think they know it's a Jacto/Nissan hence my posting to help them find some information on it.

snoopy221, Jul 15, 10:03pm
Yip however as posted prior when badge engineering snaffs stuff together well
Misdiagnosis of the hairline stress crack in the piston causing the problem the op has is common

franc123, Jul 15, 11:18pm
You're not disagreeing with his diagnosis are you and daring to suggest that a particular fault code could represent more than one problem? You might be subject to an unprovoked attack like I just was.

dublo, Jul 16, 9:34am
esprit wrote:
Was nothing to do with the cylinder head bolts. Sinking liners most usually, but also deck shuffle due to plastic dowels, casting porosity on the narrow firing ring, quench issues due to idiosyncratic thermostat positioning etc. Couple of minor issues that people often misdiagnose.

Thanks for the explanation, Esprit. But a colleague's Rover 200 K-series engine had those bolts replaced by the agent at an early time in its life when the head gasket failed and that was what he was told. Given the other design faults you mention I would avoid anything with a K engine!

esprit, Jul 16, 11:13am
The bolts have to be replaced during head replacement as they're designed to stretch. For the 4 cylinder K at least it's not much of an issue in some cars, like the metro, but in other like the MGF and Freelander they give more issues because of the differences in the cooling systems and load of these cars.

For me, I think they're great cars as you can buy them cheap, repair them for a song and then they're reliable for years.

the-lada-dude, Jul 16, 12:29pm
Hello ESPRIT . sounds like you know your way around the ' K ' engine . short story long, . the Mk 2 lada engine will be using my nicely worked std intake valve cyl head, but as you know any chamber work means you start losing comp, i've gone from 8.5 to 7.4 CR, the only way to get it back is go to a flat top or raised dome piston, . ( and I know what your thinking but if you want an alloy head to last, don't do it ! and run the heads at 84 * c ) . I was going to use Fiat 125's but the more I look the worse it is, . old tech, poor pin position, heavy and dome will kill the overlap and flame front + I bet they'll start falling apart at 6000 . I came across some KV6 pistons perfect would just have to m/c o/d to suit to keep to 1600 cc ( ,012" )

I'm pretty sure the K pistons are the same ? although there seems to be P/Pin differences in the I4 cc range and also turbo . can you set me right here ?

& yes the rods need to be changed out for the 12 odd mm height diff, . only thing that comes very close is Chev 2.3 quad cam

snoopy221, Jul 16, 2:35pm
the lada dude
A lotta dooohinkies for 12 mill
Have you the deck height to consider stripping and decking the block?

elect70, Jul 16, 2:42pm
Im with Jazz on this why dump the car just over trans problem if rest is still good . go to proper trans repair &bet they take valve body off as its definat;y a conriol, problem .