Toyota Kluger 2.4 opinions from owners?

Page 1 / 2
chantilly, Aug 17, 1:30pm
We looked at fielder and avensis but in the end went with a xio. Feels much more solid on the road We keep track of our mileage.We are getting from 7 to 7.3 ltr per 100k. And that is mostly on winding rural roads

phalanax, Aug 17, 2:12pm
2gr-fe. v6. if you buy one make sure it has a metal oil line or get them to change the rubber one over to a metal line. its not an expensive part
https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/
Toyota still use this engine in many car models but they did change the oil line to all metal after a certain year.

phalanax, Aug 17, 2:31pm
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-camry-5th-6th-gen-2002-2006-2007-2011-2nd-gen-solara-2004-2008/911666-diy-2007-2011-2grfe-camry-rubber-metal-vvt-i-line-swap-w-pics.html
Some models you can change it without taking too much off . the new line is on the left in the image above step .14 .

bill1451, Aug 17, 7:09pm
Gunhand you had me for a while then, YES the 2.4 is crap yea right, funny that all the TAXI,s in chch run 2.4 motors, ask any cab driver. Myself have had a 2.4 Kluger with no issues for nearly 2 years now
and 10000 km, (have work vehicle so low ks in the kluger)

gunhand, Aug 17, 9:56pm
Old thread dredge lol, well lets see, how has my Camry failed since then, Ummmmm, think I scratched the bumper with me trailer (mutter mutter) but hardly the cars fault, Hmmmmm, Nothin at all it seems and it clicked over 200k couple months back and the motor is still as sweet as.
Oh, hang on I lie, just after I got it battery in key fob went flat.

dutch9, Aug 18, 9:38am
Had a 2006 .4 Camry for 8 years . Used 1 cup of oil between oil changes and was dead reliable . Was a hard used family/business car before I brought it . Use correct oil and filters .

ambo11, Nov 15, 5:11pm
Still trying to pick a car, really like the look of a car someone mentioned in my Camry thread, the Toyota Kluger 2.4 mid 2000s.
Any owners here?
Anything to look for, what are they like on gas, will be mainly open road driving, and are they a standard auto and not a CVT?
Like the fact they are high so easy access etc.
Cheers.

audi_s_ate, Nov 15, 5:17pm
No - get a highlander - the 2.4 suffers from oil inhalation issues when km get up - plus the 3.5 is just sooo much nicer to drive
Our highlander sits on 9.0l/100km open rd with roof box fully loaded.

ambo11, Nov 15, 5:26pm
Yeah I see your point, but I don't trust jap V6 engines much nowadays after having a couple blow headgaskets on me. and I'm very pedantic about servicing/cooling etc. would love the power and sound but don't want the hassle. Cheers though, your one sounds more economical than I'd expect, I thought the 2.4 would be 10-11l/ per 100km. Thanks.

audi_s_ate, Nov 15, 5:31pm
The 3.5 is a lot better than previous ones - plenty on here have well over 300km on them. It gets up to 12sih in town but not too bad considering - ours is the 2wd which helps.
Its not easy finding a nice largish wagon at a reasonable cost. The Cx-5's are nice but are quite a bit more pricey than a mid 00's kluger.
The 08+ accord euros are nice if you don't need to be too high.

sw20, Nov 15, 5:39pm
You will probably keep the hassle going if you buy a 2.4 (2AZ) Toyota.

If you want a four cylinder modern Toyota, get one with a 1zz-fe or 2zr-fe 1800cc.

Otherwise buy one with the 3.5 V6, the 2gr-fe. You won't be disappointed.

bwg11, Nov 16, 5:00pm
I'd go Highlander every time. As you say Toyota have made some average V6's, but the later Highlander V6 would be one of Toyotas best motors (after the 4-AGE of course). I don't think the fuel consumption between a 2.4 and the 3.5 V6 would be significant, if fact if a laden 2.4 was asked to keep up with a laden 3.5 on the open road I would expect very similar fuel use.

I've just done Invercargill to Christchurch in an FJ (same V6 but 4 litres) which returned exactly 10 litres/100 km. And the FJ is a brick to push through the air compared with a Highlander, so expecting the Highlander to do around 9 litres/100 on the open road would be quite realistic.

The Highlander also has a planetary auto and not CVT if that is important to you. Not sure of years but six speed from about 2012?, and 5 speed before that.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 16, 5:14pm
This.
It's strange Ambo, you seem to want to give everything away for reliability but they you keep gravitating towards a known lemon engine. I just don't follow the logic.

ambo11, Nov 16, 6:19pm
Jazz, they are not a lemon engine, just your hatred toward jap cars showing. The same hatred I have towards Euro rubbish. There are millions of these 2.4 engines running around, we have one in our Previa which has been 100% faultless. I appreciate you like to give advice, but frankly I'd never own a euro car, because I KNOW they are a giant turd waiting to hatch into all sorts of ongoing little, but expensive bills. My logic is simple really, I'm after a reliable car to cruise to work in with easy access. and Toyota will provide that. I'd be happy to have the V6 Highlander but I've set myself a $10K budget, and I am yet to be convinced a 3.5litre V6 will give the everyday economy a 2.4 will.

ambo11, Nov 16, 6:23pm
I'd be willing to consider other Jap vehicles with the ease of access the Kluger has, have considered a Honda CRV but even I'll admit their autos are weak rubbish, and the Rav 4 is grossly overpriced. But any other suggestions I'd look at, at my age I love the extra height, meaning easier access. Another vehicle I like, but have yet to see, is the Toyota Mark X Zio, but I'm fairly sure they will be the same height as the Odyssey I'll be ditching, which is okay. but if I can get something taller it would be a bonus.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 16, 6:26pm
What year is your Previa?

ambo11, Nov 16, 6:29pm

ambo11, Nov 16, 6:30pm
i mean 06 sorry

gunhand, Nov 16, 6:35pm
DO NOT BUY A 2.4 CAMRY or any other vehicle with same motor. Ive had mine almost 3 years and it has failed me miserably twice in that time, first was a blown headlight bulb just after I got, and wouldn't you know it, bloody blew another one this week. Freekin lemon. Wonder if CGA would let me reject it?

thejazzpianoma, Nov 16, 6:36pm
Wouldn't be surprised if your build date is just prior to the problem run which is something like 06 - 11, remember that is build date not registration date and I am not sure on exact start month/engine number. Would make sense if yours is not using oil.

Anyhow, good luck.

ema1, Nov 16, 7:25pm
Ha ha phew. sigh. gun it's called the jazz effect. all to predictable and like a disease, no no wrong. it is a disease mate.
Antidote = ignore it and it will all go away, just don't let it affect you, you'll survive intact just fine.
I have chucked the stuck record out ages ago, it appears the disease happens when the affected gets pricked with a dose of Euro verbal diarrhoea, not a hell of a lot you can do apart from taking above antidote !

gunhand, Nov 16, 7:35pm
I had a disease once many many years back. Doc fixed it pronto with a jab, just had to notify all involved, you know, just the usual problems one has.
Now many years later I own a Camry, Life is predictable and reliable, haven't need a doc in years.

ema1, Nov 16, 7:45pm
Yo gun . good to hear.
Toyota's have been my bag for some time too and my life has been predictable and reliable as well.
Had cars from most parts of the world and the ones I've had in recent times ( Toyota's.) have been pretty much bullet proof, plus worked on vehicles from pretty much all the world, with years doing that one does tend to get to know which ones are excellent and ones that aren't, like sorting the wheat from the chaff kind of. Good Eh. Wouldn't have it any other way . happy as a sand boy me !

slarty45, Nov 16, 8:04pm
If you too busy making lemonade all weekend, I can tinker with your Britten some other time. No worries.

gunhand, Nov 16, 8:10pm
Naa, all good, I will just top up the oil on both Toyota's while you work ya magic on my Britten.