Car options, family size plus power

Page 1 / 2
tigertim20, Aug 6, 11:14am
Considering options for a new (to me) car.
I quite like the bmw M5,older models, theres a few nice ones around Ive seen around 2005 - 2010 (E60 i think is the model).

Id like something like that or similar in term of size and power, needs to be a family sized sedan, and lots of power, be able to tow (small loads - light trailer with a bike on it)

What other alternatives are there in the size / power range of the E60, and under 35k?

martin11, Aug 6, 11:29am
Audi A6 quattro .

budgel, Aug 6, 11:50am
I have noticed that the E60 M5's are becoming affordable to purchase, but there are lots of horror stories out there regarding repair costs.

The F10 550i doesnt have quite the power, but is certainly no weakling in that department.

The Audi V8's possibly fit the requirement too.

I'm sure there are some Mercedes Benz V8's that may do what you want.

Towing a trailer with an M5 sounds like sacrilege to me!;-)

tigertim20, Aug 6, 11:52am
light trailer!

In an ideal world, Id have a 400-500 hp toy and a decent family /tow car, and a smaller runabout for her indoors, but I cant really stretch to three cars.

Anyone got other suggestions on specific models to go and research?

tsjcf, Aug 6, 1:58pm
What about a BMW X5

db.price, Aug 6, 3:18pm
Yes - Know of one on another thread going cheap - current owner wants to just push it off a cliff apparently - so you could get it for a song!

tigertim20, Aug 6, 6:32pm
x5 is a no for me, id prefer a sedan, SUV's arent my thing!

mgmad, Aug 6, 6:44pm
If it were me, I'd be looking at a Jag XFR.

countrypete, Aug 6, 6:56pm
Why has no-one suggested the obvious - Fiat Panda?

sw20, Aug 6, 7:02pm
Poor effort trolling. Every car being reco'd in this thread is Euro.

supern0va, Aug 6, 7:07pm
I have a 2011 Motorsport X5, turbo charged. Handles like a saloon even on twisties. Has 306hp stock but easily tweakable to around 400 for $1500 or so. 315 section tyres on the rear. Tows great, good boot space and I love the under floor storage in the boot too and is no slouch with an 8 speed. Aerodynamics are also pretty good for an SUV.

countrypete, Aug 6, 7:09pm
I know. It was a joke! Not even worthy of being labelled trolling.

meow_mix, Aug 6, 9:08pm
Apart from the usual suspects, BMW, Benz, etc which you might find are unreliable money pits, you might wish you'd bought something like a 2014 Subaru Legacy turbo which you could get for half the budget. Yes they are no 500hp machine but you could spend the saved cash on some subtle mods.

keith190, Aug 6, 9:30pm
Looks like fun shopping

rovercitroen, Aug 6, 9:32pm
Lexus LS430 or 460?

martin11, Aug 7, 7:23am
Not a good tow car !

tamarillo, Aug 7, 7:32am
Commodore SS, if you can last redline. If you really can HSV.
Used M5 with few years under its belt. emmmm lot of very sophisticated stuff to go expensive on you. Yes I'm a BMW fan but I'm weary of later but not new enough top end stuff of any make. Whereas Commodore is comparitively simple and fun.

tigertim20, Aug 7, 3:44pm
I could definitely be open to a wagon - just not an SUV.

Are Euros the only ones making family sized stuff in the 400+hp range? I thought commies were more like 300hp?

tamarillo, Aug 7, 4:22pm
SS Had 300 odd KW and HSV 400 KW plus, and there was a sport wagon which is great looking thing.

mgmad, Aug 7, 4:35pm
Why not?

meow_mix, Aug 7, 7:59pm
If you want to go fast it will cost you. Buying an old M5 that is near it's use by date could be very expensive in the long run. I agree with Tamarillo's suggestion - a fast Holden, many of them make over 300kW, which is 400hp. Add a nice exhaust and enjoy that lovely V8 sound. They are rugged, simple, local garages know them well, and won't cost as much to maintain as an M5.

martin11, Aug 8, 9:14am
Underneath the back there is alloy pans and they are not strong enough for a tow bar solid enough for anything heavy .

john1623, Aug 8, 11:08am
Toyota Aurion.

richardmayes, Aug 8, 1:05pm
Falcon G6E turbo? 270kW = 367hp, maybe not too far short of what you want? Would definitely satisfy the tow requirement!

sr2, Aug 8, 1:19pm
We have two V8 Mercs within that price range in our extended family, one is a AMG ML63 and the other is a C63. Both vehicles are stunningly good value for money (and a hell of a lot of fun to drive!).