Subaru Forester advice please

saki, Oct 3, 2:57pm
jeez why worry my old forester turbo has done 320000Km and gets serviced using 5w/30 doesnt use a drop leaks a little, and still the original engine and turbo, would I buy another, too right I would. but I would buy the model that doesnt have piston slap on cold mornings.

magrador, Sep 14, 10:35pm
I'm back into looking for a car: wagon or practical SUV after a break. Now looking at Foresters. Wikipedia says: "The 2014 and 2015 models . Engines during these year models do have an issue[clarification needed] with oil consumption, along with numerous other automotive manufactures at the time. Subaru has a lawsuit due to it; some experience over 1.5 quarts of oil consumed between change intervals with low-level dash lights coming on. Some speculation on this is the use of different style piston rings on the engine style change and synthetic oil.[according to whom?]"

Does this apply to all late-model Foresters? Are they to stay away from, or are some years/versions better than others?
Is there anything else that is tricky with them?

Also links to credible review site(s) for vehicles would be ap much appreciated.

laurelanne, Sep 15, 8:39am
Yes it does. My wifes Forester got to 80,000km then started drinking oil. When I contacted Wingers they ran an oil check and then put in a new short block. The issue is the bores warp. Later model blocks have more bracing, being an open deck block.

cattleshed, Sep 15, 1:45pm
Sounds bad! When did that start happening? I mean from what year forester / engine model /code and when did the modification come in?

tamarillo, Sep 15, 5:07pm
Seems that pretty much everything has a weak point and recalls, be interested to know how many foresters are affected. If you can find it wheels magazine november 2015 has comparison test with forester, Tucson, kuga, cx5. Subaru equal top points and well reviewed. Some library's get Aussie wheels.

bazfan, Sep 15, 8:08pm
Does this affect the Outbacks which have the same FB25 engine?

laurelanne, Sep 15, 10:27pm
It started suddenly, But the motor never ran as smooth as the XV it replaced. The new motor has over 30,000kms on it and runs smoother than before. The internet gives good info on this issue. Subaru NZ have treated customers far better than Subaru in America.

magrador, Sep 16, 12:32am
Thanks for your comments. Will stay away from those.

laurelanne, Sep 16, 6:14am
If you are buying from a Subaru dealer and the matter is discussed with them, you should get a decent warranty. It won't stop me from buying another one. I have a 2012 Aurion sitting in the shed gathering dust while the motor in the Subaru is never cold.

ema671, Sep 16, 9:15pm
My advice to stay away from any kind of Subaru.never man never

skull, Jan 3, 6:43pm
Looks like he's one of those dodgy dealers with no yard, lots of cars and apparently not In Trade and only here on the motoring boards to attract attention to his own listings by prompting us from time to time to "look at my list"