VTNZ and AA Vehicle Reports

gayle6, Oct 10, 3:17pm
I am looking at buying an imported vehicle costing around $13,000. It has had a VTNZ appraisal, which we have requested, but is it wise to also have an AA report done? I have seen another thread on this subject recommending using a mechanic but don't know any in Auckland as I am in Hawke's Bay. Thanks in anticipation.

intrade, Oct 10, 3:22pm
no AA reports are no better then when you ask a 5 year old to make a assesment you probably get a better test from a 5 year old in the end. Best to have somone who knows how to test stuff perform a test not morons like vtnz or the AA.
Where is this vehicle located?
in auckland you want only one guy you can contact him thru his website we are allowed to post links to reputable businesses
https://www.incarautomotive.co.nz/

nice_lady, Oct 10, 3:56pm
These reports are not that great and they also always include disclaimers to say "oh btw if we missed anything - too bad" .

gayle6, Oct 10, 4:47pm
Thanks intrade for that link.

kazbanz, Oct 13, 5:20pm
Gayle6- I'll second Intrades suggestion. BUT I'd also make some other suggestions.
If you don't "know" an Auckland mechanic then a franchise dealership of the brand you are concidering is a reasonable bet for an inspection.
I find Car Inspection Services to be a competent option.
BUT if the vehicle is a fresh import then before all that I would be asking for a copy of the Auction sheet and Vehicle COMPLIANCE inspection.
They will paint a picture of the vehicles condition before it was "tarted up" (and cost you no money)

marmar1, Oct 14, 2:37pm
Just used incar automotive, done a very thorough inspection, would definitely recommend him.

mber2, Dec 24, 12:10pm
Good god you actually reccommend someone other than yourself