Importing heavy vehicle

eleni01, Jul 15, 10:37pm
Could anyone familiar with importing and the regulations offer some advice,

I’m currently working in Oz and am looking to buy a Ute & bring back to nz in the next 24 months or so.
Have been looking at the 02-05 F250 with the 7.3 diesel which were imported and sold in Aus and NZ by ford back in the day. In nz these are classed as a medium good vehicle as gvm is over 3.5t.
Will this have to meet emission standards (and fail?) or will it be ok because they were sold here new and/or I’ve owned it for over 12-18 months before importing it.
The info on nzta website doesn’t make it so clear.

Also, do they allow a vehicle to be imported with used belongings in the back of it, specifically a Ute with integrated tool boxes with tools inside on the tray?

If the F250 idea falls through that leaves a v8 cruiser as next best option but these are the most over priced vehicles on the market!

TIA.

supernova2, Jul 15, 10:46pm
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/i-and-c/exhaust/exhaust-emissions#ud table 11-2-3 Does it meet those? Plod your way through this and it should tell you whats what.
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/

As far as the tools go I have no idea but I think from a security point of view alone I'd be crating them up and shipping them with your personal possessions.
Have you checked what sort of import/customs fees you might be up for in all of this?https://www.customs.govt.-
nz/personal/move-to-nz-permane-
ntly/

mrcat1, Jul 15, 11:14pm
Is it left or Right hand drive?
A F250 is classed as a heavy vehicle in NZ, not a car like in Oz.

supernova2, Jul 15, 11:38pm
Left hook would stuff the deal completely i think.
Bit more info here
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/step-2-evidence/used-vehicles-from-australia/

eleni01, Jul 16, 2:15am
Thanks for the links. The last link was one I haven't seen and it appears there will be less drama importing something as a returning resident.
I work fly in fly out so I live out of a suit case so pretty much all of my belongings in Oz are tools. I sent a pallet of tools home a couple of years ago and the cost was nearly as much as a car on a roll on roll off ex Melbourne.
If I went ahead and imported a ute with boxes on the back I'll probably weld them up so they can't be opened.

eleni01, Jul 16, 2:17am
Right hand drive. The same model that Ford Aus & NZ sold new out of the dealerships back in 01-05ish.
The fact it is a heavy vehicle made me think it may not be possible to register in nz. Off the top of my head pre emissions heavy trucks can't be, so non acert C15 and pre EGR ISX etc are a no goer.

kimbo88, Jul 16, 8:15am
If you import a vehicle with say tools or whatever in it, be aware that they are not covered by insurance, if you wished to have any you would have to buy that separately for those items. Also, anything other than the vehicle is assessed as another item or items as far as Customs, GST etc is concerned - and it's done on a per item basis. So yes you can do it, but do be aware of the caveats surrounding this, and thefts are common.

supernova2, Jul 16, 9:25am
And I'm fairly sure that if you weld the tool boxes shut that Customs won't be happy. They will probably open them with great force and any damage they cause in the process is just tuff luck for you.
Has your truck got the right ADR plate fitted as set out by NZTA? If so you should be ok getting it on the road in NZ as long as it passes the entry certification process. Must be a link somewhere to who can do heavy vehicles. I'd see if you can track down the right outfit and have a chat before you put the truck on the boat. NZTA must have a list - give them a ring - +64 6 953 6200

mrcat1, Jul 16, 9:53am
I think being classed as a heavy will be more of a headache.
It doesn't matter that they were sold here new, it's whether they will let it in now with emissions and possibly impact points rule changes.
Best bet would be to ring NZTA but be prepared for a wait, maybe ring a VTNZ heavy vehicle testing station close to where your coming in and see what they say.

cheviot, Nov 21, 9:15pm
Check the emissions requirement. I brought two KWs with C15s in that didn't meet euro 4. The engines only missed out by one month. I had to fit a compliant C15 accert engine to get them vinned. This also needed an lt400. After the first one was vinned I swapped the engines back to the original C15 along with more lt400s. Still cheaper than buying second hand here.