Dealer - Full payment when collect car?

billyfieldman, Jul 27, 3:12pm
Just put a deposit on a car at a car yard. Is it reasonable to pay the rest at the time I collect the car?

When I bought my last car about 6 years back, the dealer was alright with that. He did the registration and WOF with only the deposit and sales agreement. He even called me to let me know the rego so I could arrange insurance. I paid in full when I collect the car.

But the current dealer wants full payment after PPI, before he would register the car.

Which is the norm?

john1623, Jul 27, 3:25pm
Just bought a car on deposit.Paid balance on collection.All ready to go when I arrived.

toyboy3, Jul 27, 3:36pm
Do what you agreed to when signing the agreement

sw20, Jul 27, 5:20pm
Maybe he has seen some of your threads and is treading with caution?

kazbanz, Jul 27, 7:38pm
What did you agree to at the time you signed the VOSA and CIN Card.--conditional to PP inspection?
I can't speak for other dealers but "a dealer in west Auckland"
Takes a decent holding deposit.-At least $500
conditional to PP inspection in this case.
makes it clear no rego/new wof until the buyer has given the go ahead--ie is satisfied with the vehicle.
Then the rego/wof is done.
Payment in full is before the car leaves the dealership.
some people prefer to pay a bit in advance-some eftpos on site,some internet transfer ion site,some cash or bank cheque.
But DEFINITELY they are never never insistent on full payment before registration is done.

THAT suggests to me that the dealer doesn't actually own the car. Either there is some finance security over it or its OBO or he hasn't paid for it in japan yet.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 8:15pm
Smells dubious to me.
Is this a used import?
If you don't mind telling us, how much was the deposit?
With regards to Kaz's post, I tend to agree, sounds like the dealer is operating on very weak cashflow. I would be cautious about dealing with them (especially if they havn't been around long) as that's not a good sign in terms of potential longevity of their business and your ability to cliam under the CGA down the track.

billyfieldman, Jul 27, 10:46pm
Yes, subject to PPI.
Dealer would provide 12 months WOF and 6 months rego.
Deposit $500.

VOSA and CIN did not say at which stage balance should be paid.

billyfieldman, Jul 27, 10:48pm
Yes it is a used import. $500 deposit.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 27, 10:53pm
I would at minimum do a bit of research on the dealer before proceeding. I don't like the sound of this at all.

Check for disputes tribunal hearings and company office details for anything fishy. Probably though I would just bail and buy one somewhere else.

billyfieldman, Jul 27, 10:56pm
Good idea. I'll do a search of the tribunal.

phillip.weston, Jul 28, 6:17am
Is the car actually physically in the yard?

curlcrown, Jul 28, 7:48am
Here is a solution that would suit you and the dealer. After the PPI and if you agree to purchase the car make a time to pick up, or let the dealer contact you when the car is ready for pick up, but not yet registered, go in and finish all paperwork and make final payment, as you are doing that they can register the car, it doesn't take long to do.

billyfieldman, Jul 28, 1:42pm
Yes. Took it for a drive before putting deposit.

kazbanz, Jul 28, 1:51pm
But what did you agree to when you signed the VOSA?
In fairness to the dealer if you did say-"yep no problem" then that's the agreement you have with them.
The time to be concerned was right there/then.
It does still ring VERY loud alarm bells with me if they are genuinely insistent on payment in advance of delivery.
On a side note-a FRESH Import can ONLY be registered for 6 or 12 months and a car supplied by a dealer MUST have a less that "1 month" old WOF so they aint giving you anything they aren't legally obligated or forced to do,.

billyfieldman, Jul 28, 1:59pm
Just spoke to dealer. Willing to accept this.

billyfieldman, Jul 28, 2:16pm
That wasn't brought up during that stage. After I've made arrangements for PPI, I asked how long after successful PPI will he be able to give me registration so I can organize insurance. That's when he said as soon as I paid the balance, he would be able to register the car for me.

kazbanz, Jul 28, 2:23pm
Did he give an explaination as to why.?
I would suggest doing a security check on the VIN number.

elect70, Jul 28, 2:32pm
Dont do it , if he goes bust his finance co will seize all cars on the lot & then youd have to fight for return of deposit . . Pay in full at purchase time . & pick up once reg & wofed

curlcrown, Jul 28, 2:35pm
Seems reasonable.

kazbanz, Jul 28, 4:56pm
BUT that doesn't give him the chance to see if a security has been banged on the car until money changes hands.
I still want to know WHY they want to see payment in full before they rego a car.

billyfieldman, Jul 30, 11:10am
He said he had a bad experience before and explained that I'ld get a receipt so there's no risk for me.

Do I still need to do security check if the CIN says NIL under security interest?

kazbanz, Jul 30, 1:40pm
Sorry but tough titties for him, That part of being a car dealer.
He is expecting YOU to take the risk instead.

kazbanz, Jul 30, 1:45pm
You are kidding me right?
Id say without hesitation you should DEFINITELY do a security check on the vehicle.
Sorry Billy something smells fishy to me

billyfieldman, Nov 6, 12:12pm
Just an update. Did a PPSR check no problem. PPI minor issues which dealer fixed. Paid and got my car. Thanks all for the suggestions and advice.