Advice on putting 91 into 95 octane cars

Page 1 / 2
rsr72, Sep 21, 12:36pm

intrade, Sep 21, 12:49pm
that article is pritty good apart from the fact that they dont mention there is no car who can actuarlly run good on 91 octane fuel. as only 3th world countrys have 91 octane . but hey you cant say that if you are a seller of crap 3th world fuel.

poppy62, Sep 21, 12:52pm
The simple answer is if you had no other choice then it has to be 91. Although not the best choice it wouldn't cause any issues with short term usage. (this is my opinion).

intrade, Sep 21, 12:52pm
Difference between RON, MON, and AKI
Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON
USA uses mon, count 8 up from there lowest you get 95 ron minimum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

kazbanz, Sep 21, 1:20pm
Best bet is to ride your bicycle to avoid damage to your car ;-)
Being serious short term its unlikely to cause issues especially if you are filling when the tank is still half full of 98

tfc3, Sep 21, 1:25pm
I dont believe that. My car was 6 months old when I purchasde it in 2015 and the hand book stated 91 octane.

intrade, Sep 21, 1:33pm
be interesting to know what car make model and a immage of your page of your handbook.

intrade, Sep 21, 1:35pm
my 2004 astra has a sticker under the bonnet from the australians who states it can run 91. they forgot to write on the sticker that its probably going to damage the engine that fact they left conviniently off the sticker.
No surprises there aussies shel be right mate. Boooom.
i did run it on 91 and its horrific how it runs you have to push the pedal fully to the floor it idles like a pigs breakfast and i only got 320km out of a whole tank.
i had 98 in it and made over 500km i currently hav 95 in there to see if i get over 500k . half a tank 300km reading on odometer so far.

slarty45, Sep 21, 1:37pm
My car is 6 months old
Manufacturers website states "Fuel type 91–98"
Have run it on 91 & 95. Works perfect on both.

intrade, Sep 21, 1:40pm
of corse it works perfect untill its broken down.
I dont think that you would notice that it dont runs right when your not a automotive technition.
i have a video on my 95 corolla how it retards the timing and pings on 91 when you stab the throttle. each time it pings its like whacking the bigend bearing with a hammer.

mber2, Sep 21, 1:41pm
never heard so much crap in all my life from someone who claims to be a good mechanic. I have always run my cars on 91 and never had any problems also 90% of modern cars will run on 91 They state use unleaded which is 91.

mber2, Sep 21, 1:42pm
That means your timing is not set right so fix it properly.

intrade, Sep 21, 1:43pm
why do you think these astra opel holden have such a bad name there is nothing wrong with these cars they are as reliable as a 2010 toyota and cost loads less then a toyota to service oil filter geniuenfor the astra from manuakau devie motors holden 10.80$ geniuen toyota for a corolla i paid 32$ .

mber2, Sep 21, 1:44pm
then run it on 91

intrade, Sep 21, 1:45pm
buddy timing is automatic on modern cars with coil on plug and cam and crank sensors.
i did try and tune that toyota for 91 cant be done it still pings . look at wikipedia only 3th world has 91 ron.

slarty45, Sep 21, 1:45pm
No need for you to feel threatened by me as I am long retired.
Weekly wage when I started my apprenticeship was $26. Think it through.

Feel free to contact Suzuki and inform to to change the fuel specs.

PMSL

socram, Sep 21, 1:50pm
Just put a few litres of 98 to mix with the 91 if you are worried. Modern cars as I understand it, adjust the timing to suit the fuel or is than an urban myth?

Just go easy on the right foot.

intrade, Sep 21, 2:02pm
they do adjust the timing as much as they can . power is made at optimal timing . like my holden astra but there is only so much timing can be permanent retarded.
other cars have a knock sensor who retards the timing after the fact. So when the hammer hits the conrod and gudgeon pins it retards the timing -10 degree from the base time= almost no power is extracted from the fuel during thet retard time . then it brings it back to base time and if it knocks again it retards . over and over . resulting in poor to extreem poor fuel economy. and over verry long time engine damage .
once you have play in a bearing gudgeon pin then the piston is late to reach tdc and more pinging occures . carbon buildup is a other result from this and then carburettor engines would diesel run after on that carbon who self ignites called dieseling .
fuel injected dont do this as computer cut fuel on injector masking the problem.

intrade, Sep 21, 2:11pm
Just go easy on the right foot.

socram (370 370 positive feedback) 1:50 pm, Thu 21 Sep #17

that is good advise take off slowly dont stab the throttle raise rpm slow reduces the risk of pinging and avoid heavy loads use lower gear and higher rpm dont labour the engine on 91

oldboyjohn, Sep 21, 2:55pm
91 may be unleaded, but so are the others. Just because it says use unleaded don't assume its 91.

nzmax, Sep 21, 7:04pm
So how do you explain a lot of early 90's fuel injected, computer managed engined cars having to use unleaded fuel, which until around 1997/98 the only unleaded fuel available was 91. Those cars had no other option but to use 91 for the first 5, 6 or 7 or so years of the cars life, and many did high mileages in those years solely running on 91. Would have been a huge number of documented major warranty claims for engine damage if 91 was such a 3rd world fuel, and I dont think the composition of 91 would have changed that much in the last 18 or so years since premium became unleaded.

intrade, Sep 21, 7:46pm
re 21 i explained it now more then once they can not run on it they can only struggle on it just like toyota owner who never service there cars because thats for european crap only . same reason why these toyota made it that far. you can not service a car never change the oil and pretend its not needed . but in reality it cant.
also i recon some of that 91 crap is definetly not eaven 91 Ron if you would test it. as where in the 90s it probably was 92 or higher

john1623, Sep 21, 7:49pm
Most handbooks state unleaded of at least 91.

woodypc, Sep 21, 7:51pm
There is regular testing done on NZ fuel quality and luckily it always comes back good.

poppajn, Sep 21, 8:04pm
My 2016 Swift states the same, say's that if any other Octane is used the warrenty is void.