Advice on putting 91 into 95 octane cars

Page 2 / 2
woodypc, Sep 21, 8:09pm
It is totally dependant on the design of the engine, they are designed to run on a certain octane level. For instance, the engine in my Diamante doesn't have a knock sensor and doesn't change the timing it can't take advantage of a higher octane.

gunhand, Sep 21, 8:11pm
Ive always put 91 in all my cars and motorcycles. Some cars were as old as 60s and 70s models and many differing years since, we now have to modernish cars and they run on 91, one has 200k on it (almost) other has 100k it. Owned them both for some time (years) and used every day, oddly neither have exploded, imploded or any other kind of ploded. Both run as quite as and have givin zero grief.

tamarillo, Sep 21, 8:15pm
Aussie market cars are often slightly lower tuned than same things elsewhere. I believe that mostly we get Aus market cars, so if it says 91 I'd believe it. This won't aplly to jap imports if course.

ianab, Sep 21, 8:54pm
Article is correct that most cars in NZ are designed to run on 91, and there is no advantage to running a higher octane. The compression ratio and timing is such that it won't detonate on regular, and super doesn't inherently contain any more power.

Now some modern performance cars are able to make use of the higher octane, but can use the knock sensor to "de-tune" the engine so it can run "safely" on lower octane. But you loose some power and economy, more than you save with the cheaper petrol.

Then there are cars like my old JDM Corolla, with an 11:1 compression, and a pretty basic computer. It could knock on 95 if you floored it at low revs. NO WAY it would have been happy on 91.

But the differences in fuel ratings around the world likely accounts for the folks that say their car "recommends regular", but runs slightly better on 95. It's actually de-tuning itself slightly to run on NZ regular grade.

ignition328, Sep 21, 10:10pm
My corolla runs fine on 91. Here's a photo of it running on 91, take note of the kms

https://puu.sh/xF8FA/fa8df1e44f.jpg

That's not to say every motor is the same but some of your blatantly misinformed exaggerated and wrong posts bother me. If we're going to dick wave credentials I can quite correctly label myself a rocket scientist so I'm going to have to invalidate your opinion based on my title, sorry about that but it's the internet and I can do that. Ta bro.

peanuts37, Sep 21, 10:47pm
My 2015 Honda manual states minimum 91 so guess 95/98 OK as I read it.

nzmax, Sep 22, 12:01am
Your logic doesn't make sense. From my understanding the fuel sold at the pump MUST be at least the octane rating it states, with regulations and safeguards for consumers in place as with any manufacturers product. If 91 is such rubbish as you say, why do we not see hundreds of cars, where 91 is a recommended fuel, littering the side of the road with fuel related engine damage from using it. It simply does not happen. Instead we see cars that have done 300, 400 and 500,000+ km still in use. My current 2003 A33 Nissan Maxima certainly doesn't "struggle" on 91. The NZ printed warranty/service booklet says 91 is a recommended fuel. I find it hard to believe Nissan would sell a car in NZ then recommend a fuel that would damage the engine. Would end up being rather costly for them.

rsr72, Sep 22, 9:19am
Informative description of fuel types with some limited similarity to NZ .

http://tecosol.de/en/overview-of-fuel-types/

esky-tastic, Sep 23, 3:19am
ALL pump petrol is unleaded!

Why people still cal it unleaded to indicate 91 is a mystery to me.

trouser, Sep 23, 9:23am
mostly because they are still stuck in the 90s

extrayda, Sep 23, 9:55am
I run everything on 95, had found that I do get more k's per tank out of 95 on both cars, so ultimately I think the cost was similar.
Tried 98, and no real benefit over 95, so not worth bothering with.
2.4 Estimas, not exactly race cars :-)
I'm sure most people run them on 91, but I am happy with 95.

extrayda, Sep 23, 9:56am
If I had to use 91 for a week or so, I'm sure it would be fine (especially if half tank of 95 being added to). If I had something that said 95 minimum then I would put 98 in it rather than 91.

rovercitroen, Sep 23, 10:49am
Our 2003 NZ new (and owned from new) A33 Maxima didn't like 91. It pinked a bit especially when cold. Anything less than half a tank of 91 was OK. used to run it on 95 and got better fuel economy anyway.

gsimpson, Sep 23, 11:39am
One could just read the article. It sums it up accurately.

nzmax, Sep 23, 12:25pm
I find that interesting. This is my 2nd A33 Maxima, and 6th Maxima overall. Have run them all on 91 as per the handbook/warranty booklet recommendations, and have had no pinking or other issues. I owned 4 of them during a time I was doing a daily 110km open road round trip commute and tested them all of over a month long period using 91 and 95/96 with no difference in performance, economy or power between them. The current A33, and previous A32 were both tested on various trips away and again returned the same economy, performance and power on both fuels.

artemishka, Sep 24, 12:21pm
My fuel gauge stops working if I use 91.

mimik3, Sep 24, 6:17pm
No no no. Most of this post is utter garbage.

kam04, Sep 25, 10:40am
Just for curiosity, what do people run motor bikes on.

intrade, Sep 25, 10:51am
Based on what the training classes you never took.
people who dont point out what and why something is incorrect with actuarl proof are just dope smoking morons.
another True fact.
Ps i dont smoke i dont drink i have been to training classes at aecs , bosch germany and atsg Uk and no i dont make this up my posts are based on actuarl true facts. not from the effect of weed.

mimik3, Sep 25, 11:17am
My training far exceeds anything you have watched on youtube.
We have been there before and I shot the shite out of one of your half assed posts.

intrade, Sep 25, 11:30am
lol big credentials throwing abouts with 0 factuarl proof Non of the training i quoted in post 44 is on youtube. You remind me of a troll on the shroedingers box youtube channel however .
if we want to refere to youtube .
i wonder if your one of these trolls from his channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU-uiI_FS4

esky-tastic, Sep 25, 12:58pm
That's surprising, most vehicle I've had seem to pink when hot, when cold it was t an issue.

rovercitroen, Sep 26, 9:18pm
Same. But not in the case of our Maxima.

db.price, Jan 9, 8:45am
Shame you didn't attend an English class or 2. Your posts sometimes boarder on the incoherent.