Begs the Question how useless is a C.O.F

Page 1 / 3
intrade, Dec 17, 1:26pm

supernova2, Dec 17, 1:39pm
Better question is how useless are the steerers who drive these unsafe vehicles?

martin11, Dec 17, 1:41pm
Depends on how many kms done since tha latest inspections ,yopu are just jumping the gun like Trump with no facts to back up your claim .

intrade, Dec 17, 1:58pm
as far as i know these trucks drive in auckland , non of the pigs stopped them there. as i said they are like cokroaches in whangarei.
also cof is every 6 month if i am not mistaken.

franc123, Dec 17, 2:05pm
Begs the question how useless are the monkey steerers and their tightwad bosses who dont want to know about expenses more like. It is and always has been the responsibility of the owner operator to maintain the safety of their gear in between COF's. If the driver isnt capable of doing shutdown or pre trip checks and checking tyres, lights and brakes, a fluid level check, draining the air tanks etc they should not be doing that job. Everything is always everyone elses fault in this place

franc123, Dec 17, 2:07pm
You do realise some rigs can do well in excess of 100,000km in that time don't you?

intrade, Dec 17, 2:18pm
6 month 5 day a week times 4 ìs 20 days times 6 120 day times 8h is 960h top speeddc is 90km per h is 86400 so no i highly doubt what you say poster 6 is anywhere near accurate. as you can impossible drive 90kph 8h a day.
What i did read is premature wear blamed on roads , however i do wonder if it is not to do with corner cutting aftermarket components.
if they really did correctly pass the cof

intrade, Dec 17, 2:22pm
to be fair brake issues are dangerous on the brendyrven that shuld have had a tunnel drilled thru it since a long time instead of wasting god knows how many millions for a halfarsed upgrade.

franc123, Dec 17, 2:40pm
I see your Welsh is even more pathetic than your English, the word is BRYNDERWYN. You really need to stop drivelling on about industries you know nothing about, trucks are not necessarily driven 8hrs a day only 5 days a week lol.

harm_less, Dec 17, 2:50pm
Absolutely! Many line-haul trucks are driven near 24/7 by use of multiple drivers. Their engines literally don't fall below operating temperature for weeks on end. Good for the engine but routine maintenance definitely needs to be up to the task.

msigg, Dec 17, 3:08pm
For trucks, if the wheels are not turning they are not making money. Every km is money so mutiple drivers 24/7. Buy a new truck every 10 years

tony9, Dec 17, 3:18pm
For line haul, calculate 20-22 hours a day, 6 and a half days a week.

The route the OP is talking about, maybe 75% of that.

Bear in mind that every proper commercial truck equals 2-3 drivers.

Surprised at your calculation, thought you knew the industry.

kazbanz, Dec 17, 3:29pm
Actually this is IMO a case of click bait reporting.
To quote-- "The single-biggest problem was lighting faults"
For gosh sakes I reckon you would have to be able to walk on water if you have never driven a vehicle with a light or two out. Bulbs blow all the time .

kazbanz, Dec 17, 4:17pm
sorry--timed out--Im NOT for a second discounting the more serious faults found on some trailers . Including a blown air brake hose and Im not thinking MAJOR lighting issues. I'm just talking a missing reflector or a blown bulb or two.

curlcrown, Dec 17, 4:18pm
"Police inspected 534 vehicles, and 96 of them failed the inspections."

Or is it almost 1 in 5 as the headline says?

The media in this counrty need to be held to account for the BS and misleading information they spread. If a registered Motor Trader bechaved in such a way he'd be prosictued and made to compensate the buyer. We are not allowed to misslead even if we make a mistake.

ebygum1, Dec 17, 4:30pm
In the full report it states that most of the defects were on single vehicle ownership trucks.i.e. owner drivers.

supernova2, Dec 17, 7:03pm
Its not in that story but somewhere I read there were a number of log book problems as well.
If they were owner driver rigs then there is even less of an excuse for faults.

joanie04, Dec 17, 7:50pm
Some of the drivers I saw interviewed on TV appeared to be surprised there was something actually wrong with their vehicles.

tweake, Dec 17, 8:08pm
the big concern was the (afaik) 11 trucks they took off the road due to the faults.

cattleshed, Dec 17, 8:13pm
It isn't the COF that is useless. How would it be? Roadworthiness would be at an all time high if all people took a useful approach!

alowishes, Dec 17, 8:30pm
Nicely put!

alowishes, Dec 17, 8:33pm
He probably didn’t.

intrade, Dec 17, 9:44pm
re 14 yes and i made sure i write it so do get a response. a bit like comedian cadogan that you hate. i recommend you do watch him he has 70% usefull information. basic rule of thumb with cadogen if a manufacurer honors the cga he praises the make of cars . if not it gets bashed lol. And he only does do talk new car dealerships he dont talks secoundhand. Plus he likes to be hated thats his point he said once . a bit like this thread .

ronaldo8, Dec 17, 9:46pm
None of this bollocks begs any questions. It asks the question, it raises questions maybe, it may even suggest questions, but it doesn't beg them.

Halfwits using phrases they don't even understand the meaning of, that's a thing that asks the question, are they completely ignorant?

s_nz, Dec 17, 10:03pm
Single biggest issue was lighting faults. Unless the something had failed on route, these are issues that should be picked up in a start of shift vehicle inspection (If an employer required and provided time for the driver to conduct one).

Pritty hard to pin blown bulbs and weak trailer plug in connections on the COF inspectors, unless you could prove they weren't working at the time of the inspection.