Toyota Doomed

Page 1 / 2
tony9, Jan 20, 5:09pm
Because they don't understand the car market by not doing pure EVs. Or so some say.

The market says otherwise.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/123998808/the-best-selling-car-in-nearly-every-country

cjohnw, Jan 20, 6:45pm
You are hoping people die of Covid?
That says a lot about you then.

intrade, Jan 20, 6:54pm
i dont hope for anything , i said with any luck they are all dead the knotheads and oxygen thives.
Thats you making fake news about something i never said .

cjohnw, Jan 20, 7:00pm
Edited.

sw20, Jan 20, 7:02pm
The late 90s RAV4 was a good EV. Better than the Nissan Leaf IMO and Toyota did it nearly 15 years before Nissan.

intrade, Jan 20, 7:02pm
yea because you twist a no in to a yes i had to edit it to make it more clear .
also almost any post i post on here is edited because i see mistakes that i correct. as i write a post in like 10 seconds

intrade, Jan 20, 7:06pm
watch who killed the electric car and learn something. Yall

m16d, Jan 20, 7:14pm

bwg11, Jan 20, 8:03pm
Well, I'll be one of the last to go "pure EV" and will stay with an IC (hybrid or not). Why would I go EV? I do under 10k per year, but often up to 200km same day trips, occassionally pull a 2000 kg boat. I dont need the depreciation of a new EV, my FJ has only dropped 20k in 10 years. Came close to swapping it for a hybrid Rav4 last year but just put a set of tyres on the FJ and kept it. Did I consider an EV? No.

kazbanz, Jan 20, 8:07pm
I don't understand why hydrogen technology isn't being explored.

tony9, Jan 20, 8:21pm
It is, but production, storage, management and conversion into motive energy is inefficient and expensive at this point.

intrade, Jan 20, 8:30pm
hydrogen is not as easy as it seems. The hydrogen escapes the tanks. it is why mercedes did abandoned the necar hydrogen fuelcell that was supposed to be a production car in 2004
https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite/en/instance/ko/25-Years-of-NECAR-1-The-fuel-cell-electric-drive-celebrates-its-birthday.xhtml?oid=43097958

apollo11, Jan 20, 8:47pm
Hydrogen has one major selling point- you can't fill up at home. Someone gets to produce it and sell it to consumers at a markup.
However you are still buying an ev, but it can have a smaller battery because the hydrogen fuel cell works as a range extender.
So imagine the explosion when the lithium ion battery catches fire and cooks the hydrogen tanks.

sw20, Jan 20, 9:15pm
You can buy/lease a Toyota Mirai in California already. Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicle. Already on the road.

https://www.toyota.com/search-inventory/page/results/year/2021/series/mirai/

807, Jan 20, 10:55pm
Toyota will die when the world ends .

apollo11, Jan 20, 11:08pm
So around ten years then (according to Greta).

s_nz, Jan 20, 11:56pm
It has been explored for decades. The issue is it doesn't really stack up for light vehicles.

s_nz, Jan 21, 12:04am
No harm in considering an EV, but at the moment the only EV that is rated to tow 2000kg is the very expensive Model X. Your fairly low annual mileage means there is relatively less fuel savings to be had from an EV. 200km day trips can be done on a single charge in pritty much every new electric vehicle these days, with stuff like the kona doing 450km. But you are correct, as with any new fast improving tech, the prices paid by early adorers are steep and depreciation is fast.

So yeah, sticking with your current car was a great call. Rav4 hybrid is only rated for 1500kg towing. The FJ with distinctive styling and no longer being sold in this part of the world is ripe to be a future collectible. Plus I hear they are great cars to own as long as you arn't too worried about blind-spots and don't use the back seats much.

keytag, Feb 1, 9:19pm
The electric elephant in the room when it comes to the cost of charging an EV is that (at this point) EV’s are not paying any road user levies.

Road user levies are currently generated via fuel tax, which is typically about 50-60% of the cost of the fuel.

So a $2/lite cost generates about $1-$1.20c in taxes, if you get 10kms per litre then this works out at about 10c per kilometre in tax, such that the government typically gets $1.2 billion per year in fuel taxes.

EV’s are not paying any road user taxes, EV’s are not paying for road construction or maintenance, they ride for free, so the more EV’s the less road tax generated.

Can the government afford to write off $1.2 billion in tax ?

The long answer is no, at some point EV’s will have to join the real world of user pays and start paying road user fees for the roads they ride on and they damage, like every other car.

Most probably at about 10c per km travelled.

So a 60kWh battery that currently costs about $15 to charge and which gives an approximate 400km range, is like to be charged a 400km @ 10c/km fee or a $40 road levy.

Making the real cost of the energy to travel 400kms = $55 versus about $80 in fuel for a similar petrol car.

keytag, Feb 1, 9:28pm
Another interesting dichotomy is that predominantly only wealthy people will be able to afford an EV.

Are we heading for a societal change where wealthy people get preferential charger parking spaces, low vehicle running costs, tax breaks, subsides and other benefits ?

Will $2,000-$5,000 runabout ICE cars become demonised, will lower socio-economic people who cannot afford to upgrade to a $40,000 EV get stung with higher and higher fuel and road taxes and greater depreciation on their $2,000 car ?

Feed the rich, screw the poor.

gammelvind, Feb 1, 9:52pm
Conversely if only the rich buy the cars they will push to have more charging stations so when the rest of us can afford EVs there will be enough ports.

bitsnpieces2020, Feb 2, 12:00pm
If EV production doesn't increase to toyotas impressive level of output, then the punters will lose patience with them, and no amount of 'clean green' marketing will get them back either.

apollo11, Feb 2, 12:14pm
A large chunk of these evs' cost is onboard electronics and the software development required to run them. They need to focus on getting the core product 'ie car' finely tuned before they try to produce an electronic marvel that can drive itself, open it's own doors and do celebratory dances.

moby, Feb 2, 2:20pm
The same issue also arises for bicycles, the cyclists are constantly pressing for more infrastructure to fit their needs yet they pay precisely nothing towards the costs of roads.

allan_mac, Feb 2, 3:15pm
Not quite true. Cyclists contribute to local roads through local rates:
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/planning-and-investment/planning/transport-planning/planning-for-local-roads/