Chipping the diesel for more kW and Nm

Page 2 / 2
vtecintegra, Sep 30, 6:18pm
The current Grand Cherokee and X3 are quite similar in size. The Jeep is an absolutely ancient design though and even when it came out was far from cutting edge.

wind.turbine, Sep 30, 8:24pm
I had thought about getting DPS to do my 07 3.2L triton as they have had good results but now its up at 300'000km I do wonder once done how long the running gear lasts and if it would chew the old clutch apart.

secca2, Sep 30, 9:44pm
MOBILE 027 275 7574

it's listed on the website

secca2, Sep 30, 9:46pm
PETER@SUPERCHIPS.CO.NZ

out curiosity what was the total cost for you?

skull, Sep 30, 10:08pm
It was $1099.00, roughly the price of one rear tyre on the bloody thing.

saki, Oct 1, 1:16pm
I live about 30 minutes away and Peter now owns Lambert engineering, that price surprised me, I have been looking at the range of cars covered and mine isnt there, hyundai ix35 turbo diesel, not bad grunt but there is always room for more, will drop in when I'm next in Masterton, if possible may consider the bluefin.

skull, Oct 1, 5:41pm
iX35 is on the UK Bluefin site so Peter will be able to get it. https://www.superchips.co.uk/

smallwoods, Oct 1, 9:13pm
Just had DPS rechip our Colorado at 48km.
The young fella said he'd never had one with so low k's.
I was really impressed with the difference.
Mate got his year old one done at the same time.
He tows a lot and was shocked at the increase, couldn't believe why he hadn't done it earlier.
Local agent is not worried that we did it regarding warranty either.
They did about 20km while I had it stored there.

topseycat, Oct 2, 2:17pm
Sounds more like a re-map rather than a re-chip. If re-chipping I think you have to let the Insurance company know because you are changing part of the car. A remap is when you change some of the parameters on the existing ECU. This is because engines are made in one country and exported to other countries to be assembled in different model cars that are the exported all over the world, where there are different emission regulations etc

skull, Oct 2, 3:21pm
Yes we are talking about remapping not rechipping as I incorrectly put in the title. I think we all understand what we are talking about though.

tweake, Oct 2, 5:08pm
chipping or remapping are effectively the same as far as insurance or ltsa is concerned.
its just remapping is harder to detect unless you put it on a dyno or emission test.
chipping typically has a box wired into the engine/ecu which an inspector can see.

mrcat1, Oct 4, 9:17am
On the modern trucks the god squad can plug a computer into the ECU and check on data before a crash.

sw20, Oct 4, 11:44am
Their tune, pun intended, will change when if you go to claim.

sw20, Oct 4, 11:45am
Service agent plugging in their scan tool into the OBD port will know straight away.

nesta129, Oct 4, 12:08pm
Correct and in the case of BMW,all the info thats logged will be sent to BMW NZ who will extract much more info on the car,like hard launches,top speed runs etc.
One unlucky bugger learnt that the hard way when he tried to claim warranty on his new M4 with BMW.

franc123, Oct 4, 12:57pm
https://youtu.be/U9tvln5JUW4

Something all of you considering this should see

saki, Oct 4, 1:40pm
I bet he's reffuring to the type of chip boxes that are available for sale on the web, a few resistors in a fancy plastic box full of epoxy.

tweake, Oct 4, 2:08pm
yes, but most people avoid going to service agent anyway because their tools can update and overwrite the flashed ecu, and then you have to go pay to get it all done again.

tweake, Oct 4, 2:16pm
no hes talking about all of them, including the good ones and including flashing the ecu.
aftermarket add on's is an easy way out of warranty claims for car companies.

one of the problems with flashing ecu etc is the aftermarket tune might be crap.
https://youtu.be/SNRrpev9jlI

saki, Oct 5, 5:19pm
The super chips pulsar refered to is not the same superchips as Peter James of masterton slightly different logo and that box of resistors is just an over priced Ebay item.

skull, Jan 25, 7:07am
My mistake was not resetting the display before the trip, the fuel use average covers from when it was remapped thru to when I arrived in New Plymouth and it is very much the same as it was before the remap. I did reset it when I filled up and the average for the return trip NP to Te Atatu Sth is 7.6 L per 100km. I'm too old to be a hoon so I'm just driving around the speed limit and only really using all the grunt I have for overtaking. It's just nice to have it available if I want it and the car feels much more alive with the remap. I discovered launch control the other day, not something I'd choose to use when mother is in the car with me, quite a violent experience.

smallwoods, Jan 25, 7:39am
Launch control should be easier on mother.
Lessens wheel spin.

Before remapping, the Colorado would semi wheel spin before computer picked it up, now does nearly a whole rotation then shoots off.

Tested on a straight stretch of road here.
Before remap it was 2 marker pegs to get to 100km/hr
After remap it was doing 80 at first marker and 120 at 2nd.

movnon, Jan 28, 12:38pm
I have a Hyundai i40 diesel (sw) all standard very eco (average about 6L/100 but has been as good as 4.6 in cool weather and sticking to open road limits. Tons of grunt will match most vehicle even leave plenty in my dust and handles like on rails.
Unless racing why would you want to rechip?
Just my opinion.

skull, Dec 26, 8:20am
Hyundai i40 104kW, 340Nm, claimed fuel consumption with the wind behind you on a flat road 5.1 litres per 100km
Some of us would be unhappy with 104 kW under the bonnet, I'm one of them. If it thrills you that's great, don't get a remap but just so you know a remap will find another 30kW with another 71 Nm which would certainly be noticeable especially the Newtons in your case.