Who do you report undisclosed dealers to?

imadeyouthink, Sep 4, 8:19am
I had MVTA in my mind but doesn't seem to be that. I have reported to TradeMe, but want to go up a level, as I have reported others from this seller previously but don't think they did much, if anything.

PS I would be cool to find a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 Gls at $1 reserve :)

serf407, Sep 4, 8:51am

tgray, Sep 4, 9:08am
I reported a repeat unregistered car dealer to the Commerce Commission once and eventually got a letter back saying that whilst they acknowledge the illegal trading, a shortage of staffing and resources means no action will be taken in this instance.

kazbanz, Sep 4, 9:41am
It is Commerce Commission you report them to.
But you do need to be sure they aren't actually a dealer.
That's the "other" trick the carpetbaggers use.

franc123, Sep 4, 10:04am
Don't waste your time.

saxman99, Sep 4, 10:05am
I guess if it’s illegal report it to the cops, but as franc says it’ll likely be an exercise in futility.

bumfacingdown, Sep 4, 10:07am
Let all the real dealers in their area know, my experience is they achieve more than an individual non-dealer does

skull, Sep 4, 11:25am
201 Pollen St Thames is the main drag, it's unlikely someone unlicensed would have a yard full of cars for sale in a dealers yard in this position and hope to fly under the radar.

saxman99, Sep 4, 11:35am
The address given above appears to be for a well-known brand franchise dealer. My guess is someone there is selling an old end-of-life vehicle (Trade-in?) privately because the company doesn’t want to provide any kind of support for it.

kazbanz, Sep 4, 11:35am
Yea we get them a slap in the face with a dry bus ticket instead of a wet one

bumfacingdown, Sep 4, 12:49pm
Slightly misinterpreted kaz, but from past more complaints by Reg dealers the more likely it gets looked at.
Maybe things have changed in the last 20 or so years?

kazbanz, Sep 4, 1:44pm
nahh I got your point mate and mine was on that basis. END result being a tiny bit more but stuff all in reality.

bumfacingdown, Sep 4, 1:55pm
Yeah, IRD might be more interested

imadeyouthink, Sep 4, 2:14pm
Yup. Pretty much my point. They are trying to contract out of the CGA or whatever other legalities they need to follow by pretending this is a private sale. Their feedback is full of these cars. Do you think Mitsubishi head Office would have any interest?

kazbanz, Sep 4, 2:45pm
Ohh my gosh that is funny.
I swear on my long dead gramma this is true.
My family owned and ran the Pub that was located on that site.
It was Called the Warwick Arms. -"the fishermans pub"
They sold out and the place was bulldozed and subdivided into the S@@@@ Motors site and some houses on grey street.
Mum n dad now live about 300 m from there
The trader concerned works for S#### Motors.
I'd put money that come pickup the paperwork lines up.
BUT they ARE a motor vehicle trader so no question dealer should be on all their adverts so a buyer is aware they have cover under the CGA.

tgray, Sep 4, 4:13pm
With auction sales, dealers must include a Consumer Information Notice in their ad, because the buyer is entering a contract to buy online.
Just sayin.

kazbanz, Sep 4, 4:35pm
And buyers have full cover under them CGA etc. It would be interesting to see someone test the point with this trader

joanie04, Sep 4, 9:09pm
I worked in Thames for years. The original business owner was a family acquaintance and an accountancy client with another venture. I remember the Warwick Arms, a few accountancy fishermen clients frequented there.

A bit of a trip down memory lane Kaz to do remember the Lady Bowen?

imadeyouthink, Sep 4, 10:26pm
Was recently listed on here for sale. Although that is maybe why you were mentioning it anyway :)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/real-estate/119641067/historic-hotelturnedhome-for-sale-in-thames-has-very-low-rv

tgray, Sep 5, 9:00am
A family home? Geez, I would get lost in there.

kazbanz, Sep 5, 12:03pm
keep in mind I was a kid at the time. member of the local ATC squadron
Lady Bowen of course.
The "Briney" --Brian Boru . The Sally ---Salutation.
We were there when the Cornwall shut down then when it got rebuilt as the Razza/workingmans club. The Junction. The Impy---Imperial
Dad and I repainted the roof of the Warwick and put all the shields along the railings.

kazbanz, Nov 25, 11:18am
Unfortunately its still in a bit of a state. Cheap to buy but it'll cost a fortune to renovate.